Galaxy Gear Smartwatch - Help, can't get Email nor Text Message Alerts

jiman72

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, newbie here, my first Galaxy Gear post.
I was not able to download the Gear Manager pairing with my Galaxy S4 Active via NFC so I downloaded the app from the web. It turns out that few things work such as clock face, facebook alerts, make and receive phone calls, transfer photos but the one thing I wanted was to receive alerts for my email and text messages which I'm not getting. Anyone experience a similar issue, any suggestion to resolve this issue? So far I like the watch a lot and most likely keeping it :)

jiman72

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That is correct and the reason I downloaded the Gear Manager off the web. Most functions work except for few and one of the function is email and text alerts.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Experienced similar, yes. Have a solution, no.

Just have to wait out an apparent forthcoming update.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how they can release it without knowing that the email and txt alerts DON'T WORK. I mean isn't that a pretty big one.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how they can release it without knowing that the email and txt alerts DON'T WORK. I mean isn't that a pretty big one.

Easy- It's only officially working with the Note 3, which has full functionality. Anyone missing functions is using something else, like an S4.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
While I knew the Gear worked with the S4 I didn't know it worked with the S4 Active and didn't know about it only being semi-functional on anything other than the Note3.

Nexus 7

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not true, I have a GN3 on Verizon and I was not getting notifications and they were turned on my GN3.

There's something wrong with your devices or setup, I assume. The Gear is fully functional when paired with the Note 3.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I have one paired to a Galaxy Note 2. Everything works just fine but notifications and Svoice . I knew going in that would be the case.

Works
Find my gear
Find my phone
Contacts
Call logs
Calender entries
Make calls
Receive calls
Camera
Video camera
Transfers of pics and videos to the phone
Pedometer
Media control.. What's cool is whatever player you have launched will be controlled
Voice memo
Stop watch
Timer
Clock faces transfer just fine from gear manager

Doesn't work
Any kind of notifications including weather (needs 4.3 for this)
Svoice

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

jiman72

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have my Gear paired with an S4 Active and all work/not work as you have listed only that facebook and twitter alerts come in on mine.
I have one paired to a Galaxy Note 2. Everything works just fine but notifications and Svoice . I knew going in that would be the case.

Works
Find my gear
Find my phone
Contacts
Call logs
Calender entries
Make calls
Receive calls
Camera
Video camera
Transfers of pics and videos to the phone
Pedometer
Media control.. What's cool is whatever player you have launched will be controlled
Voice memo
Stop watch
Timer
Clock faces transfer just fine from gear manager

Doesn't work
Any kind of notifications including weather (needs 4.3 for this)
Svoice

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I get another one I will go over the configuration details again more closely, I must have just missed something in the setup.

npisyaj0

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 3 and I don't get notification nor weather either. Same goes for S Voice - doesn't work. All other options work fine. When someone has this figured out, please let me know so I can try and fix mine too.

Anyone know if we can return the Galaxy gear after just 3 days of use and not being satisfied with it?

Thanks.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 3 and I don't get notification nor weather either. Same goes for S Voice - doesn't work. All other options work fine. When someone has this figured out, please let me know so I can try and fix mine too.

Anyone know if we can return the Galaxy gear after just 3 days of use and not being satisfied with it?

Thanks.

Welcome to posting in the forums!

Are you using the stock email app and still not getting notifications? It looks like it only works with the Accuweather widget as far as weather updates go. You should be able to return it but that really boils down to where you purchased it from and their policy. Best Buy will take it back for a full refund for 15 day (45 day for Elite Plus members). I know AT&T will take it back for 14 days but will charge a 10% restocking fee. ...so yeah, it depends on where you purchased it.

Lrcmom12

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the note 3 and the samsung gear. Everything is fine but i am not getting my text notifications and emails,, can someone help

- - - Updated - - -

Are you able to offer any advice, I have the note 3 as well and I am not receiving my notifications

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Another problem can be if you have set in your lock screen setting to "no lock screen". Since the gear doesn't receive notification when the phone is on. If that's the case.. Set your lock screen other than no lock screen.

David Marcus

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
OMG After weeks I think I finally figured it out.

The last post was genius, notifications of text messages wouldn't work until I turned on Lock Screen. Tested with No Screen Lock = No notifications of email or texts. Turned on Screen Lock and tested again and presto = notifications.

Here's what I've done over the weeks, wife has a watch with Note3, I have a watch as well with Galaxy 4. She's on Sprint, I'm on Verizon. Her's works no issue. I factory reset my phone three times. Each time the watch would work perfectly for some period of time. In hindsight I'm guess that time was until the unlock swipe drove me crazy and I turned it off. I thought this was related to another application so I would place on the minimum number of apps I absolutely had to have and absolutely no applications that did anything with texting. No Google Voice app, no texting apps, no apps that wanted permission to read texts. Nothing that could logically interfere. Things would work then they wouldn't.

By work, I mean all messages would send to the watch for some period of time. When it stopped working I would remove the last few apps I installed. That never fixed the issue. Factory reset always did fix the issue. I've been through this three times. I even called Verizon and they said to send them the watch which was clearly nonsense.

Now I do know for a fact the phone will not send alerts to the watch if the screen is on because it assumes you don't need it to. This is stated in prior posts I am just agreeing. What I didn't know was SCREEN LOCKING is the methodology the phone uses to determine if it's "idle" or not. It appears it does not use the screen's current state of on or off like I assumed.

THE FIX: Turn on a screen lock of your preference, any screen lock. Again this is not my original thought I simply tested a prior post and agree. It worked for me. Thank you it was making me nuts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar