Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default firmware update

Still have not gotten either the gear manager update or firmware update here in Delaware. Anyone on the east coast get it yet?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Default Re: firmware update

Quote Originally Posted by specops2k3 View Post
    Still have not gotten either the gear manager update or firmware update here in Delaware. Anyone on the east coast get it yet?

As far as I can tell nobody in the US has actually received the update. Samsung isn't serving to out yet, despite the announcement. WHen I talked to two Samsung reps who worked at Best Buy this weekend the one who owned a Gear hadn't received the update yet, either.

I was expecting it this weekend too, wonder why Rogers and Bell got it in Canada well before the states... Staged rollout to prevent server issues?

Time to just flash the UK version and move on. On a side note, I know I am missing something but where the heck is the Samsung App's "App" on the Verizon Galaxy Note 3? Its not there and I have checked the device, short of hard reset why isn't it there?
    mrwallyy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Time to just flash the UK version and move on. On a side note, I know I am missing something but where the heck is the Samsung App's "App" on the Verizon Galaxy Note 3? Its not there and I have checked the device, short of hard reset why isn't it there?
    I'll need to find the step by step, is that something that is relatively easy to do?

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Samsung should really be more concerned about the US owners of this device.

All 7 of us.

ki11ak3nn and 67srbell like this.

Does anyone have a link to the step by step how to load the UK version on the current Galaxy Gear for updated firmware?

Go to xda developers-everything is there

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    Samsung should really be more concerned about the US owners of this device.

All 7 of us.

6. I returned mine on Saturday.
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shanezam203 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the step by step how to load the UK version on the current Galaxy Gear for updated firmware?
    I used this to update mine: Official update to Gear Nov 15th and more *notifications*! - Page 12 - xda-developers

EDIT: This post has links to the files that will download faster Official update to Gear Nov 15th and more *notifications*! - Page 16 - xda-developers

Let me know if you have any questions!

Quote Originally Posted by mrwallyy View Post
    I used this to update mine: Official update to Gear Nov 15th and more *notifications*! - Page 12 - xda-developers

EDIT: This post has links to the files that will download faster Official update to Gear Nov 15th and more *notifications*! - Page 16 - xda-developers

Let me know if you have any questions!
    That did it, and it was Easy Thank you guys.

The U.S is now two updates behind. Just download MK7 from Samsung-Updates or the firmware list on the front page. It's a 280MB files so it only takes 20 minutes to download. Use any version of Odin to install it. Put the Gear in download mode by long pressing the power button until it says "rebooting" and then press it again a couple of times until the download menu comes up. Select "download mode" by pressing the button to highlight it. Long press the button to select it. With the Gear in download mode, connect it to your PC and open Odin. Take the .MD5 file you extracted from the downloaded MK7 .zip and put it in "PDA" in Odin and then click start. You should be done in about 5 minutes and your Gear will restart. When it does, unplug it from the USB cable. There's no downside to using another region's f/w on your Gear and the update process doesn't wipe your Gear's data or settings. I don't think Gear's are different h/w wise regionally so you can repeat the above process when an update gets pushed, even if it's for another region, to always keep your Gear on the latest f/w.

In addition to the notification stuff, Samsung's added the ability to "go to the last page" under "Motion" so when you bring your wrist up it returns to what you're doing rather than defaulting to the home page (clock). You can also customize the S Reply messages you can send when you're on a call or responding to a text.

The Gear feels snappier after the update.
    mrwallyy likes this.

I will be doing mine tonight, I gave Samsung a bit of time to get their act together no more.

Same here, I was able to load it quickly, didn't take long at all. PM me if you have any questions.
    karycam likes this.

Updated mine this morning. Was quick and easy and well worth it!

Charles

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

If Samsung gave a ****, they should be embarrassed. We know that's not going to happen though.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Couldn't wait anymore and followed the instructions from the XDA forum. Worked great, thanks people.

Quote Originally Posted by shanezam203 View Post
    That did it, and it was Easy Thank you guys.

The U.S is now two updates behind. Just download MK7 from Samsung-Updates or the firmware list on the front page. It's a 280MB files so it only takes 20 minutes to download. Use any version of Odin to install it. Put the Gear in download mode by long pressing the power button until it says "rebooting" and then press it again a couple of times until the download menu comes up. Select "download mode" by pressing the button to highlight it. Long press the button to select it. With the Gear in download mode, connect it to your PC and open Odin. Take the .MD5 file you extracted from the downloaded MK7 .zip and put it in "PDA" in Odin and then click start. You should be done in about 5 minutes and your Gear will restart. When it does, unplug it from the USB cable. There's no downside to using another region's f/w on your Gear and the update process doesn't wipe your Gear's data or settings. I don't think Gear's are different h/w wise regionally so you can repeat the above process when an update gets pushed, even if it's for another region, to always keep your Gear on the latest f/w.

In addition to the notification stuff, Samsung's added the ability to "go to the last page" under "Motion" so when you bring your wrist up it returns to what you're doing rather than defaulting to the home page (clock). You can also customize the S Reply messages you can send when you're on a call or responding to a text.

The Gear feels snappier after the update.
    Great info and I appreciate it.

However, two major questions remain....

1) Does the most current (UK) firmware restore the now-removed Exchange email content on the Gear (we now just get "Read on Device")
    2) If it doesn't restore it, but it enhances notifications in general, any chance to get Exchange content via a 3rd party app like Touchdown?

Without this, the Gear is literally worthless to me. I've quit using it altogether until I can figure out a way to roll back to the initial firmware that still gave me Exchange functionality.

The way I see it is let them release update out of country first. Suppose they released an update that messed up everything. Let someone else be the ginny pigs. Just think,, when it's released here any day now atleast we know there are no issues with it.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    The way I see it is let them release update out of country first. Suppose they released an update that messed up everything. Let someone else be the ginny pigs. Just think,, when it's released here any day now atleast we know there are no issues with it.

You must be new to Samsung. Welcome!

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I guess maybe they're working on a fix for Exchange email idk. I did the manual update and it works great.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    You must be new to Samsung. Welcome!

AHH, NO,, seasoned vet here thanks ,, I'm a cup is half filled kind of guy.

jschu22 likes this.

AHH, NO,, seasoned vet here thanks ,, I'm a cup is half filled kind of guy.

Engineer here... it is what it is. If it's only half full then the glass is twice the volume it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by snc0921 View Post
    Engineer here... it is what it is. If it's only half full then the glass is twice the volume it needs to be.
    Unless filling the glass is a process and it just takes time and patience.

According to xda forums, the gear manager update is what broke the exchange email for USA users only. Check out the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528509

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Chasfenner View Post
    According to xda forums, the gear manager update is what broke the exchange email for USA users only. Check out the link

New Gear Update Breaks Exchange Email - xda-developers

Charles

And by "broke it for USA users" you mean "intentionally turned off Exchange content on the Gear for ONLY USA users."

The code shows they did this intentionally. Took away stock functionality that shipped with the watch. *&^%ers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast