Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why will some markets have Snapdragon and others Exynos?

Looking at the results from benchmark testing on GSMArena's Alpha Preview, the Exynos chipset looks to be as good or better than the S801 chipset represented by the S5. Why would they bring a different chipset to the US for instance versus the rest of the world when the Exynos looks to get the job done? I'm not up on the latest in the chipset wars etc... so any insight would be helpful.
  2. Best Answer

Short answer without all the details.. Its pretty much been that way for most phones coming to the US market. Exynos is international and Snapdragon for the states.

Default Re: Why will some markets have Snapdragon and others Exynos?

Short answer without all the details.. Its pretty much been that way for most phones coming to the US market. Exynos is international and Snapdragon for the states.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I don't mind the details. What are they?

Posted via the Android Central App

Snapdragon has been the best so far, it's nice for Exynos chip to get back on top. I hope they bring it here in South Africa.

Posted via Android Central App
    AC Team Emeritus

ROM
    Stock

It mostly has to do with band support. Qualcomm has better band support than Samsung does with the Exynos.

There's probably more, too, like overall cost, but the major reason is LTE band support.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g likes this.

ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

LTE like others are saying. More bands can be supported with 801 because modem is integrated. I'm not sure about LTE with the Exynos but I'm guessing they have to add another chip for that connectivity which likely may be made by Qualcomm anyways (or Intel, like rumored for future Samsung devices). Helps cut down on cost and potential supply issues too as Samsung's been doing things a lot differently it seems since they started doing the Exynos 5 series processors. It'll be a little while before we see high end Exynos processors with LTE in phones and tablets in North America.

Exynos uses Intel's XMM 7260 which supports CAT 6 LTE-A (not available in 801). Total 21 band supported. Don't think the support is any less than 801.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    We usually get the Snapdragon variant in the UK and I guess the rest of Europe. I think Asia and the middle east get the exynos version.

Posted from my S5
    Live Long and Prosper!

All good answers. End of the day its more about the Snapdragon being more frequency/band friendly with less fuss. Doesn't mean its necessarily a better over all processor than Exynos but in terms of compatibility for carriers its easier to work with.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I like Paul627g answers and his spunk. I love when someone knows what they are talking about.