Upgraded Gear 1 to Tizen BUT...

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
O.K., just so you guys know, I just flashed Tizen (Canada version) to my Gear 1. The biggest problem I'd like to warn you all about is that after I flashed Tizen and connected it to my phone, I later tried to re-connect my Gear 2 AND IT HAD TO BE COMPLETELY RESET (so I lost everything on the watch and had to start all over)!!!!!!!

It appears that the phone can only connect to either the G1 or the G2 and needs to completely reset each when going back and forth! There HAS to be a better way. I can't believe that the Gear Manager has had such a difficult time switching between the 2 watches, but it's been a constant problem that has been driving me crazy since the day I bought the second Gear.

I only updated the G1 to Tizen to improve on the switching (hoping that with both watches being on Tizen it would be a smoother transition from one to the other, but that is NOT the case at all). Beware!

If anyone figures out why this is happening or more importantly, how to avoid it and simply connect one watch after the other, PLEASE let me know how! It's amazing how these 2 watches are made by the same manufacturer but they don't work well together AT ALL!!!

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thx.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an answer, but thanks for sharing what you went through. Bummer, but at least you gave the heads up for someone else.

johnmltb33

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
In the User's Manual for the Gear 2 (which is Tizen) it states: "Note: You cannot install Gear Manager on mobile devices that do not support Gear 2 syncronizing. Ensure that your mobile device is compatible with a Gear 2™.
You can connect only one mobile device to one Gear. You cannot use multiple Gear devices at the same time." This manual is available on Samsung.com. I would think that the Galaxy Gear after being upgraded to Tizen would have the same requirements.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info/responses guys! In answer to your questions however is yes, I am sure that my Note 3 is compatible with the Gear 2, and yes, the two devices have separate names by default.

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry that I have no other advice to offer but now I won't be getting a gear 2 anytime soon if I can't switch between the gear and gear 2 without wiping out all of the settings. You would think that the gear manager app would keep the settings of each device separate.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You're RIGHT. You would really think that things would be seemless between the 2 now that both devices are on Tizen!! I am amazed at how much trouble I've had since having both watches.

maincrash

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
can you provide me the canadian tizen files to upgrade my gear 1 and what to do to remove it from my android,
basically a little step by step on how you made it, i tried several atempts in the last few days but not sure if the failure is the software im using or the uk files ...

need a hand
thanks
Maincrash

noellenchris

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've already been through this and thought Tizen was pretty neat. I even downloaded and set up the developer kit. Long story short is there just really isn't much out there. And with all the new watch's going with Android Wear (Android 4.4 made for watches) I doubt that all the people making all these apps are going to try to support another OS for 2 watches from Samsung. Learn from the past. They launched the first gen on Android, the fastest growing OS. And look how much is out there for smartwatches on Android. Not a lot. Your not missing anything. If it took developers this long to start making apps for Android, Tizen on the watch's will be a painful wait for anything worth while other than cool watch faces and SVoice. Search for and load up the custom rom Null_ and load that up till Android Wear is ported over.

EDIT: Back again, well loaded up Tizen again and changed my build.prop to a Galaxy S5 and I was shocked to see the difference in amount of apps. Don't know why the Note 3 has so few. Anyhow, I retract most of my statements in the first paragraph...:p Maybe Tizen isn't so bad after all, it seems it's Samsung that is messing up their app store. I did also notice that if it thinks I have the Note 3, I can load up other tizen apps that aren't on the S5 and vice versa. Strange, so I had to reboot to load the different apps.

Chris

Last edited: