Interested?

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Without some hard specs it's hard to say for sure, but is anyone really interested in the Galaxy Gear smart watch compared to the other devices already out there? I'm particularly interested in if anyone would be interested in migrating from a Pebble or MetaWatch.

My gut reaction is that it's complexity is going to be it's downfall, and that I really like the simple approach the Pebble provides. I'm interested in hearing some use cases where the Galaxy Gear could really shine, though.

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in it for sure. I feel like the camera is a bit unsightly but on the black watch its less noticeable so that will probably be the one I'd get. Black is fashion neutral anyway. Overall it looks like a solid build and I think the face of the watch looks great.
The software leaves something to be desired even though we haven't seen much of it yet. I was hoping to see different clock styles and themes.
The price will also be a big factor with this too. I will not spend over 100 dollars for what I've seen so far.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
A smart watch needs to focus on what it does best... notifications. The screen of a wearable watch is too small to make anything other than a frustrating experience. The camera idea also seems pretty silly to me. Maybe more information will make it more appealing though.

Posted via Android Central App

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
do you want to wear a tablet on your wrist? If the screen got any bigger it'd look stupid.

edit: Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch hands-on (video)

Sorry AC but Engadget covered this WAAAAY more in depth than you did. The Galaxy Gear is going to cost 299!!! Yeah, no thanks... I'll wait a few years after the market is flooded with more smart watches.

teamfoster03

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was very interested till I noticed the $299 price and not available in the US till October. Looks like im back on the wait and see side of smart watches.
The color screen is a big plus for my use.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
do you want to wear a tablet on your wrist? If the screen got any bigger it'd look stupid.

Oh yeah I agree they can't be any bigger but that's my point they should focus on something simple that just shows notifications as anything else is ridiculous on a watch. Just my opinion.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. No, because it only for Samsung devices(with future update)
So if I buy other device after my contract is over I have no use for this device.

2. Google watch might be generic device for all Android devices So it wont be depended to any device.

3. Price is high and I can bet Google glass can be cheaper

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I had high hopes, but nope, I'm not interested at all.

First it's at least $150 more than I'd spend on a smart watch. For $300 I can get a pretty decent watch that won't be obsolete in a few years and will retain its value way better.

What I want from a smart watch is something that gives me notifications and lets me control my phone with Tasker. The Pebble does this alright, but not good enough. I'd rather just tap on and swipe on the screen than use physical buttons. The Sony smart watch does it much better:

How to use the Sony Smartwatch with Tasker - Pocketables

but looks more like an iPod than a watch and it could all be integrated much better. The Samsung appears as if it will just do a bunch of Samsung stuff with Samsung phones. I actually have a Samsung phone, but I want something way more generic. I'll probably be left waiting another generation or two before something comes out that does everything I want, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and looks like something worth wearing. I want it to look like a watch, not like a tiny gadget strapped to my wrist.

Jlav78

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I was really frustrated with Samsung after this today, over an hour at my computer waiting for the gear and then "compatible with 4 devices". The market isn't big enough for such a small audience

Posted via Android central app on my LG Google Nexus 4

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Price could be an issue, I'd spend $200, $250 max for a smartwatch. I am still interested though and will probably grab the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hell no, not for $299. Its looks the same as the iPod Nano + watch strap holder thing that I have around my house somewhere that I got a couple years ago. Meh, pretty disappointed with this. I don't see this being very popular.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, $300 is kind of unpalatable. $200 I could see, but unless there's some awesome wiz-bang feature that sets it apart from all other wearable devices (and a camera on the watchband ain't it) I don't see this coming out ahead of the Pebble, Agent, or Hot Watch.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I?ll have to see one in person. I might get one if I get a Note 3...I love gadges. Hopefully, its functionality will increase with time.

Sent from my humble S4/Note 8.0/Note 10.1

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What makes $300 an unattractive price point when people will spend thousands on a dumb watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would think 300$ is a steal, you'll still see droves of people buy the 500$ Xbox one and get ripped off but hey to each their own.

Apply my sarcasm anywhere you want;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet