Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reception?

I need new phone and on newegg, howard forums, and amazon, lots of reviews say bad antenna and dropped calls. I went to a store in NYC yesterday and it was fine. But they probably have a booster or something. I was visiting my sister. And now I'm back in Chicago. I will goto a store here and ask what the deal is. Hope its good. Really want to get a light.

Anyone else have dropped calls and bad reception or should I save my money.

Default Re: Reception?

Chances are that reception issues are due more to the network than to the phone's antenna. Which wireless provider are you considering? Check their coverage map online, but keep in mind that some networks (like T-Mobile) are worse inside large buildings compared to others (like Verizon and AT&T).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have tmobile Walmart 30 dollar plan unlimited data 5gb high speed, unlimited texts, and 100 minutes voice. It is bahe d inside buildings. Like my Costco for example I can only get 2g by the food court with my ipohne 3gs. after switching to a alcatel on touch evolve 3g for 50 dollars at best buy I get 3g everywhere not just the food court. So reception is very important. And my family cant reach me its no good. But the alcatel is single core and Samsung is quad core. Also double the storage 4gb versus 8. And auto focus camera versus fixed. Plus it will get kitkat versus I'm stuck on 4.1.2 now and no upgrade in sight. So much better. But reception is a must before I decide to get a new phone.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I went to a store today. Something odd. I was testing constantly 20-24mb with ookla speed test. In NYC I was testing about 30mb. Same samsung galaxy light with 4glte. And both said lte on the top of the phone. Not on the phone but when you are on the phone where all the symbols are on top like wifi, etc. So lte is not as good here but he said in late 2013 same store lte will be ready by end of year 2013.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I decided to buy anyhow and take my chances.

Ok I just ordered the light from newegg. It was 120 dollars. And they had a promo code 10 dollars off. So 110 and free shipping 4-7 days instead of 3 days but not bad. 110 for a quad phone with lte.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM

If you still have a problem with web access, or dropping calls, go to your pull down/settings/more networks/mobile networks/network mode - and change it from LTE to WCDM-GSM. I have had the same problem because I was hopping from LTE towers to GSM, being in the middle of the two. Of course the WCDMA-GSM is a little slower, but at least it solved this problem for me. Then when I go to an area I know has LTE, I simply switch it back. Hope this helps!