Tips and Tricks for the Galaxy Gear

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The Gear is pretty intuitive, but I thought that it would be a good idea to have one place to find tips and tricks that help us enjoy the Gear even more.

-You can change the settings for the double-tap of the power key by going to the Gear Manager on your phone, select settings, then Double pressing power key.
There are many options to include launching the camera and launching S Voice.

-You can set a pattern lock to keep your Gear secure by going into settings on the Gear and selecting Privacy Lock.

-Double-tap with two fingers on any screen to bring up volume control, brightness control, battery level and Bluetooth status.

-You can set which arm you normally wear your Gear on by going to settings on the Gear, select Sound, then Preferred Arm.

Das has put up many useful tips in other threads. I hope that he and others post helpful hints here.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I was not aware of the double tap on the screen to access the battery level, volume, and brightest controls. Thank you :)

Posted via Android Central App

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
If you go into the camera app and turn on signature, all pictures taken with the Gear will indicate such.

Also, be advised that there is a small piece of plastic film covering the camera lense. You should remove this plastic and your picture quality may improve. The plastic is hard to notice at first glance but it's there. :)

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If you go into your call log, pick a contact, then swipe left across the screen it will start voice command to send a text to that contact. If you do the same and swipe right it will call that contact.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I just found out that you can change the name of the Gear in the Gear Manager app located on your phone.

Also, one of the best apps I've found in the Samsung app store for the Gear is EasilyDo. EasilyDo will provide you with a lot of helpful information right on your Gear. Like Google Now, it will alert me before leaving the house what the traffic conditions are. It's all powered by Google, but the information is displayed right on the Gear without having to pick up the phone.

ttexxan

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is a tip...If getting a call and don't want to answer you can simply place hand over phone with palm touching screen to ignore call. Or could just slide to ignore on screen. However in a pinch you could just cover with palm to be less noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If you go to the Gear Manager on the Note 3, select Samsung Apps, then Clock, there are some apps there that will allow you to change your watch face.

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Tip: If you hold down the power button until the screen pops up with options to Power Off and Restart you can also toggle through Mute/Vibrate/Sound, and set the Gear to Outdoor Mode. It ratchets up the brightness to high for outside use.

RBChamp

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
If you go into your call log, pick a contact, then swipe left across the screen it will start voice command to send a text to that contact. If you do the same and swipe right it will call that contact.

This works from contacts as well. Not just in the call logs.

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
TIP: Make your own screen protector from unused skins you have lying around.

I'm one to cover my gadgets with clear skins to protect them (I resell on ebay, so this is important to me). I always have extra bits and pieces of skins I save in a large folder. I decided to use a piece to make a screen protector for the Gear. I'm certain I'll get scratches just like any other watch I've owned.

Use the Gear's charging case as your sizing guide: Open it up, lay the top with the opening down on the skin, use an ink pen to trace the inside edges of the opening, then cut (you'll want to cut it a bit smaller than your outline so you don't have edges hanging over), and apply. Works like a charm and doesn't diminish the touch capability, nor obscure the display in any way. Now I at least have some level of protection from scratches.

I also adhered a small square piece to the metal clasp of the Gear strap. I can see that getting scratched up first and most. I imagine I'll have to replace that often, but better than the alternative. EDIT: Make sure to cut a small square out in the middle of it to accommodate those two tiny openings on the clasp face.

Last edited:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I'm one to cover my gadgets with clear skins to protect them (I resell on ebay, so this is important to me). I always have extra bits and pieces of skins I save in a large folder. I decided to use a piece to make a screen protector for the Gear. I'm certain I'll get scratches just like any other watch I've owned.

Use the Gear's charging case as your sizing guide: Open it up, lay the top with the opening down on the skin, use an ink pen to trace the inside edges of the opening, then cut (you'll want to cut it a bit smaller than your outline so you don't have edges hanging over), and apply. Works like a charm and doesn't diminish the touch capability, nor obscure the display in any way. Now I at least have some level of protection from scratches.

I also adhered a small square piece to the metal clasp of the Gear strap. I can see that getting scratched up first and most. I imagine I'll have to replace that often, but better than the alternative. EDIT: Make sure to cut a small square out in the middle of it to accommodate those two tiny openings on the clasp face.

I got two screen protectors coming for the GG from Amazon, they were about $6 each. Also, I have some screen protectors I had purchased online for the S4, which I returned. I think I will try to cut a piece off that,until the fitted ones arrive. So far, after two days of usage, no scratches..

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I got two screen protectors coming for the GG from Amazon, they were about $6 each. Also, I have some screen protectors I had purchased online for the S4, which I returned. I think I will try to cut a piece off that,until the fitted ones arrive. So far, after two days of usage, no scratches..

Who are you getting them from on Amazon, what vendor? I just couldn't bring myself to pay what I consider a high cost for something so small ... and that I could make easily myself. I have good quality pieces sitting about that I trust, so at least I know I'm putting on something that works well.

I've already got some subtle scratches on the clasp. I knew that was going to happen pretty fast ;-)

RBChamp

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site

The user manual states " Do not use a screen protector. This causes sensor malfunctions." Have you noticed any problems yet?

Sent from my SGN 10.1 2014 Edition Using Ac forums mobile app .

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The user manual states " Do not use a screen protector. This causes sensor malfunctions." Have you noticed any problems yet?

Absolutely none, and I've been jabbing at it all day doing show-and-tell at work. I have some higher end skins sitting about that are made for touch sensitive devices, so those are the ones I'm using on the Gear. Perhaps that's why it works so well? Not sure, but I'm not having any issues so far, and its maintaining the same soft level of touch as if none were on there.

RBChamp

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely none, and I've been jabbing at it all day doing show-and-tell at work. I have some higher end skins sitting about that are made for touch sensitive devices, so those are the ones I'm using on the Gear. Perhaps that's why it works so well? Not sure, but I'm not having any issues so far, and its maintaining the same soft level of touch as if none were on there.

Thanks for the info!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Who are you getting them from on Amazon, what vendor? I just couldn't bring myself to pay what I consider a high cost for something so small ... and that I could make easily myself. I have good quality pieces sitting about that I trust, so at least I know I'm putting on something that works well.

I've already got some subtle scratches on the clasp. I knew that was going to happen pretty fast ;-)

You are correct, I paid about $6 each for two different brands of screen protectors for the Gear, whereas, I had a couple unopened packs of screen protectors which I had purchased for an S4 but decided not to get it.

Well, in the last week, the Mobile Gods have been shining on me big time. Even with this little slip, if you can call it that, I am still way ahead of the game. My Gear cost me $209, and my Note 3 was free, and I got a Sandisk Utra 64gb Class 10 micro SD from Staples for $19.50 because of a misprint.. I am way, way ahead of the game.. :cool:

dlg_az#CB

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
You lucky so-and-so! Send some of that luck this way. Let me know how the screen protector are when you get then. I had read a few reviews that said they didn't quite cover the whole display area.

skmnz

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Great tips here, I have a couple of questions on taking a photo the option for share is greyed out, does anyone know how i can share the photo, secondly being a golfer i was interested in the phiGolf app that was meant to be launched with the Gear, but i cant find it anywhere any ideas?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie