Galaxy Gear: Watch will not charge

Peter Mills2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Any solutions to these watches not charging .....is there a way to contact Samsung about this issue ..watch is only 3 months old and will not charge now not good enough Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine did that a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be the power supply. At first I thought it was the watch because plugging in my phone charger did not work either. Just before I was going to contact Samsung, I tried it one more time and as luck would have it, I grabbed my tablet charger (has the data pins shorted to tell the device to charge). It worked, so after swapping back and forth between the original one, my phone charger and the tablet charger, I can for sure say the original charger is toast and you must use one with the shorted data pins like for a tablet.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
To all those having problems with charging. I can almost guarantee it is not the Gear at fault. Most of the time it is the cable, and/or the charger.. If you have the original charger, use that, and insert the micro USB correctly. I have a habit of LOOKING to see which way the micro is "dome up/dome down" so when I insert the cable in the charging dock, it is going in the correct way. A lot of users be putting the cable in wrong, then forcing it a bit, causing some damage, and then something doesn't work.. Take care in inserting charging cables should resolve all those problems. The rare time that unit is defective should be taken care of by the warranty.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a problem charging. Looked at the charging connectors on the back of the watch and they were filled with sweat gunk. I used a cotton swab and cleaned the metal connectors thoroughly and it worked. Just a bad connection. Not sure of a solution for those with a brand new, out the box, device...

Posted via Android Central App

Yon Phang Chai

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
guys i had the same issue, i kept my galaxy gear in the cabinet for a month and yesterday i took it off and try to charge but it won't charge.
I tried with all cables i have, still hasn't got any luck.
I cleaned the 5 pins behind the watch and give it a shot, it worked!
i think the pins are needed to clean once in a while due to the accumulated sweats

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Try leaving it on the charger, Sometimes it takes hours for it to register charging if you let it go completely dead. I've had this problem in the past........

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine goes from dead to charged in a few minutes then goes dead after just a couple minutes unplugged. I do not see how that is not the watch going bad after just a few months.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Take the usb off your 3pin plug charger if u have 1 (samsung s4 charger) and plug the gear into a laptop or a desktop and it will start charging slowly.No idea why this works but it does. I think once it goes completely flat it wont charge at a socket outlet. You will all notice that phone and devices take alot longer to charge on laptops and desktops. I think this may have something to do with it. Charge it to 5% on your laptop

Posted via the Android Central App

ninad1980

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I am using a gear for more than an year, however my gear was not active for more than a month and when I decided to use it again, I have experienced the same issue, the gear was not charging at all. I started googling and found this is an issue with gear if you are not using it for long.
I found multiple solutions like opening a watch and disconnect the motherboard/battery and reconnect or hard reboot while connected to dock, however the solution looks scary as we are actually opening the watch, I was not sure with warranty after opening the watch as well.
I found one more solution, which was pretty easy and handy. The solution was “Charge using your computer/laptop”. First I tried with a computer, however it did not work then I tried with Laptop and IT WORKED. The only difference between Computer/desktop and laptop was the admin rights. I have admins rights on Laptop.
I am looking for technical justification for not working from AC charger and working from Laptop USB, but my issue has been resolved. Thank you my laptop

Atuls World

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I had a similar problem.

I looked at a solution on the youtube and I would recommend that before you start opening the Gear or throwing away the dock, please try charging the gear using USB port of your computer. Technically I did not see any logic in this but it has worked for me and so that guy on the your tube.

Best of luck

Cheers

Ya-Ya35

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I had my gear in my dresser draw for like 3 months i took it out try charging it up it came on for a second then it went black it never came back on i clean it plugged it up to my Pc it still doesn't come on can somebody please tell what else can I do

April Ann Reyes

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Mine doesn't charge anymore. I cleaned the pins, I tried charging it to my PC and it did work months ago, not anymore though. it is so frustrating. Please help. Any more solutions?:'(

Troy Gill

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
My was doing the same thing. I tried everything that was suggested but nothing worked. I finally decided to purchase a new battery and after installing my watch started working like new again. After charging it fully I connected it to my phone and played around with it for a couple of hours then I put put it on my nightstand so that I could monitor it's condition over the next few days. After 3 days it still had 53% battery and is still working like a charm.

Wadescott

Oct 17, 2018
Visit site
Bought brand new and delivered today. Plugged in to charge and 30 minutes later at showed 93%. Unplugged and turn on. Immediately message "battery critical low" went dead. Charged again 20 minutes and showed 60% charged. Unplugged and turned on. Again, critical low, turned off.
Am I not charging long enough?
Why would it say 93% and 60%?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC