Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ansextra
  • 1 Post By kj11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Gear: Worth it?

Hey, I'm really interested in buying a Galaxy Gear as my next purchase the only thing that is stopping me is the price tag. Is it really worth the higher price compared to other smart watch alternatives? I just think it would be a great companion with my Note 3.

Thanks for your help guys.

Default Re: Worth it?

Not sure how low you would like the price to go but Amazon now has the Gear for $239.99.
    Thanked by:
    Sean Armstrong and Ni Hammad like this.

Global Posts
    758 Global Posts

I like it quite a bit, I'd say it's definitely worth it

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Sean Armstrong likes this.

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

If you have the money to spare, it's worth it to Note 2/3 and S3/4 owners. If you don't, it's not worth it. It's not a necessity by any means. It's just a neat thing to have.
    Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910A stock 4.4.4
    Nexus 10 stock 5.0.1
    Galaxy Gear NF1
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Espolón Reposado ROM)

Mine was a gift, I probably wouldn't have bought it for more than $200, even though I wanted it. Also it kind of ties you to a narrow choice of phones. That said I'm happy to have it.

Posted via Android Central App
    DAS

Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Templeton1 View Post
    Also it kind of ties you to a narrow choice of phones. Posted via Android Central App
    This is the key statement! I think if people step back, remove the hate of some and the blind loyalty of others, and really look at what Samsung is attempting to do they would better understand their overall product and marketing strategy. Don't be fooled. Samsung is NOT just throwing out products to see if something sticks.

Samsung seems to desire to build the Galaxy Line of products and services into its own ecosystem. Why else would they create:

Samsung Hub - Their own movie, music, game portal
    Samsung Apps - Their own app store
    S-Health - Their own version of a fitness tracker for food and calorie burning
    S-Voice - Their own version of voice commands
    S-Translate - Their own version of speech translation
    Scrapbook - Their own version of Pocket
    Story Album - Their own version of a hardcopy picture book
    S-Educate - Their own version of online math, science, economics and finance courses
    WatchOn- Their own version of an IR Blaster to control your tv and home theater
    Messaging- Their own SMS & MMS client
    Email - Their own email client
    Group Play - Their own cross device method for sharing documents, pictures, videos and listening to music
    S-Cloud - Their own data and storage solution
    ChatOn- Their own social networking app

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of, but the Gear is just another product in what is likely a long line of products and services to keep customers engulfed in the Samsung ecosystem.

So to the question. Is it worth $300. Absolutely, if you are willing to stay within the Samsung ecosystem for any period of time. Samsung has no desire to make the Gear applicable across other OEM's. It does not appear to fit into their long term strategy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but before you shell out $300 for this smartwatch, I think you have to ask yourself are you willing to stick with Samsung products for phones and tablets? If the answer is yes, the decision is easy. If the answer is no, then I would buy something a bit more universal.

Personally, I have owned a Samsung product since the original Galaxy Note. Since that phone came out in 2011 I have owned every version since (I now own the GN3). For what I do for a living, no other phone offers the functionality of the s-pen, and it's become a part of the world I live in. I also owned each version of the Note tablet, and now have the 2014 edition. So for me, the Gear was a natural extension. But for others I can understand the hesitancy.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Lets do a quick comparative analysis: Look at a Sieko, Citizen, Movado, Tag Heur and yes, even a Rolex. Write down what they do. Now after your long list of one function (the telling of time), write down everything that the Gear can do. While you're at it, write down some of the functionality of what your Samsung Note can do (since the watch is an extension of the phone and it's functionality). Now, ask your self which devices are overpriced? Which devices are limited in functionality? Which device will have the same functionality 3, 5 or 7 years from now? Run, don't stop, go and buy a Gear!

Mine was a gift as well and I wouldn't have pay no more then $200. The price tag on this watch for not being "water proof" and not working with other phones doesn't make this watch worth $300. If Apple made this watch and had the same handicap as this watch you wouldn't hear any complaints from the iFans so I'm keeping it real.

True worth in my book is $200. In my view you will start to see prices starting to drop dramatically (Bestbuy and Amazon have recently dropped from $300 to $239 or so). All of this is in anticipation of the new release of Gear which should be Jan/Feb timeframe.

I'm waiting for the new release to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstrader View Post
    True worth in my book is $200. In my view you will start to see prices starting to drop dramatically (Bestbuy and Amazon have recently dropped from $300 to $239 or so). All of this is in anticipation of the new release of Gear which should be Jan/Feb timeframe.

I'm waiting for the new release to buy.
    The price is already back up to $299 so not sure why you are certain the price was dropped in anticipation of a new release?

I agree with the above, I think $199 is a fair price. It's a toy, it's bulky, limited but I'm happy to have it - at the moment. The novelty of it may wear off. I do think the future versions will be slimmer, more user friendlier and build in new ideas. At present the apps are very limited but I think this will rapidly change. It's a good concept, just needs to be refined. If you have the money then go for it I say.

Nope. Not worth it's price. Sweet spot for smartwatches would be ~$150.

I agree with others and I kind of regret paying $300 for the gear after having it now for a couple months or so.
    I love the gear but I honestly feel $300 was just too much, at the same time I would probably still buy it again at that price anyways because I like it that much.
    It should be $150 - $200 in my opinion.
    A family member of mine was lucky enough to get the Gear free when she purchased the Note 3.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy Gear: Worth it?

Personally I think so but you'd be an ***** to buy the current GG. Hold off until April when the new one is released with the S5.

Posted via Android Central App