Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What to get

I really like the idea of the Galaxy gear.

So my real questions are going to be what is the best smart watch to get based on what I want it to do.

1. be able to answer and make calls from it.
    2. Receive notifications and clear them
    3. Put on custom watch faces
    4. basic things from my phone, i.e. control music , text message, etc.

I really don't need to run tons of apps. I don't need to really browse the web or even read emails, but would like to get notified of them, and would be cool to be able to read and respond to text messages.

I have a galaxy s4, and have been thinking of getting the gear since it came out.

Would it be advantageous to wait for the gear 2? I am thinking if the gear does what I want it to, then it would be great since prices are going to come down and I can snag one for a good price, but not being able to change the band is the biggest minus for me. The big thing that has me wanting the gear 2 over the gear is being able to change the bands. that is huge for me because I have this itch to use it with a nice stainless watch band like from omega or rolex or cartier etc on it, or be able to put on a nice leather band too with quick clasp so it just has that extra the touch of class with it but being a smart watch at the same time.

I know the gear 2 is on tizen, what would be a disadvantage of that, customization? I know the android development community is huge and there is so much that has been done and can be done by developers with it which fuels some of the cool things I have seen on the gear. I most likely would not be looking to customize it except for putting on different watch faces to suit my mood as long as it can do all the basics that I would us it for.

What would you do? If I am going to wait, I'll set aside the money for it.

Default Re: What to get

Anything but the Samsung Galaxy gear original its junk. Just wait alittle longer they are about to get alot better. The wearable tech market is going to be huge by Spring 2015.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

What about the original do you consider it junk? I would love to hear your thoughts on why. It will definitely help me in my decision. I have sent he gear as low as $200.00 right now, so price is enticing, but I would love to hear some good reasons to wait and if you have some first hand experience, please do share.

Thanks

If you take just afew minutes to search the net for smart watches you will be left wondering why Samsung is trying to pawn off such a limited piece of junk when there are already better smart watches on the market.

And no I am not going to run down the several areas that are lacking in the Samsung Gear. You will have to earn that information yourself or you can just hand over your cash to Samsung like the rest that thought this was something new.

I purchased the gear a week ago for 199 and have the ability to return it if I wanted to but I am enjoying the gear at the discount price. It gives me all my notifications my E mails weather conditions and I can control my music and make and answer calls. Only thing I regret is it is not water proof. Samsung mentioned they will upgrade original gear to the new OS so we will get some cool apps.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If you take just afew minutes to search the net for smart watches you will be left wondering why Samsung is trying to pawn off such a limited piece of junk when there are already better smart watches on the market.

And no I am not going to run down the several areas that are lacking in the Samsung Gear. You will have to earn that information yourself or you can just hand over your cash to Samsung like the rest that thought this was something new.
    I know there is a plethora of information I can and have looked up, but where are your opinions about what it lacks. I know what smart watches can do. from what I see the gear does what it does well, but there is something else coming down the pipeline which looks to be a btter version of this one. But you only state that it has shortcomings and that we are drones to throw our money at samsung to get it. But you don't state your reasons.

I know that if I read all over online I'll read about the issues people have had but I wont necessarily get to read the opinions of those that have not had an issue will I. usually on forums you read about all the negatives of a device.

The galaxy s4 forum is full of people with complaints and issues. For me, I don't have any complaints with my S4. So far it has been an excellent device for me.

I am looking for opinions and reasons why you have those opinions, I don't think just saying go do your research is an opinion. you Stated it is junk, but you don;t state your reasoning behind that.

I do appreciate your comments, and look forward to hearing some valid points about why it is junk.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm View Post
    I purchased the gear a week ago for 199 and have the ability to return it if I wanted to but I am enjoying the gear at the discount price. It gives me all my notifications my E mails weather conditions and I can control my music and make and answer calls. Only thing I regret is it is not water proof. Samsung mentioned they will upgrade original gear to the new OS so we will get some cool apps.

Yes, water resistance or proofing I think is a big deal. definately something to think about. lower price is very enticing on the gear too. I specifically have been waiting to hear the gear 2 announcement mainly because I wanted to see what has been improved. I already know they packaged everything up to be much sleeker, moved some things, added changeable bands and have streamlined it and put a new os on it. I think that it makes the device probably closer to what it should have been in the beginning.

Looking forward to a good discussion here to find out what is best suited for me, and perhaps can be useful for others too.

There is too much to explain and I am not a long typist but I will give you one example. Notifications: The biggest and imo the most important feature a smart watch can do and is supposed to do. The gear will let you know you have one but not any details. Let say you get a Gmail you won't know who its from or even the subject line. Whats the point if I have to pull out my phone to find out if I want to decline it? And many others similar to that, features that are good but not fully thought out. This is a full time job of Samsung get a good idea polish it so people think its great but then you use it and find out its only half-baked. Plus the whole "only works with Samsung devices BS" that's just making the Smart watch retarded. And yes only Samsung did that with their Gear.

But at $199 it is almost in line with it's competition because of its short comings. At the $349 starting price i was a rip off.

Anything but the Samsung Galaxy gear original its junk. Just wait alittle longer they are about to get alot better. The wearable tech market is going to be huge by Spring 2015.
    The Gear is not junk. It's a very solid device, and does a great job of what's it's supposed to do.
    I'd like to know why you consider it junk.

To the OP, I'd suggest getting an opinion from those that own and use the device on a regular basis.
    Most of the negative reviews are from tech reviewers that used the device when it first came out, and haven't used it since. The most recent updates have addressed many of the issues the Gear had when it first came out. Many of them aren't aware of what's been fixed because they had to turn their review unit back in, and no longer own the device. Then you have those that say it's a poor product just because they heard someone else say it was poor.
    I got most of my reviews from the BestBuy website. You will find tons of positive feedback from customers who actually own the device, and use it daily.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    The Gear is not junk. It's a very solid device, and does a great job of what's it's supposed to do.
    I'd like to know why you consider it junk.

To the OP, I'd suggest getting an opinion from those that own and use the device on a regular basis.
    Most of the negative reviews are from tech reviewers that used the device when it first came out, and haven't used it since. The most recent updates have addressed many of the issues the Gear had when it first came out. Many of them aren't aware of what's been fixed because they had to turn their review unit back in, and no longer own the device. Then you have those that say it's a poor product just because they heard someone else say it was poor.
    I got most of my reviews from the BestBuy website. You will find tons of positive feedback from customers who actually own the device, and use it daily.

Good info to know. I will check on some reviews. Curious about the notifications. like being able to see the text message or email subject... does it do that with recent updates?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

There is too much to explain and I am not a long typist but I will give you one example. Notifications: The biggest and imo the most important feature a smart watch can do and is supposed to do. The gear will let you know you have one but not any details. Let say you get a Gmail you won't know who its from or even the subject line. Whats the point if I have to pull out my phone to find out if I want to decline it? And many others similar to that, features that are good but not fully thought out. This is a full time job of Samsung get a good idea polish it so people think its great but then you use it and find out its only half-baked. Plus the whole "only works with Samsung devices BS" that's just making the Smart watch retarded. And yes only Samsung did that with their Gear.

But at $199 it is almost in line with it's competition because of its short comings. At the $349 starting price i was a rip off.
    yes at $199 it is attractive. Curious to find out if any recent software updates have taken care of the notifications. would love to know.

I think the Space Shuttle is a POS. It only goes here and there! Why didn't NASA design it to go hither and yon? And it only works as NASA! What kinda cheap multi billion dollar blunder is that? Having never been in SS, I'm sure I know everything about it. See, I can speak on things I have no clue about because I never owned one. If I did, I'd know that Gmail notifications on the GG does show the subject line. I'd also know that no one in there right mind would want to respond to a email on a tiny screen. I'd also know that this being a Samsung watch, it should work on Samsung phones. { Why the hell would they design a watch to work with a corny Moto POS? }

To the OP. The GG is a nice piece of tech. You can expect a price drop on it very soon. It will be running the same OS as the GG2 sooner or later. But to each his own. My advice? Don't listen to people who have no clue what the hell they are talking about. Nobody can be an expert reading other people's reviews.

See what I mean? The GG was never priced at $349. Also, it has no competition. Surely you don't mean the pebble crap.
    Thanked by:
    cdf3 

The updates that fixed those problems are not even recent. Theyve been fixed for a while now. It works as advertised and meets all of the requirements you listed. I think the negative poster above is sore at Samsung for not making it compatible with other manufacturers and that it is out of his/her price range. It is far from junk though. In my field of work, it's actually a very effective tool.

My opinion.. I love it. Actually swapped my pebble for it. Does exactly what I need it to do, yes there are some emails I receive that won't allow me to read on my gear so have to pull out my phone, but at the very least I know who it's from so can then decide whether it's worth getting my phone out for there and then or not. Text messages, WhatsApp etc are perfect, far better than my pebble ever was, everything is smooth switching between screens and apps.. call quality for me is really good and camera takes surprisingly good pictures. definitely don't regret getting it. But as always, what I love about it, you may hate... Each to their own, all I'd say is give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by AshManMB View Post
    yes at $199 it is attractive. Curious to find out if any recent software updates have taken care of the notifications. would love to know.
    I suggest not jumping for this new fad just yet. A good example of a real Smart Watch that isn't a piggy backing, POS, half-baked, toy for retarded consumer cattle is the Neptune Pine. It isn't made for a certain branded phone but will pair up with them just fine. It is important for me that my smart watch is not proprietary since I like to use it with my Google Glass.

http://www.neptunepine.com/

Samsung saw these types of devices coming and knew they were late for the party so they half-baked the Gear early enough for the masses that don't watch the horizon of the tech world to melt over how kewl the idea was. And yes most of the problems with the first Gear was fixable through updates that doesn't forgive them for releasing more beta junk. Samsung does this alot and just fixing it later isn't going to get my foot out of their ****.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-26-2014 at 04:23 PM.

I suggest not jumping for this new fad just yet. A good example of a real Smart Watch that isn't a piggy backing, POS, half-baked, toy for retarded consumer cattle is the Neptune Pine. It isn't made for a certain branded phone but will pair up with them just fine. It is important for me that my smart watch is not proprietary since I like to use it with my Google Glass.

http://www.neptunepine.com/
    The reason I purchased my Galaxy Gear was for notifications. I would miss quite a few notifications due to the weak vibrate motor on my phone. Now I don't miss any. The Gear does an excellent job in that department.
    You're saying that the Gear is a POS because it doesn't work with your phone. So if Apple comes out with a watch that only works with their ecosystem, should we consider that a POS as well?
    I'm not going to knock Samsung for allowing the Gear to work with devices they've created and tested. They've put a lot of time and money into developing their smartwatch. There is no rule that says that Samsung must test their watch so that it will work with all the other manufacturer phones.
    If calling all of us retards and cattle makes you feel good about yourself, then so be it. We all know the real reason. You either don't have the cash to grab a Gear, or you're upset that the Gear doesn't work with your phone. Sit tight. I'm sure the manufacturer of your phone will come out with one. While you're waiting, we'll be enjoying our Galaxy Gear.
    That Neptune you mentioned is something I would not put on my wrist. That thing is huge! I guess it's OK for kids, but anyone with a good paying job would not be wearing that to work. It's overkill.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    The reason I purchased my Galaxy Gear was for notifications. I would miss quite a few notifications due to the weak vibrate motor on my phone. Now I don't miss any. The Gear does an excellent job in that department.
    You're saying that the Gear is a POS because it doesn't work with your phone. So if Apple comes out with a watch that only works with their ecosystem, should we consider that a POS as well?
    I'm not going to knock Samsung for allowing the Gear to work with devices they've created and tested. They've put a lot of time and money into developing their smartwatch. There is no rule that says that Samsung must test their watch so that it will work with all the other manufacturer phones.
    If calling all of us retards and cattle makes you feel good about yourself, then so be it. We all know the real reason. You either don't have the cash to grab a Gear, or you're upset that the Gear doesn't work with your phone. Sit tight. I'm sure the manufacturer of your phone will come out with one. While you're waiting, we'll be enjoying our Galaxy Gear.
    That Neptune you mentioned is something I would not put on my wrist. That thing is huge! I guess it's OK for kids, but anyone with a good paying job would not be wearing that to work. It's overkill.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    It just so cute how much you want to be part of the conversation. Please do continue to follow me like a cute little puppy with nothing better to do than goto work. Is that fun, this thing you call "work". Being a slave for money you so need.

My father always said "There are 2 kinds of people in the world. The ones that need money and the ones that have money."

It just so cute how much you want to be part of the conversation. Please do continue to follow me like a cute little puppy with nothing better to do than goto work. Is that fun, this thing you call "work". Being a slave for money you so need.

My father always said "There are 2 kinds of people in the world. The ones that need money and the ones that have money."
    Just like there are different types of people in the world. Those with money, and those without. It's obvious you don't have the cash for the Gear, so stop telling everyone how the watch sucks, which you obviously don't own.
    Typical Troll. Hanging out in thread given advice on something you don't even own.

It appears were getting completely off topic here now bringing up personal financial situations and such then following up with pointing fingers of trolling.

Your welcome to post if you have something productive to add to the thread/topic otherwise if you just out to criticize others then its best you don't post. Last and most important, don't take things into you own hands to resolve in the forums. Report the post and let the Mod team handle it.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I have been following the Neptune Pine for 6 months now, thought about their kick start program, but recently lost interest simply like the previous poster, the device is way too big on a wrist. Phablets are fine, you can put them away, but an oversized smartwatch on your wrist throughout the day is too unsightly and clunky.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

I agree the Neptune Pine is large just not too large imo. I want to get a hands-on with the Qualcomm Toq with its wonderful battery life and can be seen clearly in direct sunlight another short coming to the Gear. The Toq isn't a standalone unit but to be honestly all the standalone units are in that large category.

https://toq.qualcomm.com/buy-now

The Neptune Pine was just an example as the Qualcomm Toq is. What is just around the corner in 2015 imo is more than worth waiting for. Your going to see flexible 3,4,5 inch screens only 3-6mm thick. Gear and Google Glass have proven the functionality and market demand. This is going to be one of the few times in history that technology and market demand will insect like this. Most time it lags behind or is to far ahead it doesn't catch on. I am not saying its set in the stars or anything like that. I mean all the pieces are there with cell phones so far beyond what apps really need and the market demanding a new form factor to play with that is smaller and less intrusive than a tablet. Plus a rebounding economy wanting something in the tech sector to pour money into to grow profits. Wearable tech isn't new but it so much more possible now than ever. There is considerable investment being made into cloths that are wired with batteries and static charge accumulators that generate enough power from just daily activity to even body heat to power wireless charging coils within the pockets. Along with being able to charge your phone it can apply the power to sensors for health monitoring this is an area Mark Cuban has billions tied up in. There are just endless possibilities opening up in this area of the market.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Neptune Pine - Smartwatch. Reinvented.

Samsung saw these types of devices coming and knew they were late for the party so they half-baked the Gear early enough for the masses that don't watch the horizon of the tech world to melt over how kewl the idea was. And yes most of the problems with the first Gear was fixable through updates that doesn't forgive them for releasing more beta junk. Samsung does this alot and just fixing it later isn't going to get my foot out of their ****.
    That NeptunePine looks really nice. It definately shows what a smartwatch can be, though maybe it wants to do too much, I can see it being a hot device when it does come out.

This is what I like to find out, about things like this that could sway me from wanting the samsung watch versus something else. It looks promising.

I do thank all have have contributed as it is making some great points about devices which is what I am looking for. I prefer to find out the first hand experiences from people to know what they use it for and how it works for them. it makes it easier for me to decide on what will be right for me.

Ok, heres my take. Strengths: best design, premium look, media player, pic & video. My fave is the voice memo; it can transcribe the recorded message. Weaknesses: not standalone like the pine. Preview Email message, not full message. S Voice is hit/miss.

Overall, I think it's the best smartwatch out there, the Gear 2 seems even better, with a standalone mp3 player. Because of it, I am using my Note 2 less, only for email and Web browsing.

More about the Pine. It seems the quality may not be good enough. The option to pull it out and place it back on the wrist seems flimsy. The overall concept is great, but the attempt to replace the smartphone is questionable, mainly Web browsing and email is far better on a smartphone with a bigger screen.
    Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app