Gear Manager Refuses To Work On Note 3

Mtrhd0024

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys!

I'm new here, been an android user for about 4 years now, and recently purchased a Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon about a month ago. Absolutely love the phone, and managed to keep my Unlimited Data in the process! :) Fast forward to about 3 days ago, and my neighbor (who works for Samsung) approached me asking if I'd be interested in a Galaxy Gear to go with my Note. I figured he could get me a discount or something. Well long story short, he got me one for free!

Anyway, I love this thing, but I have absolutely struggled to get this thing to work with Gear Manager!! My Note 3 is completely stock, as is the Gear. No rooting or modifications of either device. I followed the "getting started" pamphlet using NFC built into the charging dock, to install gear manager but it refuses to work. I did get the gear to "unlock" from its little animation telling you to use the cradle with your phone, so I can play around with the watch. I was then able to manually pair through the bluetooth menu on my GN3. I can use all the functions of the watch, check my contacts, receive calls, even use the "find" phone feature, but it seems adamant it doesn't want me using gear manager to change any settings.

Right now I repeatedly get "The backup data for your gear has been deleted from the mobile device. To connect to the Gear, the Gear will be reset to its factory settings." If I click OK, it temporarily disconnects the phone/watch, then goes back to the "Connect to Gear" screen with the NFC to phone animation on Gear Manager.

I did temporarily get to access GM for a few minutes, by repeatedly pairing/unpairing the phone/watch through the bluetooth menu. The little watch icon appeared in my status bar, and then it allowed me to open GM. It allowed me to change settings on the watch, but as soon as I tried to install an application (in this case the clock face mod app) the GM pitched a fit, and disconnected, sending me back to the "Connect to Gear" screen again, where it has refused to let me back in. This has literally driven me crazy for the last 3 days. Can anyone help? Any way to totally reset everything and start at square one without doing a factory reset on my phone?

I've already tried doing a factory reset on the gear, clearing the cache, data, and then uninstalling GM completely. Then I deleted all devices from the bluetooth paired list on my phone, and restarted my phone before trying from the beginning with NFC. It reinstalls GM, installs 21 "items", makes me check all those stupid disclaimer boxes, and then proceeds to...still not allow me to use Gear Manager! Its literally driving me nuts!

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long 1st post!

Mtrhd0024

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Your Gear is defective. Return it.

The watch functions perfectly though... Everything works, I just can't access it via Gear Manager. Surely this is some sort of a software glitch rather than an actual defect? I was leaning more towards the possibility of something on my phone (an app, another paired bluetooth device, etc) causing the problem, but of course I don't know for sure.

A buddy of mine at work just got a GN3 last week. I may reset my watch one more time, and try and pair it with his phone using NFC. If GM works perfectly with his, then that may point more towards my phone. I'll give it a try and report back. I figured there might be some app or process I could go in the App Manager and kill, to make this little guy pair properly.

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The watch functions perfectly though... Everything works, I just can't access it via Gear Manager. Surely this is some sort of a software glitch rather than an actual defect? I was leaning more towards the possibility of something on my phone (an app, another paired bluetooth device, etc) causing the problem, but of course I don't know for sure.

A buddy of mine at work just got a GN3 last week. I may reset my watch one more time, and try and pair it with his phone using NFC. If GM works perfectly with his, then that may point more towards my phone. I'll give it a try and report back. I figured there might be some app or process I could go in the App Manager and kill, to make this little guy pair properly.

Did you try resetting the watch & repairing? That was going to be my suggestion.......