Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch - Skins and Wraps for the device

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that on Ebay people are selling wraps and skins for the device. Has anyone tried a wrap or skin? How did it come out? This particular vendor had carbon fiber, wood and other designs. Looked quite impressive.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. How does the skin look? Was it difficult to put on? Was it one piece or multiple pieces?The last time I put a skin on a device was when I had a Kindle about 3 years ago. I assume a lot has changed since then.

I have this one:
Skinomi? TechSkin - Samsung Galaxy Gear Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Brushed Steel Full Body Protective Skin + Lifetime Warranty: Watches: Amazon.com

Some people complain the watch can't charge in the holder due to it being to tight to close. While I agree it is tighter, I have had no issues with closing it up and charging it.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It's multiple pieces. Two front pieces, a back piece, two side pieces and a clasp piece. Oh duh, and the screen protector. I usually suck at putting on these kind of things and always have my wife do it. This time I did it myself and really didn't have any issues. It took a few times to get some of the pieces just right but still was able to get it all done in about 10 minutes.

I posted pictures here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...l-cosmetic-damages-anyone-noticed-theirs.html

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I order that same one and wasn't happy with it. The holes or cutouts for the charging and home button wasn't precise and like someone mentioned the charging cradle didn't fit with it on..... I ditched it. I'll just wait until my Gear gets all scratched up then i'll cover it up with a skin.LOL..hahah:p

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the liquid screen protectors like Liquid Glass and Dynaflo Liquid Armour? With these, you apply them using a wet wipe and then reapply every 3-6 months.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I did the Skinomi kit on my GG, I opted for the Clear one though. I can say after I put the full kit on which includes an coverage for the bottom of the GG it didn't fit into the charging cradle. I had to remove the bottom portion to get it to fit in and close the the charger. Annoying but I wasn't going to break the charger since they were not available at the time.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have this one:
Skinomi? TechSkin - Samsung Galaxy Gear Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Brushed Steel Full Body Protective Skin + Lifetime Warranty: Watches: Amazon.com

Some people complain the watch can't charge in the holder due to it being to tight to close. While I agree it is tighter, I have had no issues with closing it up and charging it.

the manual of the skinomi says that you have to wait 12-24 hours after application before you turn the device on. Did you wait the suggested time or just turn it on?

Thanks

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I finally received my carbon fiber skin from Skinomi today and put it on. While it does make the watch tighter in the charger, and on my wrist it does charge. Now I just have to decide if I am gonna keep it on, in some ways it seems to take away from the Gears appearance, but maybe I just need to get used to it.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought the skinomi clear version. It's OK. It went on well. I did try crystalusion off of Amazon to go on my note 8. I was so impressed with that liquid screen protector that I think I'll get one for this watch. It seems to be very resistant to fingerprints

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I was just about ready to do that with my skinomi. When I looked at it in a certain angle is didn't look right. I think I'll try the liquid screen protector

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Let us know how it works..

I applied the Crystalusion liquid screen protector to my watch today. Went on well. I peeled the Skinomi off of my watch and noticed a definite difference right away. You are supposed to reapply the screen protector yearly so, we will see how it holds up over time. I think that the watch band will give me more problems than the screen protector because I have the lighter color band. But, overall I am very pleased with the liquid screen protectors. If I had not ordered the glass screen protector, I probably would have used it on my phone as well.

evilgenyus

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to try the skinomi skin because thru the end of today you can get 60% off so it's only 7.98 w/ this (60% off with coupon code: endofthe2013)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about a protector/skin, but then I realized: I also own a vastly more expensive dress watch (an Omega Constellation). I never thought of protecting it. It has a few signs of wear -- some of which can get polished out when I bring it in for servicing every few years -- but none of them bother me. Why would I let a scratch or something similar bother me on the Gear?

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought some cheap screen protectors for my gear. After putting one on yesterday, I realized that the top and bottom edges don't suck because the glass is curved. This is causing the protector to peel off and also collect dirt right away. Had anyone had better success with a certain product over others?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the liquid screen protector that I bought from amazon.com. It's called crystalusion. Seems to work well.