Galaxy Nexus Randomly shutting down?

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Just received a Galaxy Nexus from Expansys, and was listening to music on Google Music, and randomly I heard this weird static noise for about 20 seconds, then phone randomly completely shut down. I could not boot it back up until I took out the battery and put it back in.

After about 5 more hours using it after though, I've had no problems. Was wondering if anyone else had these issues. Currently using version 4.0.1, GSM

mightyfo

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue once. I dont remember what I was doing but it just randomly froze. I think i may have been able to shut the screen off or it went out on its own. I couldnt get it back on or turn it on until I took the battery out and restarted. It has only happened once, keeping my fingers crossed thats the last.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Haven't noticed anything like that. The only thing that I've seen an issue with is when you are playing Google Music and take a call, sometimes Music freaks out, plays the first five seconds of a few songs then just force closes.

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah okay thanks guys.

Also, has anyone noticed scrolling lag in the stock browser? Seems to lag a bit for me... and I get huge blocks of just "white" when rendering some pages. Pretty annoying atm. =\

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Jeez, you must have gotten the runt phone :p Haven't had any of this, no slow down anywhere since I got it, even after abusing it for a couple weeks.

tresnugget

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My LTE Galaxy Nexus has done it twice today. I've seen GSM and LTE Galaxy Nexuses doing it after a little bit of searching. Looks like there may still be a few bugs with ICS. Mine happened while at the launcher once and once while going through the gallery.

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Jeez, you must have gotten the runt phone :p Haven't had any of this, no slow down anywhere since I got it, even after abusing it for a couple weeks.

You have no lag when scrolling on the stock browser? I've read in several places there is some on a few sites. Mainly with lots of images, which is kind of annoying. :(

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The first time I tried to make a call it shut down on me, other wise the phone has been fine. Poor reception compared to my Moto Droid, but even with one or no bars I can still make and receive calls. Like the Nexus so far, little afraid its going to be a battery hog though.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You have no lag when scrolling on the stock browser? I've read in several places there is some on a few sites. Mainly with lots of images, which is kind of annoying. :(

I haven't had any issues with the browser, and I use it a lot and for large pages. The only place I see any lag is the Gallery, when I scroll really fast.

danguyen2011

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Received mine yesterday from Verizon online. It shuts down randomly. Has happened four or or five times in the last day. Can't seem to see a pattern so I can duplicate. Most of the time is when it is idle--I am not using it. I pick it up and it is shut down and I have to power up.

Last edited:

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's happened twice to me so far. Once using the FX equalizer, and once during a call. Seems to be random and hopefully is a bug within ICS and not a device defect. I'm using the LTE model.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

danguyen2011

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Only a day into experiencing these shut downs, but I'm beginning to suspect the Screen lock and Automatic lock settings. I had enabled PIN lock and Auto lock after 30 minutes. I switched back the Auto lock to 30 seconds and haven't experienced a random shut down in the last few hours. I still have the PIN lock.

Autotkgrad

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the phone at Costco on the 15th. Yesterday alone, it powered off at least four times. Once while in standby. Uninstalled Juice Defender, ATK, and many other apps and have not had an issue since. When it powered down, I did not pull the battery, but had to hold the power button for longer than normal before it started.

Try uninstalling apps and let us know what happens.
I'll return and post if it powers off again.

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the Android scene so I don't know how common this is. Got my Verizon Galaxy Nexus yesterday. Today it has already rebooted itself twice - once at 1pm and again at 8pm. Both times the screen was off, it was not playing music or anything, but there were several apps running. Is there anywhere I can look to see if it logged anything about why it rebooted?

birdeye#AC

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys i suggest u search for something thats called the sleep of death or SOD in XDA forums. its a problem with a few of samsung android products.

Kaoxt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Guys i suggest u search for something thats called the sleep of death or SOD in XDA forums. its a problem with a few of samsung android products.

Does this involve a green/redish line in middle? I was listening to Google Music on headphones, then I had this SCREECHING loud noise. I immediately pulled headphones off and looked at screen. It took me out of the Music app and back to home page. I noticed a line in middle shortly before it automatically shutdown.

I had to pull out battery and put it back in, in order to get the phone working again.

Seems like I am not the only one either... just saw someone named mark say this on another site:

seems eurodroid is dead :(…and i just started here as well!!!

well, i’ve had one weird experience so far. as i was listening to a song, my nexus just decided to die on me, after going through some screeching noise and the screen going all crazy/static!!!

taking out the batter and rebooting seemed to fix the problem, and i’ve had no issues since.

it think this may be the “force GPU” error that i’ve seen mentioned in some site :(

I love this phone, but this issue has happened twice to me now. Trying to get a hold of Expansys to switch the phone out, to see if that'll help at all.

richardlabella

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I select "all mailboxes" in email it shuts down. Also shuts down when I open an excel spreadsheet. Ive also had a few random shutdowns elsewhere as well.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have seen this issue as well, I've had the phone since launch day have seen it about once a day. It mostly happens during keyboard input, but I have seen it other times as well. I have been unable to pin it on any particular app as of yet.

ChubNugget

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had this random shutdown/restart a few times already and it always happens when I'm using the stock "music" app. I have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus if this makes any difference. Any word if this is due to a defective device or software bug would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards