Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Airplanes...

Will we have to turn our watch off while on an Airplane? Does the watch sleep during lack of Bluetooth connections? OR does the watch kill its self trying to find a connection? I fly a lot and if I had to turn my watch off that would stop me from buying one.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    7,650 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Airplanes...

Quote Originally Posted by pjcruiser View Post
    Will we have to turn our watch off while on an Airplane? Does the watch sleep during lack of Bluetooth connections? OR does the watch kill its self trying to find a connection? I fly a lot and if I had to turn my watch off that would stop me from buying one.

Thoughts?
    This is a great question! Technically, the airline may ask to have smart watches turned off because they are transmitting/receiving wireless signals just as phones do. Only time will tell and hopefully there's an efficient way to do this for those frequent fliers .

Global Posts
    5,005 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Has it ever been proven that a wireless radio interferes with the planes systems, no. But they are looking at making it less restrictive. After all we don't want those out of control flight crews calling the TSA on us do we. Given them a little power and it goes right to their heads.

Recently learned that flight crews are fined by the FAA (not TSA) if they don't enforce the rules, which everyone knows are silly. (FAA is "studying" them now.) Should be fairly easy to hide smartwatch if they do try to make you turn it off.

I would think just turn off Bluetooth on the gear job done as no other aerials ect.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

You will officially have to turn Bluetooth off, which is relatively easy to do via the watch. Will they ever ask you to? I'd bet my watch that will not happen anytime soon.

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Technically your watch and or phone has no effect on the plane or its equipment. Fact. Read into a bit and you'll see the evidence is there. I don't think they will say a thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If you turn your phone off, the Bluetooth disconnects by itself. The watch then is functioning solely as a watch, is this not so???

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    If you turn your phone off, the Bluetooth disconnects by itself. The watch then is functioning solely as a watch, is this not so???
    Its still potentially sending out a signal. Those that are more well versed on the subject might be able to confirm if a BT device is not connected or actively seeking a pair, is it actually emitting a signal.