Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Default Interested?

Without some hard specs it's hard to say for sure, but is anyone really interested in the Galaxy Gear smart watch compared to the other devices already out there? I'm particularly interested in if anyone would be interested in migrating from a Pebble or MetaWatch.

My gut reaction is that it's complexity is going to be it's downfall, and that I really like the simple approach the Pebble provides. I'm interested in hearing some use cases where the Galaxy Gear could really shine, though.

Default Re: Interested?

Depends on the price.

It will be a downfall that it only is compatible with certain devices rather than all Android.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I am interested in it for sure. I feel like the camera is a bit unsightly but on the black watch its less noticeable so that will probably be the one I'd get. Black is fashion neutral anyway. Overall it looks like a solid build and I think the face of the watch looks great.
    The software leaves something to be desired even though we haven't seen much of it yet. I was hoping to see different clock styles and themes.
    The price will also be a big factor with this too. I will not spend over 100 dollars for what I've seen so far.

A smart watch needs to focus on what it does best... notifications. The screen of a wearable watch is too small to make anything other than a frustrating experience. The camera idea also seems pretty silly to me. Maybe more information will make it more appealing though.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

do you want to wear a tablet on your wrist? If the screen got any bigger it'd look stupid.

edit:

Sorry AC but Engadget covered this WAAAAY more in depth than you did. The Galaxy Gear is going to cost 299!!! Yeah, no thanks... I'll wait a few years after the market is flooded with more smart watches.

I was very interested till I noticed the $299 price and not available in the US till October. Looks like im back on the wait and see side of smart watches.
    The color screen is a big plus for my use.

It's also only compatible with certain Samsung devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastnv View Post
    do you want to wear a tablet on your wrist? If the screen got any bigger it'd look stupid.
    Oh yeah I agree they can't be any bigger but that's my point they should focus on something simple that just shows notifications as anything else is ridiculous on a watch. Just my opinion.

1. No, because it only for Samsung devices(with future update)
    So if I buy other device after my contract is over I have no use for this device.

2. Google watch might be generic device for all Android devices So it wont be depended to any device.

3. Price is high and I can bet Google glass can be cheaper

I was looking forward to this watch and I am disappointed.

I had high hopes, but nope, I'm not interested at all.

First it's at least $150 more than I'd spend on a smart watch. For $300 I can get a pretty decent watch that won't be obsolete in a few years and will retain its value way better.

What I want from a smart watch is something that gives me notifications and lets me control my phone with Tasker. The Pebble does this alright, but not good enough. I'd rather just tap on and swipe on the screen than use physical buttons. The Sony smart watch does it much better:

but looks more like an iPod than a watch and it could all be integrated much better. The Samsung appears as if it will just do a bunch of Samsung stuff with Samsung phones. I actually have a Samsung phone, but I want something way more generic. I'll probably be left waiting another generation or two before something comes out that does everything I want, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and looks like something worth wearing. I want it to look like a watch, not like a tiny gadget strapped to my wrist.

I was really frustrated with Samsung after this today, over an hour at my computer waiting for the gear and then "compatible with 4 devices". The market isn't big enough for such a small audience

Posted via Android central app on my LG Google Nexus 4

Price could be an issue, I'd spend $200, $250 max for a smartwatch. I am still interested though and will probably grab the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Hell no, not for $299. Its looks the same as the iPod Nano + watch strap holder thing that I have around my house somewhere that I got a couple years ago. Meh, pretty disappointed with this. I don't see this being very popular.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Yeah, $300 is kind of unpalatable. $200 I could see, but unless there's some awesome wiz-bang feature that sets it apart from all other wearable devices (and a camera on the watchband ain't it) I don't see this coming out ahead of the Pebble, Agent, or Hot Watch.

I am not too sure about spending that much for a smart watch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Agree on all points. Too expensive, too bulky, and who needs a 1.3mp camera on their wrist? If you want to see some more photos of the gear check out this site.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Ill have to see one in person. I might get one if I get a Note 3...I love gadges. Hopefully, its functionality will increase with time.

Sent from my humble S4/Note 8.0/Note 10.1
    Live long and prosper.

What makes $300 an unattractive price point when people will spend thousands on a dumb watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

I would think 300$ is a steal, you'll still see droves of people buy the 500$ Xbox one and get ripped off but hey to each their own.

Apply my sarcasm anywhere you want

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    I would think 300$ is a steal, you'll still see droves of people buy the 500$ Xbox one and get ripped off but hey to each their own.

Apply my sarcasm anywhere you want

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I think people would pay 300 dollars for this watch if it had something more stellar about it.

To me it isn't about pricepoint, it is about what the watch is and isn't.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    I think people would pay 300 dollars for this watch if it had something more stellar about it.

To me it isn't about pricepoint, it is about what the watch is and isn't.
    I think its functionality will grow since its software based so I won't be too hard on it. I love watches and to me there's no such thing as too many. Besides the usual "What can/will it do?" my questions are how durable is it? Is it HIGHLY scratch resistant? How is it going to affect my Note 3's battery life?

I'll have to continue to do research.

Sent from my humble Note 10.1/Note 8.0/S4
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I think its functionality will grow since its software based so I won't be too hard on it. I love watches and to me there's no such thing as too many. Besides the usual "What can/will it do?" my questions are how durable is it? Is it HIGHLY scratch resistant? How is it going to affect my Note 3's battery life?

I'll have to continue to do research.

Sent from my humble Note 10.1/Note 8.0/S4
    The design and setup of the camera in the wristband bugs the heck out of me, that alone is a turn off and really not needed.

I am not interested. First of all I wear a watch because it's elegant. Second, I have no idea what this watch can be used for. Anything other than notifications? Camera in a 1,63'' screen? Seriously? If they had installed a spy cam in the watch, it would be useful for at least something for THIS price, but that was not the goal. I guess I can already do anything what I want with my phone, so as long as these devices don't provide something special, something new, they will soon be yesterday's news. And don't forget that some companies tried coming out with smart watches a decade earlier. I know the world has changed a lot since then, but still. I have a notebook and a phone. But do I need a smart watch as well?

Would never do it. Totally like my Citizen Eco-Drive watch and phone is always with me for doing smart things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast