T-Mobile Galaxy Grand Prime stuck in setup wizard loop

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a co-worker who came to me for help on his Grand Prime. He said it was having problems so he reset it but couldn't get it to work still and asked me to take a look at it for him. Part of his problem was that he had triggered the "talkback" feature. I fixed that and tried to get him through the setup wizard. It will move through the wizard fine but after it gets to the part where it wants your gmail password it will restart the wizard instead of moving on to the phone. It's just a continuous loop. It does a bit of setup, asks for wifi, asks for your username, and then your password. After he enters his password it will restart the wizard all over again.

At first he couldn't remember his google password and reset it while we were working on his phone. I've read about the 72 hour lock and thought he may have triggered that? But it doesn't say his phone is locked which I believe the setup wizard will notify you of?

Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The password change could be the issue. Wait 72 hours and try again. Or was this problem happening before the password change?

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not honestly sure what it was doing before the password change. I think his only problem was the "talkback" assistant was turned on and it was causing him issues with typing ect. He tried to reset his phone before bringing it to me. When he brought me the phone it was in the setup wizard but still doing the talkback stuff and he thought it was still broken. After we got that turned off, we went through the wizard and it was fine until I told him to put his password in. That's when he told me he didn't know it. I told him to reset his password. I wasn't aware of the lockout feature (probably didn't matter since he didn't know what his password was anyway so he was going to have to reset it). He went through the steps of resetting his password and when the new one was entered it started the loop.

He left just a little while ago and was going to take his phone to a Tmobile store on the way home to see if they could help him. I told him I'd try to get an answer in case he didn't have any luck there. I didn't mention it but his phone is stock and not rooted what so ever. He's about the least technical guy I know :).

Thank you for the reply.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, tell him to try again at least 72 hrs after changing his password. And make sure he remembers his password this time!;) Tell him to write it on a piece of paper and keep it some place safe and secure at home.

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
He called Google support last night after visiting the T-mobile store. They told him it was locked for 72 hours due to the reset and password change. Thanks again for your help.