Galaxy Gear Watch Band Pin Broke

cMoneyBitz

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I finally was able to pick up my Galaxy Gear from Best Buy today, after charging it, I wore it for maybe 4 hours before feeling the watch slipping on my wrist. I looked down and noticed the pin broke off, it looks like the weld holding it on was pretty poor. I didn't know if anyone knew of this happening to anyone else or if this is a super rare thing and this one just slipped through quality control. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I meant but i'm definitely going back to Best Buy in the morning but I felt after looking and not seeing anyone else who had this problem I should post here and ask.

Attachments

• gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 56
  • gear2.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 57

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Quick question...How tightly were you wearing your watch? I have mine one hole looser than the one that's snug to my wrist so as not to add too much stress to the band when I flex my wrist.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Quick question...How tightly were you wearing your watch? I have mine one hole looser than the one that's snug to my wrist so as not to add too much stress to the band when I flex my wrist.

While that's definitely a logical question, I don't believe the watch band on $300US piece should fail because of how tightly worn.

CM on OgPro

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
While that's definitely a logical question, I don't believe the watch band on $300US piece should fail because of how tightly worn.

CM on OgPro

Agreed.

The reason I ask is if this is not a one - off and indeed a design issue, it might prompt me and other Gear owners reassess how we are wearing our watches to prevent this from happening to ours.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had 2 GGs and though I wore them loosely I would expect the band on them to be just as durable as on a $20 Timex which means VERY durable.

CM on OgPro

cMoneyBitz

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I had it in the middle hole and it did allow for movement back and forth on my wrist, when I tried the black one they had in stock in the store a couple weeks ago, the 1 tighter hole did fit but it was tight so I did go with a hole that was not super tight on me, I assume the watch bands are all the same size, I do have pretty small wrists for a guy so that's why it was in a tighter hole than most people (i'm between a small and medium glove size even) but i'm actually going to head out to best buy in the next half hour or so-the only issue is according to the store pickup, there are no orange in stock...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had it in the middle hole and it did allow for movement back and forth on my wrist, when I tried the black one they had in stock in the store a couple weeks ago, the 1 tighter hole did fit but it was tight so I did go with a hole that was not super tight on me, I assume the watch bands are all the same size, I do have pretty small wrists for a guy so that's why it was in a tighter hole than most people (i'm between a small and medium glove size even) but i'm actually going to head out to best buy in the next half hour or so-the only issue is according to the store pickup, there are no orange in stock...

Get black. No really. Just get black. The world will be a happier place if you leave the orange in the store. :)

CM on OgPro

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I find that the watch is almost too tight on one hole, but too loose on the next size bigger. Any thoughts on if/how I can punch a new hole to get a half size larger?

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I find that the watch is almost too tight on one hole, but too loose on the next size bigger. Any thoughts on if/how I can punch a new hole to get a half size larger?

I'm in the same boat. I'm halfway between sizes. Too snug on one hole and I can almost fit my pinky through on the other. I opted for the looser setting. So long as it doesn't spin on my wrist, I'm good.

Since its your watch, do what you will, but keep in mind that punching another hole in the band is certain to damage resale value.

cMoneyBitz

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My phone case is orange too, Best Buy said they should have my new one on Friday, the Samsung rep in the store was even baffeled and took a couple pictures to send to his boss-I just happened to get that one in a thousand with a factory defect it seems

lionman32

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Gear Watch pin broke also, same as yours, poor weld. I ordered my from Samsung. I called and they said it was physical damage and not under warranty. They didn't want to do anything about it. I raised you know what and they suggested I take it to the nearest best buy. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Jarheadfor5

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Verizon referred me to Samsung as they claim to handle the warranty issues and Samsung says its physical damage and wants $74 and change to repair it. I simply told them that if they try to charge me I will have them send it back and re weld it my self. I'm thinking a little jb - weld should do the trick. Still bs though. I'm wondering if its just the orange ones as mine is orange as the one pictured above.

Barry Davie

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Mine just did the same thing (black band). Definitely a rubbish weld/design flaw. If Samsung UK are as unhelpful as Samsung US seem to be, I'm thinking I'll drill a hole where the pin was welded on and put a wee bolt through to reattach the clasp to the band.

mosimann

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with mine on the first time I used it. Went to a VZW store and got a new watch.

Love the watch but very poor quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty