Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Hands-On with the Galaxy Mega 6.3

Check out Alex's hands-on with the device. What do you guys think? Too big?

Default Re: Hands-On with the Galaxy Mega 6.3

I like it.
    Are these available in the US?

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Yes, they are available unlocked through the normal unlocked GSM phone sellers. I just did a Google search, purchased one from ( AT GSM Inc. - www.atgsm.com ) and I love it as I do not do a lot of talking on the phone. I use it more for media, texting, e-mail and web surfing. To me it's better than carrying a phone and a tablet.
    OceanView likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rough1200 View Post
    Yes, they are available unlocked through the normal unlocked GSM phone sellers. I just did a Google search, purchased one from ( AT GSM Inc. - www.atgsm.com ) and I love it as I do not do a lot of talking on the phone. I use it more for media, texting, e-mail and web surfing. To me it's better than carrying a phone and a tablet.
    What carrier are you using it on?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

AT&T
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Has he done hands on with the Xperia ultra z yet?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Available Friday through AT&T and upcoming on Sprint and US Cellular

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app
    The KISS Army likes this.

Global Posts
    6,112 Global Posts

Great vid review. Plus nothing else I've seen gives one a sense of how it is to make a call on it or shove it in one's pocket. I thought the Note 2 might be my limit, but I could definitely do this. IF, of course, it had a better screen and better specs.

Has anyone tried Tmobile service on the AT&T unlocked mega 6.3?

T-mobile Note 2 sgh-T889

Global Posts
    6,112 Global Posts

I just played with the Mega at the AT&T store today. Great phone. It certainly did not feel or look underspec'd. Didn't feel too big to be a daily driver, either, at least for me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    DC Damien likes this.

I got one yesterday at AT&T and have been playing with it all night. I think it is just the right size because now I will not need to get a tablet. I really like the multi-window and pop-up videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Check out Alex's hands-on with the device. What do you guys think? Too big?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...;v=OgL0TtReHJo
    There is no way anyone can tell if its too big by looking at a video.

The 5.8" and 6.3" have been out in Thailand for a while and I can say from trying the MEGA 6.3" that this phone is entirely way too big. It has no S-Pen so really, it makes no sense to carry it around. It will not fit anywhere, it's slow, and really nothing special. Like an oversized Galaxy Grand basically.

It is OK for girls to put in a purse, but anything over 5.5" is just way too much.

Anyone interested just go try it for yourself. The size will put you off. I thought that I was going to want this phone until I went and saw it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    Great vid review. Plus nothing else I've seen gives one a sense of how it is to make a call on it or shove it in one's pocket. I thought the Note 2 might be my limit, but I could definitely do this. IF, of course, it had a better screen and better specs.
    The screen is fine. It performs like a galaxy grand. It lags here and there but nothing major. It's just way too big. You would have to be constantly taking it out of your pocket and putting it on a table when you sit, etc. it's just too much hassle.

The one hand dialing doesn't matter because you can have the One Hand setting on and it'll shove the keyboard to one side or the other. G Pro had the same thing. It's just the 6.3" size it way too much. You'll see when you see it in person. There is nothing special about it. No feature that would make you say "hm. Yea. That's worth carrying this thing around". It's just 0.7" shy of a Galaxy Tab. It's humongous. Unless you're Shaq, I think it's too big for normal people.

The 5.8 is more manageable, but still. Just too big. The G Pro is the perfect size for a big phone.

Global Posts
    6,112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    The screen is fine. It performs like a galaxy grand. It lags here and there but nothing major. It's just way too big. You would have to be constantly taking it out of your pocket and putting it on a table when you sit, etc. it's just too much hassle.

The one hand dialing doesn't matter because you can have the One Hand setting on and it'll shove the keyboard to one side or the other. G Pro had the same thing. It's just the 6.3" size it way too much. You'll see when you see it in person. There is nothing special about it. No feature that would make you say "hm. Yea. That's worth carrying this thing around". It's just 0.7" shy of a Galaxy Tab. It's humongous. Unless you're Shaq, I think it's too big for normal people.

The 5.8 is more manageable, but still. Just too big. The G Pro is the perfect size for a big phone.
    If you'd read down a couple of posts, you would have seen that I did go and try it out in person. I'm no Shaq, and I did not feel the device would be too big for regular use, carrying it in my pocket (though I couldn't test that out directly), etc. Yeah, it's a big sucker, but I think it just hits the upper limit of what many people would consider if they were looking for a large phone.

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    If you'd read down a couple of posts, you would have seen that I did go and try it out in person. I'm no Shaq, and I did not feel the device would be too big for regular use, carrying it in my pocket (though I couldn't test that out directly), etc. Yeah, it's a big sucker, but I think it just hits the upper limit of what many people would consider if they were looking for a large phone.
    I don't agree. I think it's way too big.

The only buyer for this phone should be girls with purses. And keep the phone in one of those flappy cases. Maybe a hello kitty case.

5.5" is plenty big. This Mega 6.3" is way too big and it is nothing more than an overgrown Galaxy Grand really.

It is slim. I'll give it that. But it is just way too big. Anyone would look ridiculous talking on the phone with it.

Also, it won't fit comfortably in any pocket unless you have no job or can wear cargo pants to work.

As I said, I wanted to buy one, but I quickly changed my mind as soon as I held it.

It's just a laggy, slow, massive, low resolution phone. It's not all that. Good for high school girls though. I would give it to my daughter as a Christmas present.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

After he said only 4GB of storage was available I stopped watching. What the heck? Why would Samsung do this? Are they that worried about Note 2 and 3 sales?

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    After he said only 4GB of storage was available I stopped watching. What the heck? Why would Samsung do this? Are they that worried about Note 2 and 3 sales?

It's a phone for high school girls to Facebook.

Global Posts
    6,112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajarnfalang View Post
    I don't agree. I think it's way too big.

The only buyer for this phone should be girls with purses. And keep the phone in one of those flappy cases. Maybe a hello kitty case.

5.5" is plenty big. This Mega 6.3" is way too big and it is nothing more than an overgrown Galaxy Grand really.

It is slim. I'll give it that. But it is just way too big. Anyone would look ridiculous talking on the phone with it.

Also, it won't fit comfortably in any pocket unless you have no job or can wear cargo pants to work.

As I said, I wanted to buy one, but I quickly changed my mind as soon as I held it.

It's just a laggy, slow, massive, low resolution phone. It's not all that. Good for high school girls though. I would give it to my daughter as a Christmas present.
    To each his own. I wear dress slacks to work, which would have plenty of room for it. And I really don't care if someone thinks I look "ridiculous" talking on a phone. They said the same thing about people talking on the Note 2 when it came out. Also, I gave it a thorough spin and it was not at all laggy. I found it quite smooth, in fact. While the resolution was obviously not in Nexus 7-2013 territory, it was more than adequate. I'm happy with my Note 2, but I wouldn't reject this out of hand. It's not going to sell like the Note 2 or S4, obviously, but I'm sure there will be a market for it, and it won't just be females or Hello Kitty fans.
    n-strike likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

How many other phones are being released with only 8GB of internal storage? Why would someone want this as opposed to a Note 2. Is it significantly cheaper? It's just an interesing device...maybe nothing more than an experiment. I'd like to talk to someone that got this device and see what made them select this device despite its ...configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    How many other phones are being released with only 8GB of internal storage? Why would someone want this as opposed to a Note 2. Is it significantly cheaper? It's just an interesing device...maybe nothing more than an experiment. I'd like to talk to someone that got this device and see what made them select this device despite its ...configuration.

Here in Thailand it's only $100 cheaper than a GS2. It makes no sense to buy one.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

The AT&T version has 16GB of internal storage with 11GB available.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,870 Global Posts

I freaking love it. Added a 64GB sd and with 85 apps installed I still got 9GB free.
    MissMeowsic likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I freaking love it. Added a 64GB sd and with 85 apps installed I still got 9GB free.
    I've read that it makes a better tablet than phone. Thoughts?

Sent from my humble S4

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CyanogenMod

I played with the Mega today. I think the screen quality is better than the S3, the S4 and the Note 2. It is big but that makes reading and videos more enjoyable. It probably won't be quite as easy for simple texting or phone calls. But it all depends on how you use your phablet.
    Banned

Global Posts
    7,109 Global Posts

The Samsung rep was in store a couple weeks ago talking up this phone (preparing our Bell release) and told us its geared to senior citizens and the sight impaired.

I wish I was joking, while I can absolutely see that as being the case she flat out told is its for the senior market mostly...and pretty much every customer who's looked at it dismissed it as too big.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast