Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SalixIncendium
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Give me reasons not to return my Gear...

Okay...one week left on my return window, and with each passing day and with each retailer I talk to, I'm more tempted to return it.

I've learned more about the Pebble, and while it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles the Gear has, it's half the price and does most of what I've come to want a smartwatch to do. Do I really need a 1.9MP camera on a watch when my 13MP camera is a few feet away? Do I really need to be able to answer calls and struggle to hear the caller?

I've also heard more than one story about clasp issues. Unlike with the Pebble, the clasp breaking on the Gear is pretty much terminal due to its non-replaceable band.

Don't get me wrong. I do like my Gear. But do I $300 like it? I'm not so sure.

Somebody...anybody...everybody...give me some reasons not to return it.

Default Re: Give me reasons not to return my Gear...

Its now or was this weekend, 219 at Amazon and Best Buy. I too am tempted with the new Pebble Steel that will be coming out which brings the price tag for the Pebble around 250. The Pebble Steel looks sharp. I too do not use the camera. Supposedly, the camera will be used for other things in the future. Pebble has been out for close to a year now, so there are more options available for that device. The GG has been out for about 3 months and has come a long way since then.

The Gear isn't for everyone.....with that said this might not be for YOU.
    You mentioned some of the great features of this watch and if your not happy with those features then maybe the watch isn't for you.
    I love all the the better improved features on this watch more than the Pebble....which makes it worth the higher price tag. Just like some people like iOS over Android.

If you want to sell it let me know I will buy your gg...

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Honestly, if you're so uncertain and only have a week. I would suggest taking it back. If you regret your decision in the future you can always repurchase it or wait for the next installment. That's what I'm doing.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalixIncendium View Post
    Okay...one week left on my return window, and with each passing day and with each retailer I talk to, I'm more tempted to return it.

I've learned more about the Pebble, and while it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles the Gear has, it's half the price and does most of what I've come to want a smartwatch to do. Do I really need a 1.9MP camera on a watch when my 13MP camera is a few feet away? Do I really need to be able to answer calls and struggle to hear the caller?

I've also heard more than one story about clasp issues. Unlike with the Pebble, the clasp breaking on the Gear is pretty much terminal due to its non-replaceable band.

Don't get me wrong. I do like my Gear. But do I $300 like it? I'm not so sure.

Somebody...anybody...everybody...give me some reasons not to return it.
    One reason; what else are you going to buy that can do the same thing? The useless camera is valuable when you have none (sure, the phone that is a few feet away could take enough time to miss the shot). The crappy phone mic is excellent when used in it's proper context; like when the phone is tucked away. Please, don't think of the watch as a phone; think of the watch as an extension to the phone. People are having a hard time accepting the watch for what it is, an extension of a phone; not a phone. I love mine because I realize it's limitations and strengths and I have adjusted some of my habits and processess to take advantage of those strengths. I can inconspicously read a quick text or email in a meeting. I can determine whether a call is worth even picking the phone up. Now, I don't miss a call when I'm in the living room or back porch and the phone is not with me. For me this last benefit is worth the 300 dollars alone. Sure, some wil say, "Why don't you just walk around with your phone"? Simple; I don't want to and now I don't have to! Now, I'm going to get a pebble too. Why, well, I've got more than one analog watch, who say I can't have more than one smart watch? I said it once, I'll say it again; this is the future and we can either get with it or get left behind!

You don't want to be like everyone else?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for the input everyone. My concerns above coupled with the rumblings at CES led me to return my Gear last night.

And no, Hustleman, I don't want to be like everyone else. I just want to be like you.
    Ni Hammad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fstubbsjr View Post
    One reason; what else are you going to buy that can do the same thing? The useless camera is valuable when you have none (sure, the phone that is a few feet away could take enough time to miss the shot). The crappy phone mic is excellent when used in it's proper context; like when the phone is tucked away. Please, don't think of the watch as a phone; think of the watch as an extension to the phone. People are having a hard time accepting the watch for what it is, an extension of a phone; not a phone. I love mine because I realize it's limitations and strengths and I have adjusted some of my habits and processess to take advantage of those strengths. I can inconspicously read a quick text or email in a meeting. I can determine whether a call is worth even picking the phone up. Now, I don't miss a call when I'm in the living room or back porch and the phone is not with me. For me this last benefit is worth the 300 dollars alone. Sure, some wil say, "Why don't you just walk around with your phone"? Simple; I don't want to and now I don't have to! Now, I'm going to get a pebble too. Why, well, I've got more than one analog watch, who say I can't have more than one smart watch? I said it once, I'll say it again; this is the future and we can either get with it or get left behind!
    I own both, and if you don't think of the Gear as a phone but only as an extension, and you have no use for the ****-poor photos it takes, Pebble is FAR superior. Seriously.