Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 keeps "forgetting" my google account and settings

Brian Alexander4

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi anyone else experiencing this issue?
I bought a Samsung Galaxy camera 2 about a month ago and every other time that I power on after not using it for a few days it "forgets my google account / settings / info" and prompts me to setup a backup account which i've already done 10 times.

I have auto sync enabled and have tried a factory reset and nothing seems to help any idea if there is a update coming out to fix this bug?

My GF has a lenovo HD+ which had the same issue and they patched it within 10 days I would expect the same sort of results from Samsung?

Steve Withers

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 also forgets the google account. What annoys me most is that it downloads all the apps I have on my phone after I login again....and i don't want most of these apps on my camera.

I have been considering creating a Google account *just* for my camera instead of using the same account I use on all my other devices. I suspect this may fix the problem. I'll test it now and see if it makes any difference.

Robert Leonardo

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here.
I consider myself lucky if the Google account stays for more than 3 days. Very irritating given I am using the device for Google account connectivity.
A few folks at XDA Developers have a thread on this too.

goaliefight

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. Did a reset. Tried to update. Even created a new Google account. Still loses the Google account after a day or two. Super annoying.

Samsung support was no help and blamed Google for a problem with their camera. Sending it back. It just sucks for me because this camera solved a particular need that I had.

Internetpilot

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised to still see this as a problem when I just purchased my GC2 (thought for sure Samsung would have fixed it by now), but my account already disappeared twice in 24 hours, one of the times I was actually using the camera, so it's not a matter of only when the camera is idle for a period of time. I thought that maybe I accidentally deleted it when navigating the settings menu, but when actually tried to "accidentally on purpose" delete it again, it's a multiple step confirmation process, so it's not something that a stray finger will do by accident.

Anyway, I tried to email Samsung support about it, but....go figure...there is no Camera category listed on their form mail and it's a required field to submit the email. Gee, I wonder why they haven't heard anything about the problem? So I chose to chat with support instead. I expected to get the run-around from them on whether or not it was actually a problem, but the support tech immediately replied back that I should force stop the Google Account Manager app, as well as clear cache and data for it, and then reboot the camera. They seemed pretty confident that would solve the problem, so we'll see if my account continues to disappear.

I have to say that I have had similar issues on my other Android devices, especially when flashing a new ROM, etc., and clearing data/cache on Google Framework and Google Account Manager has solved similar Google account issues in the past. Fingers crossed....

Oh, they also said they would notify the web team that the support form mail wasn't listing full product options.

Update: Did not last overnight.... turned on the camera this morning and it was gone again.

Last edited:

Internetpilot

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I've discovered a work-around solution -- I turned off the Fast power-on feature (Settings/More/Power/Fast Power-on). I haven't haven't had the Google account disappear nor the wallpaper (which usually happens at the same time) in almost 48 hours. Of course, the caveat to that is that is that it can take longer to startup your camera after it's been idle for a while, but you can resolve that issue by increasing the auto power off from the default 1 hour to something more.

goaliefight

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If this works I will kiss you. :-*

Update: Tried the above solution but it did not work. The settings were lost after a few days. :'(

Update 2: I finally was able to get this issue escalated beyond level 1 support at Samsung (which was a nightmare). They want me to send the unit in for review. I told them this issue affects multiple users like the ones on this and other forums. Hopefully I can get them to take notice of the software issue and get it fixed for all of us.

Last edited:

Brian Alexander4

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So its been 6 weeks since anyone has posted... Does anyone have any further news? my galaxy camera 2 still drops my google account constantly I find myself having to give myself an extra 5-10 min to turn on my camera and set it up before going out.
I must say I'm very disappointed in samsung at this point would have expected them to fix such a simple issue immediately, anyone know if this camera will be getting 5.0 lolipop?
Doubt I'll ever buy another samsung product after this experience.

Also as stated previously just getting through to anyone at Samsung is a nightmare alone, seems like they just mass produce products and then forget about them, never to be updated / suported again

Jeremy2718

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone having this problem who doesn't use two factor authentication on their Google Account?

I tried resetting the camera multiple times, and I would sometimes lose the account within minutes. Finally I tried doing it with a separate Google account with no 2 factor authentication, and it has gone a few hours without losing the account information. I'll update this thread if it keeps working or stops working, but I was curious to know if anyone else tried this.

Jeremy2178

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone having this problem who doesn't use two factor authentication on their Google Account?

I tried resetting the camera multiple times, and I would sometimes lose the account within minutes. Finally I tried doing it with a separate Google account with no 2 factor authentication, and it has gone a few hours without losing the account information. I'll update this thread if it keeps working or stops working, but I was curious to know if anyone else tried this.

Update: Nope, it was fine for a couple of days, then it lost the new account. I'm returning it for a refund. It seems kind of pointless to have a full Android stack if it can't maintain account credentials.

rcatron

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
This is obviously a big problem with this camera. I have actually had two (the first I dropped in a river and ruined it, but Samsung actually gave me a new one - out of warranty mind you - for $80 which I simply couldn't believe).

Anyway, both of my cameras had this issue since I purchased them (the first was back in March of this year). As a matter of fact, this morning, it simply will not keep the backup account (or any of my Google accounts for that matter) - more than 10-15 minutes.

Truly annoying...looks like we are left out in the cold on this issues....very frustrating...

sahaller

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem, too, so I tried my luck with Samsung Tech Support. The rep tried to have me test the battery; when I asked what the battery had to do with my software settings, he choked and told me to send it in to be repaired. I sent it, hoping there was finally a solution to the issue. The repair tech told me there was nothing to repair; it's a software problem and an update was coming "soon."

EDIT: Firmware update was released last night. So far so good for me!

Last edited: