Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By karsdroid
  • 2 Post By htc evo 4g
  • 3 Post By AldousSnow
  • 1 Post By zmann
  • 1 Post By cehowardNote3
  • 2 Post By skycross
  • 4 Post By 21stNow
  • 2 Post By DAS
  • 1 Post By 67srbell
  • 5 Post By DAS
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Samsung should be ashamed

    Bought one at Best Buy last week to go along with my Note 3. Figured that I have 15 days to play with the Gear to make up my mind whether I want to keep it or not.

    Took me only one day to make my decision: this thing is a complete waste. Essentially, the Gear is a glorified bluetooth headset that can tell time, take a crappy photo and only show me incoming messages (I won't even say reply to them bc s-voice is an absolute disaster). Not only doesn't this watch add much value to using the Note 3, I honestly believe that it subtracts value because using it requires one to use an inferior screen and a much, much slower processor and overall speed than just using the Note 3.

    Samsung should be ashamed considering that this 2013 and nearly 2014. As much as I hate Apple, they would never release such a useless and expensive prototype product like this with their name on it. I assure you that when they finally release their watch (which they will as will Google), it will smoke the Gear.

    Needless to say, it is going back to Best Buy and the balance is instead going for a purchase that we all know will be impressive and satisfactory for this day in age - an Xbox One.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Yeah, Apple won't release anything that does the same as what you already own for a much more expensive price tag... Good one

    BTW, do you ever research before purchasing anything? Not trying to bash here, it's just... what you're describing is basically what every single review (and even the product feature page, come to think of it) says about the Gear. It's a glorified watch, yes. It does more than some, less than others, but still, it's an EXTENSION of your phone, not a replacement or an add-on. If it doesn't work for YOU, that's fine, but certainly it's been working for many others or the 'smart' watches would have been long gone since the Pebble.
    Thanked by:
    karsdroid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yeah, Apple won't release anything that does the same as what you already own for a much more expensive price tag... Good one

    BTW, do you ever research before purchasing anything? Not trying to bash here, it's just... what you're describing is basically what every single review (and even the product feature page, come to think of it) says about the Gear. It's a glorified watch, yes. It does more than some, less than others, but still, it's an EXTENSION of your phone, not a replacement or an add-on. If it doesn't work for YOU, that's fine, but certainly it's been working for many others or the 'smart' watches would have been long gone since the Pebble.
    Okay. Fine and understandable.

    Then in my opinion and everyone has their own, the Gear is way overpriced for what it offers.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    have found many things i like and use everyday.....

    to each his own!
    SolWgn likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    And just for the sake of peace, I wouldn't buy the Gear either :P I just don't see how it fits into my lifestyle. If it was WAY cheaper, then maybe as a gimmick, but wouldn't pay that much for something like that.

    BTW, about the X-Box One thing, how impressive and satisfactory will it be now that it's been confirmed that you'll buy a virtually useless box until you hook it up to a working Internet connection for a software update? And again, it's not just going against the X-Box, it's almost every tech company out there, rushing to get their products out of the factory that they need endless updates to do what they were supposed to do in the first place.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post
    Bought one at Best Buy last week to go along with my Note 3. Figured that I have 15 days to play with the Gear to make up my mind whether I want to keep it or not.

    Took me only one day to make my decision: this thing is a complete waste. Essentially, the Gear is a glorified bluetooth headset that can tell time, take a crappy photo and only show me incoming messages (I won't even say reply to them bc s-voice is an absolute disaster). Not only doesn't this watch add much value to using the Note 3, I honestly believe that it subtracts value because using it requires one to use an inferior screen and a much, much slower processor and overall speed than just using the Note 3.

    Samsung should be ashamed considering that this 2013 and nearly 2014. As much as I hate Apple, they would never release such a useless and expensive prototype product like this with their name on it. I assure you that when they finally release their watch (which they will as will Google), it will smoke the Gear.

    Needless to say, it is going back to Best Buy and the balance is instead going for a purchase that we all know will be impressive and satisfactory for this day in age - an Xbox One.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    This sounds like USER ERROR to me. Mine works flawlessly and im using it on an S4. I was skeptical at first and bought this as an impulse buy but found out that I was using this more than I thought i would of... This watch is comes in handy depending on the person. For example, Youre driving somewhere and you get a phone call or notification or what not. Even though its illegal, would you take out your phone to answer the call or can you just answer on your watch and while your hand is on the steering wheel converse with whoever called you? If you dont have bluetooth in your car. Another example, you're in a business meeting and youre waiting for an important call or email and youre not allowed to check your phone. Wouldnt it be just fine for you to just check your watch instead and then just excuse yourself if its really important?

    What are you comparing the camera on the GG to...a DSLR or something? come on now, its a watch. A flagship watch at that. Even though its only about a 2MP camera, the images still look pretty good when you view it on your phone or even your computer. This isnt a stand alone device, its a companion device so you have to look at it that way and at the end of the day, its just a smart watch not a full smartphone so dont think it would be necessary to have a quad core, 2.3 ghz processor or anything with high specs on a watch.

    And you or others that say that its an "overpriced watch", how does it compare to the pebble watch or the new Sony watch? Overpriced you say??... well then what do you guys think about higher end watches that the only thing they do is tell time and some with a calendar on them? Example, your rolexs', movados, etc?

    Why should Samsung be ashamed about their products? I mean we're not talking about Apple here with the recent release of the 5s and that the only difference between the 5s and 5 is that it has a faster process and a whoopty do, head over heals a fingerprint scanner?!?! Yeah, im sure when Apple or other companies release their watch, theyre gonna look at the GG and feedback from their users and improve on their product because the Samsung gear is the flagship device of its kind. But when/if the Gear 2 comes out, it will rival all the other brands and this intense competition of which brand has the better product will go on and on and on.

    Im just curious, what were you expecting to get from it when you knew that it was "watch" before you bought it?
    Thanked by:
    karsdroid and robertmarkbram like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by htc evo 4g View Post
    This sounds like USER ERROR to me. Mine works flawlessly and im using it on an S4. I was skeptical at first and bought this as an impulse buy but found out that I was using this more than I thought i would of... This watch is comes in handy depending on the person. For example, Youre driving somewhere and you get a phone call or notification or what not. Even though its illegal, would you take out your phone to answer the call or can you just answer on your watch and while your hand is on the steering wheel converse with whoever called you? If you dont have bluetooth in your car. Another example, you're in a business meeting and youre waiting for an important call or email and youre not allowed to check your phone. Wouldnt it be just fine for you to just check your watch instead and then just excuse yourself if its really important?

    What are you comparing the camera on the GG to...a DSLR or something? come on now, its a watch. A flagship watch at that. Even though its only about a 2MP camera, the images still look pretty good when you view it on your phone or even your computer. This isnt a stand alone device, its a companion device so you have to look at it that way and at the end of the day, its just a smart watch not a full smartphone so dont think it would be necessary to have a quad core, 2.3 ghz processor or anything with high specs on a watch.

    And you or others that say that its an "overpriced watch", how does it compare to the pebble watch or the new Sony watch? Overpriced you say??... well then what do you guys think about higher end watches that the only thing they do is tell time and some with a calendar on them? Example, your rolexs', movados, etc?

    Why should Samsung be ashamed about their products? I mean we're not talking about Apple here with the recent release of the 5s and that the only difference between the 5s and 5 is that it has a faster process and a whoopty do, head over heals a fingerprint scanner?!?! Yeah, im sure when Apple or other companies release their watch, theyre gonna look at the GG and feedback from their users and improve on their product because the Samsung gear is the flagship device of its kind. But when/if the Gear 2 comes out, it will rival all the other brands and this intense competition of which brand has the better product will go on and on and on.

    Im just curious, what were you expecting to get from it when you knew that it was "watch" before you bought it?
    To be able to have some practical functionality without having to be within 25 feet or so of my phone. Also, not making it water proof was stupid. I mean, it would be pretty cool to take a call while in the shower or pool. No?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Which cell phone do you use that allows you to make calls in the shower or pool? Because up until your post... I thought that was a pretty stupid thing to do.
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    I am a runner and always used my phone to track my stats.. I ran my first 5k last week with the gear and I was able to track my pace sooooo easily... I ended up running my best time. It depends on the person.

    THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
    karsdroid likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post
    Bought one at Best Buy last week to go along with my Note 3. Figured that I have 15 days to play with the Gear to make up my mind whether I want to keep it or not.

    Took me only one day to make my decision: this thing is a complete waste. Essentially, the Gear is a glorified bluetooth headset that can tell time, take a crappy photo and only show me incoming messages (I won't even say reply to them bc s-voice is an absolute disaster). Not only doesn't this watch add much value to using the Note 3, I honestly believe that it subtracts value because using it requires one to use an inferior screen and a much, much slower processor and overall speed than just using the Note 3.

    Samsung should be ashamed considering that this 2013 and nearly 2014. As much as I hate Apple, they would never release such a useless and expensive prototype product like this with their name on it. I assure you that when they finally release their watch (which they will as will Google), it will smoke the Gear.

    Needless to say, it is going back to Best Buy and the balance is instead going for a purchase that we all know will be impressive and satisfactory for this day in age - an Xbox One.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    I must be in a different world than you! Not only do I enjoy my GG, I have sold 2 for profit on Ebay..
    You are a small tiny minority.. Sorry..

    BTW, on a bike ride, Note 3 in my backpack. I got a call, I pulled over, took the call on the gear, had a 3 min conversation, hung up. I made a call, 2 min conversation, all with the Gear, and never taking out the phone from my backpack. Again, you are a very small, tiny minority..I am sure the one you took back gets snatched up very quickly. Also, I returned one myself, thought it was defective, and I later found it out the problem was USER ERROR..
    Last edited by cehowardNote3; 11-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Thanked by:
    htc evo 4g likes this.
  11. #11  
    skycross's Avatar

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    I love mine. I pull my phone out of my pocket a lot less. In a meeting I can see what is happening without alerting anyone that I am checking my phone. The clock is nice at night.. you can actually see the time. Do I take pictures? Nope.. and rarely with my phone even. Do I want to respond on my watch? Not unless they add an option of like 3-4 standard replies and even then probably not.

    I use my watch all day and I love it. To each his/her own.

    But to say Samsung should be ashamed? Wow. Your expectations may be a tad high for bleeding-edge technology.
    Feeling sorry for all those ipad/iphone users out there.
    Thanked by:
    zmann 
    karsdroid and 21stNow like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    One man's junk is another woman's treasure. The Gear has been quite useful for me, while an Xbox One would be a waste of my money as I have no interest in whatever it does.

    Another difference that we have: I'm too busy in the shower with *ahem*other things to want to answer a phone call anyway.
    SolWgn, DAS, spiraleze and 1 others like this.
  13. #13  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    975 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    I have owned my GG since October 5, and I have not looked back. I find the convenience of the device so valuable to me, and well worth the $300 I paid for it. I was in the movie theater with my son last weekend and received several emails and text messages, and not once did I have to pull out my phone and disturb the people around me with the bright display.

    I was sitting in a restaurant just this afternoon having a lunch with a colleague, and my assistant text me about an issue. Because she knows I have a GG the message was simply something she needed me to know as an FYI, but because she knew I was in a lunch meeting she knew I'd get message right away and not have to rudely pull out my phone to read it.

    I know you may think Samsung should be ashamed of the GG, but I would argue that because of Samsung's entry into the smartwatch arena, only now will such devices take on mainstream interest. Sony has a had a smartwatch for nearly two years now, and only a faithful few have ever heard of it. The Pebble also has not gained any mainstream acceptance.

    Like it or Lump it, the GG backed by the marketing and brand recognition of Samsung will cause people to have an interest that no other OEM, save Apple, could accomplish. In fact, despite the fact that smartwatches have been around for years, when I show someone my GG it's like they are seeing the technology for the first time and the non-tech enthusiast are completely blown away.

    I have yet to have anyone who was not a frequent reader of this or other tech websites, or some tech nerd, say "is that all it can do? I was hoping it would have more functionality." Most people are simply amazed at what it CAN do, and they typically say things like, "Wow! That's the watch I saw on that commercial other day. It looks really nice. That is too cool."
    21stNow and Kloge Aage like this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    I don't know, I think this watch is pretty sick. For the size of the note 3 its pretty cool to be able to glance at my watch to see what is coming in rather than pull out the phone. The WatchStyler lets you design whatever you want on the face. People on the other end can't tell the difference if I'm speaking through the watch or the phone. Everything functions well.
    If you want a longer battery life or waterproof, I'm sure this will be available in the future for more than $300. I'm pretty impressed with it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I have owned my GG since October 5, and I have not looked back. I find the convenience of the device so valuable to me, and well worth the $300 I paid for it. I was in the movie theater with my son last weekend and received several emails and text messages, and not once did I have to pull out my phone and disturb the people around me with the bright display.

    I was sitting in a restaurant just this afternoon having a lunch with a colleague, and my assistant text me about an issue. Because she knows I have a GG the message was simply something she needed me to know as an FYI, but because she knew I was in a lunch meeting she knew I'd get message right away and not have to rudely pull out my phone to read it.

    I know you may think Samsung should be ashamed of the GG, but I would argue that because of Samsung's entry into the smartwatch arena, only now will such devices take on mainstream interest. Sony has a had a smartwatch for nearly two years now, and only a faithful few have ever heard of it. The Pebble also has not gained any mainstream acceptance.

    Like it or Lump it, the GG backed by the marketing and brand recognition of Samsung will cause people to have an interest that no other OEM, save Apple, could accomplish. In fact, despite the fact that smartwatches have been around for years, when I show someone my GG it's like they are seeing the technology for the first time and the non-tech enthusiast are completely blown away.

    I have yet to have anyone who was not a frequent reader of this or other tech websites, or some tech nerd, say "is that all it can do? I was hoping it would have more functionality." Most people are simply amazed at what it CAN do, and they typically say things like, "Wow! That's the watch I saw on that commercial other day. It looks really nice. That is too cool."
    Understandable and to each his own, apparently.

    The question still remains whether or not the GG justifies its high price tag.

    I have a feeling that if it were in the $150 to $200 range, sales would be much higher.

    Furthermore, it looks like the GG2 may even been announced at CES in January.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post
    Understandable and to each his own, apparently.

    The question still remains whether or not the GG justifies its high price tag.

    I have a feeling that if it were in the $150 to $200 range, sales would be much higher.

    Furthermore, it looks like the GG2 may even been announced at CES in January.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

    Correct me if im wrong but isnt the pebble around $150 -$200 price? and what does it all do?
    GG2 already when the GG is barely a month old?? I highly doubt it sir.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by htc evo 4g View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but isnt the pebble around $150 -$200 price? and what does it all do?
    GG2 already when the GG is barely a month old?? I highly doubt it sir.

    http://m.t3.com/news/ces-2014-galaxy...-electric-cars

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Live2ride883 likes this.
  18. #18  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    975 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post

    The question still remains whether or not the GG justifies its high price tag.

    I have a feeling that if it were in the $150 to $200 range, sales would be much higher.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    I've read this argument from so many, most of course being people who have not actually purchased and used the device, that I almost get tired of responding.

    However, I believe what many people, tech reviewers and nerds alike, seem to forget is that the Pebble and Sony smartwatch have been at the $100 - $200 price range for years and yet they are not exactly flying off the shelves. In fact, these same reviewers and naysayers even claim these two offerings have more functionality than the GG. A claim I believe is bogus.

    Unlike the goal of Sony, and the manufacturers of the Pebble, Samsung never intended to build a smartwatch for the masses. They built their product for one customer and one customer only: Samsung smartphone users.

    I didn't see it clearly at first but it appears that what Samsung really wants, like it or not, is to build an ecosystem of hardware and software that is designed specifically for the Samsung customer.

    Which is why I believe they designed the Gear to work with Samsung apps and not the others. Why they push people to use their own Samsung App store even though the Play Store exist. I believe it's why Samsung Hub with Movies, Music, Books, and Games exist even though Google has the same thing. I believe it's why Samsung has its own cloud sync service despite cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive.

    While no doubt the plan is risky, I believe limiting the Gear to Samsung only products, and everything Samsung is doing right now, is part of a much bigger goal.

    Time will tell, but I think I'm right.

    That being said, when paired with a Samsung phone and using the Samsung designed apps, the Gear makes the best companion device for the Galaxy line of products. And when the purchaser of the Gear understands this reality then the $300 price tag makes sense and the value is more clearly identifiable.
    Thanked by 2:
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post
    I mean, it would be pretty cool to take a call while in the shower or pool. No?
    Um, no. Absolutely not. I do not want to be taking calls while I'm in the shower. That's a time for me to relax. Plus, it would just be ridiculous to take a call while I'm soaping up. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't quite catch that. My hand was between my legs; I was cleaning my anus."
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    New update came to the UK folks, but you can get it too if you're not British! Follow this post: Official update to Gear Nov 15th and more *notifications*! - Page 12 - xda-developers

    Many new things, makes the Gear 10 times better. This is how it should have been released!
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by 67srbell View Post
    CES 2014: Galaxy Gear 2, Steam Machine and electric cars | T3

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Xbox, what's dat?

    Seriously, on my next AFF(which will be my 3rd), I will be carrying the Gear with me. Notice in the pics how I am looking at the altimeter on my right wrist.. Picture the Gear on my left wrist, Wife calls me right as we jump. If some kind of way in the 1 minute free fall, and can fantom my had to touch the accept button, I will be able to answer the call and let my wife hear the wind at 125 mph!! Don't know if it can be done, but will try. Just like I asked the JumpMasters since I rode my sportbike to the drop zone, could I jump in my motorcycle boots, they said yes. So, I will ask them can I wear the Gear and when my wife calls, could I hit the "accept" button. It will be either a yes or no.

    Oh boy, the Gear does have it place..


    http://www.cehoward.net/o92.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o91.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o85.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o86.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o87.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o90.jpg
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    Xbox, what's dat?

    Seriously, on my next AFF(which will be my 3rd), I will be carrying the Gear with me. Notice in the pics how I am looking at the altimeter on my right wrist.. Picture the Gear on my left wrist, Wife calls me right as we jump. If some kind of way in the 1 minute free fall, and can fantom my had to touch the accept button, I will be able to answer the call and let my wife hear the wind at 125 mph!! Don't know if it can be done, but will try. Just like I asked the JumpMasters since I rode my sportbike to the drop zone, could I jump in my motorcycle boots, they said yes. So, I will ask them can I wear the Gear and when my wife calls, could I hit the "accept" button. It will be either a yes or no.

    Oh boy, the Gear does have it place..


    http://www.cehoward.net/o92.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o91.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o85.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o86.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o87.jpg

    http://www.cehoward.net/o90.jpg
    Nice pics, I have this insane fear of heights since I fell from the smokestacks of the USS Saratoga CV-60. Luckily my safety harness kept me from falling 100+ feet to the flight deck.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Found one for 198 here
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear 2
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I am a runner and always used my phone to track my stats.. I ran my first 5k last week with the gear and I was able to track my pace sooooo easily... I ended up running my best time. It depends on the person.

    THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    Congrats, I doubt the Note 3 was in your pocket. ;-) (joke alert)
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Samsung should be ashamed

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Nice pics, I have this insane fear of heights since I fell from the smokestacks of the USS Saratoga CV-60. Luckily my safety harness kept me from falling 100+ feet to the flight deck.
    Now, I would be scared on those smokestacks..

    So far, the Gear is still kicking and liking it a lot.. IMO, the Gear goes to about 100 on the Cool Meter, the OP has no idea of COOL!!

Similar Threads

  1. Can deleted photos be recovered WITHOUT having had an SD card?
    By Violet James in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 04:20 AM
  2. Android 4.3 on samsung galaxy s4 issues _IMP_
    By Mhmd Harfouche in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
  3. What a waste of monet this turned out to be
    By bill2reg in forum ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 01:29 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  5. How do I get rid of Samsung Music?
    By rustydomino in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions