Wait for Gear 2??

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just bought a Note 3 and love it, so of course next logical step is the watch. Now I'm hearing about a new release to happen in the next month or two so considering waiting.

Any thoughts on wait or buy now??

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think a new watch is going to come out that quickly. The last one was just released a few months ago. That would be the equivalent of releasing say for example the S3 June, and then the S4 in December. No time for sales really on the S3.

I do think the next watch will have significant improvements, but who knows when it will actually be released.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ludicrous. It's only been three months. And Note 2, S3, and S4 owners have only been able to use it within the past month or so. That's a lot of people.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Ludicrous. It's only been three months. And Note 2, S3, and S4 owners have only been able to use it within the past month or so. That's a lot of people.

Yes, but the Gear has been a bit of a cluster based on reviews and Samsung is all about saving face. New releases to fix bugs or improve performance have been nice, but not enough to quell bad reviews. Gear 2, assuming it's much improved, would shut the critics up, so I could see one coming out sooner rather than later.

I also follow big box store pricing patterns and without exception, when the big retailers start to drop prices dramatically, this means they need to quickly dump inventory based on new product coming to market. Might not be a month or two, but my guess is soon.

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope it's not for a while. My wife would kill me if I bought it that soon, and when it comes to new tech, I have zero patience.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but the Gear has been a bit of a cluster based on reviews and Samsung is all about saving face. New releases to fix bugs or improve performance have been nice, but not enough to quell bad reviews. Gear 2, assuming it's much improved, would shut the critics up, so I could see one coming out sooner rather than later.

I also follow big box store pricing patterns and without exception, when the big retailers start to drop prices dramatically, this means they need to quickly dump inventory based on new product coming to market. Might not be a month or two, but my guess is soon.

Yes, but why would they drop the price for just a single day -- on a Thursday and the day after New Year's Day to boot -- and not even promote it? Sounds awfully odd.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually just recently returned my gear to best buy taking advantage of the extended holiday return period and got my money back. I couldn't justify keeping a $300 piece of tech that is going to be outdated to it's hopefully much improved successor in the next few months. As much as I like the gear this just made the most sense to me.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but why would they drop the price for just a single day -- on a Thursday and the day after New Year's Day to boot -- and not even promote it? Sounds awfully odd.
Retailers don't want to be stuck with huge inventory that will sit on shelves forever and the minute an announcement is made, the price will drop dramatically.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I would buy now. You cannot always wait until the next thing comes out or you will constantly be running in circles. The price of the GG has come down after Christmas. Amazon has it for 219. I heard the same thing about the new GG but I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. I also heard that Pebble is going to be making a big announcement at CES this week so, I wonder what they are going to announce.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Retailers don't want to be stuck with huge inventory that will sit on shelves forever and the minute an announcement is made, the price will drop dramatically.
So this one day sale dropped their inventory that dramatically? I find that hard to believe considering it was hardly advertised.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

That being so, then why only one day? Why not drop the price for a longer period, and promote the price drop?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

anon(5397195)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am on the fence too. I can't decide what I want to do. I have been looking and it's possible they might release the gear 2 at the CES in a few days in Las Vegas or possibly at MWC. I would hate to buy the watch and find out a new version is coming out in a month for a comparable price. I can probably get one for close to $240 but I don't know if I should just wait a couple days and see what comes out. If I knew a new one was coming out for sale in 2 months I would wait for sure but if it isn't for half a year I would not want to wait. Oh conundrums, what to do.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a Note 3 and love it, so of course next logical step is the watch. Now I'm hearing about a new release to happen in the next month or two so considering waiting.

Any thoughts on wait or buy now??

Question: did you join AC this month just to create disinterest in the Gear based upon the propagation of completely unfounded rumors and rank speculation about a "Gear 2"?

Where, precisely, did you "hear[ ] about a new release to happen in the next month or two"?

I call complete and total BS.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Question: did you join AC this month just to create disinterest in the Gear based upon the propagation of completely unfounded rumors and rank speculation about a "Gear 2"?

Where, precisely, did you "hear[ ] about a new release to happen in the next month or two"?

I call complete and total BS.

You can call BS but you may want to direct your attention to Samsung's own Twitter page that they put up on Sat that includes the following:

Samsung teases Galaxy Gear 2 release in 2014 - Sci/Tech - DNA

One quote from that article: "Seeing the trend that Samsung follows, Galaxy Gear 2 is not expected to be unveiled until MWC 2014 in February alongside the eagerly awaited Samsung Galaxy S5."

Or maybe you prefer this one with quotes from the Korean Herald:

"A new report from The Korean Herald seems to be confirming our assumptions. A source for the outlet is saying that Samsung is preparing the Galaxy Gear 2 and "it's a high possibility" that the device will be unveiled at MWC in February. There isn't a lot of information to be had about the Gear 2, but it is expected to feature a flexible display. The source is also saying that Samsung is getting ready to announce the Galaxy Band, which will be a health and fitness tracker in the vein of FitBit or Nike FuelBand."

Samsung set to announce Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Band at MWC

Or if you prefer this from Droidlife:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/28/samsung-may-unveil-galaxy-gear-2-and-galaxy-band-at-mwc/

Basically it's now all over the Internet...you can believe it or not, but I think there are some of us out there who are trying to make a buying decision based on a certain set of facts. At this stage, still rumor, but rumor based on a set of facts...you can always form your own opinions, but I will wait for news coming out of Barcelona in Feb to decide.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Please. There are no facts. Just that cryptic Twitter pic from Samsung, which could mean anything. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia