Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wait for Gear 2??

Just bought a Note 3 and love it, so of course next logical step is the watch. Now I'm hearing about a new release to happen in the next month or two so considering waiting.

Any thoughts on wait or buy now??

Global Posts
    17,450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Wait for Gear 2??

I really don't think a new watch is going to come out that quickly. The last one was just released a few months ago. That would be the equivalent of releasing say for example the S3 June, and then the S4 in December. No time for sales really on the S3.

I do think the next watch will have significant improvements, but who knows when it will actually be released.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Ludicrous. It's only been three months. And Note 2, S3, and S4 owners have only been able to use it within the past month or so. That's a lot of people.
    Galaxy Note II SGH-i317 stock 4.3
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7
    Oster 4093 blender (rooted, Cuervo Gold ROM)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Ludicrous. It's only been three months. And Note 2, S3, and S4 owners have only been able to use it within the past month or so. That's a lot of people.
    Yes, but the Gear has been a bit of a cluster based on reviews and Samsung is all about saving face. New releases to fix bugs or improve performance have been nice, but not enough to quell bad reviews. Gear 2, assuming it's much improved, would shut the critics up, so I could see one coming out sooner rather than later.

I also follow big box store pricing patterns and without exception, when the big retailers start to drop prices dramatically, this means they need to quickly dump inventory based on new product coming to market. Might not be a month or two, but my guess is soon.

I hope it's not for a while. My wife would kill me if I bought it that soon, and when it comes to new tech, I have zero patience.

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swisstrader View Post
    Yes, but the Gear has been a bit of a cluster based on reviews and Samsung is all about saving face. New releases to fix bugs or improve performance have been nice, but not enough to quell bad reviews. Gear 2, assuming it's much improved, would shut the critics up, so I could see one coming out sooner rather than later.

I also follow big box store pricing patterns and without exception, when the big retailers start to drop prices dramatically, this means they need to quickly dump inventory based on new product coming to market. Might not be a month or two, but my guess is soon.
    Yes, but why would they drop the price for just a single day -- on a Thursday and the day after New Year's Day to boot -- and not even promote it? Sounds awfully odd.
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7

I actually just recently returned my gear to best buy taking advantage of the extended holiday return period and got my money back. I couldn't justify keeping a $300 piece of tech that is going to be outdated to it's hopefully much improved successor in the next few months. As much as I like the gear this just made the most sense to me.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes, but why would they drop the price for just a single day -- on a Thursday and the day after New Year's Day to boot -- and not even promote it? Sounds awfully odd.
    Retailers don't want to be stuck with huge inventory that will sit on shelves forever and the minute an announcement is made, the price will drop dramatically.

Wait for Gear 2??-image.jpg

I would buy now. You cannot always wait until the next thing comes out or you will constantly be running in circles. The price of the GG has come down after Christmas. Amazon has it for 219. I heard the same thing about the new GG but I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. I also heard that Pebble is going to be making a big announcement at CES this week so, I wonder what they are going to announce.
    kj11 likes this.

Retailers don't want to be stuck with huge inventory that will sit on shelves forever and the minute an announcement is made, the price will drop dramatically.
    So this one day sale dropped their inventory that dramatically? I find that hard to believe considering it was hardly advertised.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

A few just sold brand new on eBay for $200. Prices coming down for sure

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

That being so, then why only one day? Why not drop the price for a longer period, and promote the price drop?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7

A few just sold brand new on eBay for $200. Prices coming down for sure
    Recently? I purchased mine on ebay on 12-24 for $199.95 but it was a refurb.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    Recently? I purchased mine on ebay on 12-24 for $199.95 but it was a refurb.
    Yup. 2 sold yesterday for $200 new and in box

Yup. 2 sold yesterday for $200 new and in box
    Cool as long as they are reputable sellers... I haven't had any issues with my refurb so I'm happy.

Posted via Android Central App

I am on the fence too. I can't decide what I want to do. I have been looking and it's possible they might release the gear 2 at the CES in a few days in Las Vegas or possibly at MWC. I would hate to buy the watch and find out a new version is coming out in a month for a comparable price. I can probably get one for close to $240 but I don't know if I should just wait a couple days and see what comes out. If I knew a new one was coming out for sale in 2 months I would wait for sure but if it isn't for half a year I would not want to wait. Oh conundrums, what to do.

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Just bought a Note 3 and love it, so of course next logical step is the watch. Now I'm hearing about a new release to happen in the next month or two so considering waiting.

Any thoughts on wait or buy now??
    Question: did you join AC this month just to create disinterest in the Gear based upon the propagation of completely unfounded rumors and rank speculation about a "Gear 2"?

Where, precisely, did you "hear[ ] about a new release to happen in the next month or two"?

I call complete and total BS.
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Question: did you join AC this month just to create disinterest in the Gear based upon the propagation of completely unfounded rumors and rank speculation about a "Gear 2"?

Where, precisely, did you "hear[ ] about a new release to happen in the next month or two"?

I call complete and total BS.
    You can call BS but you may want to direct your attention to Samsung's own Twitter page that they put up on Sat that includes the following:

Samsung teases Galaxy Gear 2 release in 2014 - Sci/Tech - DNA

One quote from that article: "Seeing the trend that Samsung follows, Galaxy Gear 2 is not expected to be unveiled until MWC 2014 in February alongside the eagerly awaited Samsung Galaxy S5."

Or maybe you prefer this one with quotes from the Korean Herald:

"A new report from The Korean Herald seems to be confirming our assumptions. A source for the outlet is saying that Samsung is preparing the Galaxy Gear 2 and "it's a high possibility" that the device will be unveiled at MWC in February. There isn't a lot of information to be had about the Gear 2, but it is expected to feature a flexible display. The source is also saying that Samsung is getting ready to announce the Galaxy Band, which will be a health and fitness tracker in the vein of FitBit or Nike FuelBand."

Samsung set to announce Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Band at MWC

Or if you prefer this from Droidlife:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/28...y-band-at-mwc/

Basically it's now all over the Internet...you can believe it or not, but I think there are some of us out there who are trying to make a buying decision based on a certain set of facts. At this stage, still rumor, but rumor based on a set of facts...you can always form your own opinions, but I will wait for news coming out of Barcelona in Feb to decide.
    Harlemknight likes this.

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Please. There are no facts. Just that cryptic Twitter pic from Samsung, which could mean anything. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.
    Nexus 10 stock 4.4.3
    Galaxy Gear MK7

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

If you can get it for cheap, grab it. Its not worth the launch price though.

In Canada, you can purchased it on kijiji (local ebay affliliate) for around $180-250 Brand New in Box, thanks to a $50 (with Note 3) holiday promotion from Rogers.

I didn't hesitate to grab it via that Rogers promotion on boxing day (Dec 26) and am very happy with the GG, through I am getting tired of seeing the temperature stay below -30c for the past couple weeks
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Please. There are no facts. Just that cryptic Twitter pic from Samsung, which could mean anything. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.
    Uhm, does it count that there's now confirmation from Mr. Dong-hoon Chang himself, executive Vice President and design head at Samsung’s IT & Mobile Communications Division, that second gen Gear and S5 (although they may have a different name for S5) will be launched at Barcelona?

Let's face it, ALL potential new releases are just rumor and hearsay until they actually happen, but I am just offering up my viewpoint that Gear 2 will happen end of feb.

I pulled the trigger and got one from ebay NIB for $245. I decided I didn't want to wait and honestly I make enough money to not care if a better one comes out because I can afford to buy it in 6 months if its that much better. I am exited for it but have to wait a week to get it. It will definitely make my life easier since I have two galaxy phones and I can pair it up to which ever one I bring with me at the time. I mean I understand all the bad hype about the product but in reality it looks like they have already fixed all the things i care about and bought it for. As long as it sends meeting requests, notifications, has a working camera and tells me the time ill be happy.
    ansextra likes this.

I bought mine knowing that it's only good with a Samsung device. My phone contract comes up in July. At this point I don't know what I'll be replacing my S3 with. I didn't mind spending the $200 (ebay refurb) for a toy for 7 months knowing it may be useless after that.

Quote Originally Posted by weetigo View Post
    If you can get it for cheap, grab it. Its not worth the launch price though.

In Canada, you can purchased it on kijiji (local ebay affliliate) for around $180-250 Brand New in Box, thanks to a $50 (with Note 3) holiday promotion from Rogers.

I didn't hesitate to grab it via that Rogers promotion on boxing day (Dec 26) and am very happy with the GG, through I am getting tired of seeing the temperature stay below -30c for the past couple weeks
    I paid $300 and not one bit of remorse. Just enjoying my gear everytime I put it on. That would be every day. What's that worth?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    cehowardNote3 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast