Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Wear or Tizen? Help decide between Galaxy Live and Gear 2

You know, it's amazing how difficult it is to decide on an Android Smart Watch now that it has split into two separate platforms.

Clearly, the Gear 2 is a more advanced watch, with longer battery life.

However, it runs Tizen which prohibits the use of Google Now, the most appealing factor of owning a Smart Watch in the first place.

So, basically, now I have to look at the Galaxy Live which can barely run on a single day's charge, can't make phone calls, but DOES run Google Now.

What do you guys personally prefer here?

Default Re: Android Wear or Tizen? Help decide between Galaxy Live and Gear 2

open and free always beats closed and proprietary.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    open and free always beats closed and proprietary.
    Which platform are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Which platform are you talking about?
    IMO stick with Android Wear. Android Wear is open and used by many manufacturers and will work with many Android phones. Tizen watch is closed and only used by Samsung and will only work with Samsung phones. Open and free always beats closed and proprietary. Tizen is like being stuck on a deserted island all by yourself.

Google Now and turn-by-turn navigation are important features as is the transportability Gekko points out. The one big advantage to me for Tizen(Samsung) is the willingness to do local storage so the Gear 2 can be used as a standalone media player/fitness device.

Having a smartwatch to leave your phone in your pocket is great, but having a smartwatch to leave your phone at home sometimes is even better. Hopefully, they'll remove the local storage restriction on Live.

Default get the live, here is why

Well now your wish came true. Wear now supports local storage.
    I bought a live over 2 because the live is better in many respects. What happens if Samsung doesn't keep supporting tizen? I don't have to worry about that with my gear live. Battery isn't that bad, I charge it at night and it lasts a day or two.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Re: get the live, here is why

Any updated opinions? Does the Gear 2 get updated that often I just bought one.

Samsung sends regular updates to the Gear 2 through the phone app Gear Manager.
    They have added quite a few apps since I first got my Gear 2 in April.
    Overall, I really like the watch, there are a few things on Wear that I would like but the camera has come in handy multiple times. The Bluetooth calling and notifications are great.