Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Gear: Clock that shows active notificaion icons?

Just bought the watch and I am putting it through its paces for usability and although the vibration is OK on here, it happens fast and could IMO be missed. Currently the only way to check for notifications after a few seconds is to manually swipe to the notifications panel. What would make sense is if there exists a clock that has an area for notification icons to appear instead. Does this exist? If not, that should absolutely be considered. Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-20-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Default Re: Clock that shows active notificaion icons?

It does, but it requires rooting and the installation of a 3rd party launcher.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Clock that shows active notificaion icons?

From what I've tried so far which was the Null rom with the nova launcher I was able to install another app that would show a number of notifications in the home screen. Unfortunately the rom felt pretty buggy and unusable since a lot of the features need internet access which my phone carrier is not capable of doing as I'm in the US. It would be nice for an official notification home screen to come about.

Default Re: Galaxy Gear: Clock that shows active notificaion icons?

What version of Null did you try?

As for Internet tethering, there are 2 excellent tethering tutorials on xda, for the US specifically - quite easy to follow.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I used version 19. Nova launcher felt a little too clunky for the scaled size of the watch. I like the concept but the small screen real estate combined with widgets that can't scale with the size you need to keep things so you can put other shortcuts on the face leads to widgets being cut half way visible. Maybe I need a little inspiration and see what I really go do compared to stock to convince me to give it another try. So far I'm not finding any solid or really useful examples.

I personally went back to stock, so I can't sell you on any benefits of Nova

If I had to look at the pluses of Null rom, it wouls be better battery life and the ability to run Google maps on the Gear.

While it was really cool, the stock is experience is better.

To get the best of both worlds, I'm rooted on a stock MK7 rom, with a few useful apps sideloaded.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

What kind of apps do you use? I'm always looking for ways to make this watch more useful. There is so much potential.

You will laugh, but once the initial excitement died down, very few outside the realm of stock stuff - es file explorer, for its lan sharing capabilities (I can send photos directly from my watch to another device, bypassing my phone), and occasionally a twitter app.

My biggest poison is Watch Styler - I have tons of watch faces loaded and change them often, to suit my attire and occasion.