Cannot use Bluetooth headset with Galaxy Gear

Noyas

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

I'm having trouble using a headset with the gear. When I receive a call (answering on 4 the gear) the audio comes out on the gear and not the headset. I then use the menu on the gear and choose the headset icon but nothing happens. I still get audio thru the gear. I have to transfer the call to my note 3 and then transfer it to the headset in order to get audio. Both my gear and headset is set to phone sound on the bluetooth profile on the note 3. If I uncheck the phone audio on the gears bluetooth profile the whole device disconnect from the note 3. Anyone knows what's wrong?

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait. So you are saying that I can link my bluetooth headset to my gear and phone at the same time? I can swipe the GG to answer and talk via the bluetooth headset?? I didnt think this would be possible.

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait wait. So you are saying that I can link my bluetooth headset to my gear and phone at the same time? I can swipe the GG to answer and talk via the bluetooth headset?? I didnt think this would be possible.

You can link them both at he same time, yes. But I always answer calls on my Voyager by clicking the ear button to answer. The GG "rings" however.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I always use me gear and bluetooth stereo headphones together. You most definitely can connect them both to the phone together.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just did some further testing to help answer the questions in this thread.

My Setup:
Galaxy Note 3 running 4.3 stock (Verizon)
Galaxy Gear stock
Plantronics Voyager Pro HD (18 months old now)

In Note 3 Bluetooth settings, pair both devices. Both will show as Paired for Phone Audio, which is what you want

If my mobile rings, it rings on the phone, on my Gear and the ringing chime in the Plantronics earpiece all three at same time. I have three options available to answer:
1) Answer from phone device...duh
2) Slide to answer on the Gear, as usual.
3) Click the multi-function button on the Plantronics, call is answered by headset.

During a call, regardless of which device was currently being used to answer:
1) I can click on Speaker icon on my Note 3 and mobile speaker takes over.
2) Once on speaker phone, clicking on the Headset/Bluetooth button on the phone screen will send the call to my Plantronics headset.
3) I can click on the multi-function button on my Plantronics, and the call will transfer from either the Note 3 or the Gear to my headset.
4) When call is answered on my Gear, I can click the small little menu button (top right corner) and then click on the headset/bluetooth option and it will send the call to the Plantronics.

In short, all three devices work fine together, but once you have taken a call FROM the Gear, I see no way to send it back TO the Gear. The Plantronics profile seems to be the most flexible, but it solves my issue of needing versatility and having two bluetooth devices enabled at once.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I just did some further testing to help answer the questions in this thread.

My Setup:
Galaxy Note 3 running 4.3 stock (Verizon)
Galaxy Gear stock
Plantronics Voyager Pro HD (18 months old now)

In Note 3 Bluetooth settings, pair both devices. Both will show as Paired for Phone Audio, which is what you want

If my mobile rings, it rings on the phone, on my Gear and the ringing chime in the Plantronics earpiece all three at same time. I have three options available to answer:
1) Answer from phone device...duh
2) Slide to answer on the Gear, as usual.
3) Click the multi-function button on the Plantronics, call is answered by headset.

During a call, regardless of which device was currently being used to answer:
1) I can click on Speaker icon on my Note 3 and mobile speaker takes over.
2) Once on speaker phone, clicking on the Headset/Bluetooth button on the phone screen will send the call to my Plantronics headset.
3) I can click on the multi-function button on my Plantronics, and the call will transfer from either the Note 3 or the Gear to my headset.
4) When call is answered on my Gear, I can click the small little menu button (top right corner) and then click on the headset/bluetooth option and it will send the call to the Plantronics.

In short, all three devices work fine together, but once you have taken a call FROM the Gear, I see no way to send it back TO the Gear. The Plantronics profile seems to be the most flexible, but it solves my issue of needing versatility and having two bluetooth devices enabled at once.

Thanks for your useful post! I also use a Voyager Pro HD with my Note 3 and my Gear 2 will be here this week. I can't think of a reason I would want to transfer a call away from the Gear 2 and back to it, but have you or anyone else updated to the Gear 2 and know if everything you mentioned still works the same?

Edit: I found this YouTube video where the guy was able to transfer a call from his Gear to his phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fkHx4tB9M

After receiving the call on his watch, he transferred the call to his phone. Then when he hit the in-call Headset button on his phone it switched back to the watch. I'm not sure if this would work the same way with a headset paired, as it might transfer to the headset rather than back to the watch.

Last edited:

rlamas67

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what i'm doing wrong but i'm unable to answer calls threw my earbuds, when my Plantronics - BackBeat GO 2 are directly "connected" to my GEAR 2

Now i am able to listen the the music that i have transferred over to my GEAR 2 but i cannot listen to whoever is calling me. the voice only comes out the speaker? like the O.P

what I've been doing is going back into my S5 switch my headset from "paired" to connected" then I'm able to use my headset to make calls! but guess what? I now cant use it to listen to my music from my GEAR 2!!!!!! WTF!!!

I figured this should be seamless with no issues if i'm doing something wrong let me know, getting tiered of switching headset from S5 to GEAR 2

Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 Bluetooth Earbud Headphones Black 88600-63 - Best Buy

Natasha Kelly

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue and can't find information anywhere. I've found that if you put the music right on your phone and use "Media Controller" rather than the internal "Media Player" it'll play on your headset.