Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default galaxy gear usb debugging

Hi Guys,

believe me when I say I am a newbie to all this, I literally have no idea. just purchased a galaxy gear and so far am very happy with it, despite reading an endless amount of negative reviews. to the point, again whilst browsing, I stumbled across numerous threads regarding USB Debugging, that it enables you to then use your gear as pretty much a standalone android device. ie being able to play games on it or browse the web etc, this appears very appealing to me but am worried that I will brick my watch. what I want to know - 1. is debugging the same as rooting 2. is this a safe operation, for a complete beginner 3. will 'Debugging' or the process in moving files to my gear via this process void my warranty?

Thanks for taking the time to ready and sorry if my questions appear stupid.

Regards,
    Pete

Default Re: galaxy gear usb debugging

1. is debugging the same as rooting - No.
    2. is this a safe operation, for a complete beginner. It's pretty straight forward. Just follow the directions to a tee. Have you ever rooted an Android device?
    3. will 'Debugging' or the process in moving files to my gear via this process void my warranty? Debugging will not. Rooting will but you can always unroot.

Thanks for your reply, no I have never rooted an android device before, in fact I've only owned an android device for around 2 weeks. As said I love what my gear can do for me at the moment but it's always good to maximise it's potential, I just don't want to do anything to brick it or void it's warranty. If I have little chance of doing either is it worth doing?

Posted via Android Central App
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by pedronev925 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, no I have never rooted an android device before, in fact I've only owned an android device for around 2 weeks. As said I love what my gear can do for me at the moment but it's always good to maximise it's potential, I just don't want to do anything to brick it or void it's warranty. If I have little chance of doing either is it worth doing?

USB debugging will NOT brick your phone. It's a native option in all Android devices. Wouldn't be included by default if it could mess up something on the software side

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Probably doesn't matter but am referring to debugging the galaxy gear.. my concern was when researching debugging it kept referencing rooting the device followed by the usual warning, you are responsible for what happens to your device and this will void your warranty which I don't want to do

Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Probably doesn't matter but am referring to debugging the galaxy gear.. my concern was when researching debugging it kept referencing rooting the device followed by the usual warning, you are responsible for what happens to your device and this will void your warranty which I don't want to do

Some root methods require USB debugging be turned on, so that might have been the reason for that

So I can get what I want on there, eh games and nova without rooting?

Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

So I can get what I want on there, eh games and nova without rooting?

I'm not sure how that works on the Galaxy Gear, but if you're going to be sideloading that might be a little different.