Please recommend case and/or screen cover ASAP

cdealz

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!

My dumb phone died this weekend and I'm waiting for the delivery of my first smartphone - the Galaxy Light. I'm terribly clumsy and would like some good protection for the phone in the form of a good case and screen protector.

I searched Amazon for products and might purchase a couple from them because they're relatively inexpensive.

What case and/or screen protector do you use? Do you like it? Not like it? Why?

ANY advice is much appreciated! I'd like to buy in the next couple-few days.

Thanks!

paulsiu

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
After a bit of research, I decided to go with the illumishield which you can get off amazon for about $6.95. It's a dry install, which had been problematic to install in the past, but recently I discovered a new method using masking tape as hinges which allow easy installation of the product.

You get 3 pack per order. The protector is quite thick and looks short of milky, but when you put it on the phone it's quite clear. The cutouts are all perfect. Installation was fairly simple, except that the backing didn't come off initially when I pull on the tab.

Only time will tell if it works. For the case, I am getting the Frosted TPU case, which another poster mentioned has the best fit.

Paul

paulsiu

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Received the new Frosted TPU case in the mail. The color is totally off from the picture, which display a color of sky blue, but the color is really a metallic deep blue color. The case fit tightly with the phone and is not in danger of popping out when you drop the phone. Based on previous experience of this case type, The case should provide OK protection from drops. There's a slight lip to prevent breakage from the front. The lip does not appear to interfere with swipe to the side.

One annoyance is that the Illumishield appears to form bubble up with the edge of the screen protector. It's just a little bit though. Folks who are bothered by this should avoid this particular screen protector.

Paul

Last edited:

paulsiu

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Following up with the Illumishield. I notice that the screen protector is actually not that great in the scratch department. After a week in my pocket with keys, there are already a few scratch. Unlike Zagg, the screen protector does not appear to be self-healing, so the scratches remain. On the plus side, the scratches are not visible when the screen is on.

Paul

shmutt1980

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
15 bucks via zagg for the protector - as for cases, pretty much anything you can find on amazon to your liking, they were so cheap i decided to pick up twooooo!

Amazon.com: Generic for Samsung Galaxy Light T399 - Cover Case with Kickstand and Holster - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
- - That one i bought on 12/17 and have used since - there are no damages to the case or scratches after a year of use, the silicone protection around the phone has not stretched or deformed at all either. While at work i actually spin the phone on my desk absentmindedly and not a scratch. i dont use the holster as its too bulky.

Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399 Screen Protector | ZAGG