What do Gear owners think of Android Wear?

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the Galaxy Gear since Christmas, and even though I paid full price, I consider it money well spent.

The biggest upset I have is the lack of apps for the watch. I feel like the hardware is there and so much more can be done with it.

Does anyone think Samsung might bring Android Wear to either the current GG, or to their next line of smart watches? I think putting AW on the current device would make it an amazing product.

Google listed Samsung as one of the partners when announcing Android Wear (along with Motorola, LG, etc) and I'm very curious how this partnership is going to work with their current devices.

Posted via Android Central App

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it's just me, but I don't understand what Android Wear offers that is currently not being pushed to the GG alread?

For instance, weather, sport scores of my favorite teams (as it happens), travel time to/from work or any designation I've asked Google to navigate to, time to leave info etc, is all pushed through Google Now.

My next appointment is displayed because I use that watch face, and all notifications such as shipping status of packages I already receive.

I believe the GG is still the best smartwatch for my needs.

However, like you stated, the biggest disappointment is the lack of apps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
DAS. Can you confirm you have been getting Google Now on your GG? I didn?t know that if so.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
DAS. Can you confirm you have been getting Google Now on your GG? I didn?t know that if so.

As you know notifications don't stay up long, but I will try to snap a few screen shots and post them.

In the Gear Manager Google Now is not an option of available apps, but by selecting Google Search I suppose that's how the info is being pushed.

Nonetheless, I'll provide confirmation.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the biggest thing with android wear is the possibilities. Developers getting excited and hoping on board is going to make it explode in a way galaxy gear hasn't. I'm excited to see what these creative little minds think of.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

After thinking about your request as I was driving to work, and my earlier response, I realized that what I am referring to as Google Now is in fact Google Now, but with one caveat. The GG does not support the actual Google Now app, but by selecting Google Search, under the notifications section within the Gear Manager, Google will push your Google Now information to the Gear.

The pics below show what the notifications look like. It's not the Google Now app you're looking at, but rather the Google Search app with my Google Now information.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 51
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ah, got it, thanks! I was thinking more of Google Now as an alternative to SVoice via an app function. When I had my GG, I find SVoice not as crisp and consistent as I would like it to be, thus I would be thrilled if the new G2 would have Google Now instead of SVoice. Great to hear Moto 360 will have it though, perhaps the G2 may have it added in the future.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Here are some additional snap shots of Google Now info on the Galaxy Gear. No rooting or modifications at all.

Attachments

• pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 49
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 49

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You are awesome, thanks! Forgot to clarify the main reason I prefer Google Now than SVoice is Google Now is much more responsive and accurate than SVoice, at least on my handheld anyway, which would presumably be the same on a smartwatch.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You are awesome, thanks! Forgot to clarify the main reason I prefer Google Now than SVoice is Google Now is much more responsive and accurate than SVoice, at least on my handheld anyway, which would presumably be the same on a smartwatch.

Yes. I agree with you with regards to voice capabilities. S-Voice is abysmal at best. Sammy has some great tech people working for them, but they just can't seem to get S-voice to work as fluidly as it should.

Google Now voice integration via Android Wear will be a welcomed addition to the smartwatch. My only concern is seeing if the new crop of smartwatches will incorporate phone capabilities? I have not read whether the products from Moto, LG, or even Fossil will have phone capabilities or not? Having the ability to talk on the phone via the Gear has proven very useful to me. I don't want to just know I have a phone call like is the case with the Pebble or the Sony smartwatch. I want to be able to answer the call and have a conversation.

Yesterday I was changing the battery in my motorcylce (it's Spring and time to get ready for some summer riding) and while my hands were removing and replacing battery cables I was able to speak with my daughter. With the other smartwatch offerings I would have only known that she called and would have had to stop what I was doing in order to hold the phone and talk. It's little things like this that make the Gear a value in my life.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You're right, Moto 360 and any other Android smartwatches don't have the capability to make and receive calls. The Pine is way too big and clumbsy, that is why I can't wait for the G2 despite no Google Now, at least at launch anyway.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why the moto 360 wouldn't be able to make and receive calls. It definitely has a microphone to understand Google now, and a speaker. It's connected to the phone with bluetooth. No reason it shouldn't be able to be used to receive calls.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why the moto 360 wouldn't be able to make and receive calls. It definitely has a microphone to understand Google now, and a speaker. It's connected to the phone with bluetooth. No reason it shouldn't be able to be used to receive calls.

You are correct. I don't see any reason why Moto 360 would not allow the user to make and receive calls, but in all the articles and little demo videos I've seen there has been no mention of it all. I really do hope it's part of the functionality, but until I see an official announcement I'm not going believe any rumors. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12