Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Interested?

Going to use myself as an example.

I like the idea of a smartwatch for these functions without having to pull up my phone.

Important Notifications( I like to know if somebody important is texting me or sending me an email)
    Answer or decline phone calls
    Have stock quotes streaming
    A pedometer fitness tracking tool

Yes my smartphone can do all this but the idea for me is not pulling out my phone for minor functions.

Here is what I don't need.

A camera
    A multimedia device(headphones out of watch is going to be more awkward than a phone)
    1 day battery life???
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

NO WAY for $300.
    I like the idea of the panic button and camera sending a pic to emergency contacts. I think that would be a great safety feature for my son (in a few years, he's only 17mo, lol), and my wife. But $300? I know you can't put a price on peace of mind, but there has to be cheaper alternatives to that. I can buy a Nexus for that and strap it to my frickin wrist!

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

My biggest concern is what will happen to my bluetooth headset functionality? I listen to about 5 hours of podcasts a day , and I can't use a corded headset to do it . Can the Note 3 use Bluetooth to connect to both simultaneously ? If not, the Gear is far less appealing to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Almost everyone has a smartphone in there pocket. I don't think this watch will change people from pulling out their gs4 or note 3(and other Android phones that might be supported in the future) for pictures, video, sharing photos or even notifications.

Sent from my HTC One

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Almost everyone has a smartphone in there pocket. I don't think this watch will change people from pulling out their gs4 or note 3(and other Android phones that might be supported in the future) for pictures, video, sharing photos or even notifications.

Sent from my HTC One
    I rarely, if ever, put my phone in my pocket (but I know what you meant

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

I want a smartwatch just to receive notifications with options to read texts and small emails I don't need to make phone calls with it. My Note 2 is kind of to big to keep pulling it out of my pocket if I'm waiting for a text. I think the the Sony Smartwatch 2 is more my speed. I wish they would have the option for a GPS golf app connected to the phone for the GPS part to keep costs down, so I wouldn't have to get a separate watch that does that. I think if these smartwatch especially did that more people would probably buy that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm not a watch wearing kind of guy and the Galaxy Gear won't change that. It's a great idea and I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from such a device. I'll have to wait and see how something like this can be used in my day-to-day before deciding on picking one up.

Not interested.

First, battery life. Samsung says with fair usage, it will last a day. But you know how some of use get carried away with new gadgets. For sure we'll be using it daily and try to integrate the device with out daily lives and end up realizing that we are wearing a watch that wouldnt last us a day.

Second, connectivity. Yes, we have android phones but some of us dont use samsung (assuming that the gear may be paired with other samsung devices other than the Note 3). Some of us use phones by HTC, LG, Motorola, etc and even when we are interested, it isnt compatible with our device.

Third, price. 299 dollars is too much. I can buy a New Nexus with that money.

If it were to buy a smartwatch, I'd buy a Pebble watch or this new Kickstarter project called Kreyos Meteor (well, if it proves better than the pebble). Just my opinion on the matter.

I like it but I think 299 is a little to much pay for something that can't get replace.

Well im coming from the Note 2 and ill be picking up the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear. I like how you can wear anything with the watch (especially the black band) If you are just out and about change it to the digital sporty face, if you put on a suit or shirt and tie switch it to the roman numeral face. Plus when driving, a lot of times im relaxing sort of leaning up against the left side of the window with my left hand propping my head up, perfect position to talk right from the watch. Cant wait!

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

It is a neat solution looking for a problem now isn't it?

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    Depends on the price.

It will be a downfall that it only is compatible with certain devices rather than all Android.
    Its $299 and will eventually be compatible with all Android devices. I want one!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I pre-ordered it with my GN3 so I get 14 days to test it out. If I don't like it I send it back and get a refund. My big question is how do we get the battery serviced, after all I am not tossing it out in a year when the battery fails to hold a decent charge.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I pre-ordered it with my GN3 so I get 14 days to test it out. If I don't like it I send it back and get a refund. My big question is how do we get the battery serviced, after all I am not tossing it out in a year when the battery fails to hold a decent charge.
    ...send it back to Samsung and they charge you to replace the battery.

Live long and prosper.

And $299 is no money for a decent watch anyway, if that's a issue some people should be looking into knockoff Gshocks or something.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by icellphones32 View Post
    And $299 is no money for a decent watch anyway, if that's a issue some people should be looking into knockoff Gshocks or something.
    lol...those things are fugly.

The Order Odonata...there can be only one.
    Live long and prosper.

My wife thinks my Pebble looks too goony. Anything bigger might end my marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    My wife thinks my Pebble looks too goony. Anything bigger might end my marriage.
    Bigger has ended a lot of marriages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    Raptor007 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Bigger has ended a lot of marriages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    I...I think I got that.

Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by icellphones32 View Post
    And $299 is no money for a decent watch anyway,
    Yeah, but decent watches also don't go obsolete. There's no guarantee that the Gear will do anything useful in 10 years. I have a <$100 watch that's 15+ years old that works exactly as well now as it did back then. I inherited a watch from my grandpa that was over 40 years old that worked just as well when I got it as it did the day he got it. Who knows if this $300 watch will do anything useful in, or even survive 10 years? This is a gadget that also acts as a watch, it's not really a watch so comparing it to an actual watch as far as pricing is concerned doesn't make a whole lot of sense. $300 might not be a lot for a good watch, but it is a lot for a tiny gadget.
    Raptor007 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Again, this is a new(ish) class of device. I believe prices may fall. Hopefully, enough useful functionality is there for these to take off.

Sony XTZ
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    ...send it back to Samsung and they charge you to replace the battery.

I am no stranger to sending in my time pieces for service, my Tag Heuer requires service and it runs me $300 every time to get the battery swapped out and serviced of course. It can only be done by Tag Heuer service center in NJ. My Breitling also requires service when I want to send it in, every few years for a nice polishing, gaskets, test and tune. I have a Citizen Titanium watch that I have had for 20+ years and simply refused to send that out every time to get the battery done and gaskets done, I don't swim deep enough to worry about it and I always take y time pieces off in the water anyways. But with the Samsung being a tech toy my concern isn't them charging for the battery, how long, 1 year, 2 years before it needs the service and WILL they actually still support it at that point since tech moves so quickly.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Yeah, but decent watches also don't go obsolete. There's no guarantee that the Gear will do anything useful in 10 years. I have a <$100 watch that's 15+ years old that works exactly as well now as it did back then. I inherited a watch from my grandpa that was over 40 years old that worked just as well when I got it as it did the day he got it. Who knows if this $300 watch will do anything useful in, or even survive 10 years? This is a gadget that also acts as a watch, it's not really a watch so comparing it to an actual watch as far as pricing is concerned doesn't make a whole lot of sense. $300 might not be a lot for a good watch, but it is a lot for a tiny gadget.
    I agree completely that we can't expect the GG to be useful in 10 years as a time piece but the technology used to make them will also bring the price down, added tech into them and we simply won't worry about the $150 price point at that time. Heck that's the cost of one tire on a car these days.

I'm just saying they have to be considered a gadget with respect to price, not a watch. I, and many others apparently, think that $300 is too much for a gadget who's sole purpose is to make it so I don't have to reach into my pocket as much. $100-$150 is much closer to what I'd spend for something like that. For $300 I can get an actual nice watch who's value won't depreciate to almost zero in a few years.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I'm just saying they have to be considered a gadget with respect to price, not a watch. I, and many others apparently, think that $300 is too much for a gadget who's sole purpose is to make it so I don't have to reach into my pocket as much. $100-$150 is much closer to what I'd spend for something like that. For $300 I can get an actual nice watch who's value won't depreciate to almost zero in a few years.
    You may be able to say the same thing about phones. It all depends how much value you equate to $300. For some, that is a lot, for some that is miniscule...for some it's somewhere in between. If $300 is a lot then a smartwatch may not represent much value.

Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast