Which is better Exynos 5 Octa SoC or Snapdragon800

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
So since the rumor is that the Note 10.1 wifi version will have the Exynos 5 Octa SoC, and the LTE version will sport the Snapdragon 800, which do we really want? Knowing that these are both new procs and I havent found too many comparisons does anyone see a reason you are favoring one over the other. Will you pay more for the LTE version to get the Snapdragon or do without LTE so you can have the Exynos 5?

Beleg

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I do not have an answer, but I have been asking myself the same question. I am lucky enough to get to have my company buy me a new android tablet, and I had quickly decided on the note. I will not be adding a data plan (nor would my company), so I do not need the LTE. Money (for once) not being my concern, they said to pick whichever version I wanted. I know the Qualcomm Snapdragons have lately proven themselves, and it has the higher speed. But, if it works as I hear samsung claims, that this new chip all 8 processors simultaneously, that should mean some monster multi-tasking.

I suppose I could wait a few weeks after they come out and read all of the reviews then. But, childishly, I want it the day it comes out.

P.S. Hopefully no one is too upset, my job pays horribly, and I would rather have the probably $700+ in cash than a new tablet, but I take what I can get.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
In order for all 8 processors to be working at the same time Samsung would have to push a software update. Another Android OEM that uses Samsung's Exynos processor is the one who said it only required a software patch to make full use of all 8 cores. My hope is Samsung actually does release it.

Now the downside to getting Exynos vs Snapdragon is Samsung has been much more closed off on letting the developer community access to the necessary code to get us what we want. So the question is how does it affect root and/or bootloader access?

MisterMe11

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Based on the Anandtech and other benchmark reviews I think that the Snapdragon 800 is the better solution, so I am disappointed that Samsung will use the Exynos in the Wifi version. I have no need for the LTE version.
Other than that, this is a very intriguing product (the rumored 12.2 perhaps more so). I want an Android tablet to go along with the Note 3 I'm strongly considering. But I want the CPU and graphics performance to come close to the iPad 5 (which I think will set the standard)
I like the S-pen features of the Note tablets but if I have to choose between a Snapdragon 800 based Nexus 10 successor and Exynos based Note tablet, the Nexus will have an advantage IMO.

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the 3dmark benchmark app and was comparing the exynos note 3 and the snapdragon note 3. The snapdragon one performed better in the graphics department while the exynos had better physics/cpu scores. I find that interesting as the snapdragon has faster clocks (yes I know different chip so you can't directly compare). I'm still putting my money on the snapdragon better for both departments. It could be that the 3dmark benchmark is capable of using all cores hence the better cpu scores. If that's the case, snapdragon will be better for the average person since apps aren't designed to utilize 8 cores, at least not anytime soon.

Beleg

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was reading that the Exynos allows faster memory speed (1866) though from what I have read the Note 3's being seen have installed ram speed of 933, (all these facts could be wrong, as I got them from the internet. ;-) ) Still, 933 vs 800 can make a small difference, as ultimately performance is only as good on tablets as weakest link, cpu, gpu, memory, software, etc. I personally like the proven performance of the Snapdragon, but if the mythical software update occurs that allows all 8 processors to work in high intensity environment, without catching on fire, that could be pretty cool.

anon(22793)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I was reading that the Exynos allows faster memory speed (1866) though from what I have read the Note 3's being seen have installed ram speed of 933, (all these facts could be wrong, as I got them from the internet. ;-) ) Still, 933 vs 800 can make a small difference, as ultimately performance is only as good on tablets as weakest link, cpu, gpu, memory, software, etc. I personally like the proven performance of the Snapdragon, but if the mythical software update occurs that allows all 8 processors to work in high intensity environment, without catching on fire, that could be pretty cool.

I think the idea about the 8 cores is 4 are high performance (and higher battery consumption) cores, while the other 4 are low power, low performance stuff. Like listening to music, reading etc. I dont think the software needs to be able to harness 8; just 4 because you switch between the two cpu "islands" as the load increases and decreases.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the idea about the 8 cores is 4 are high performance (and higher battery consumption) cores, while the other 4 are low power, low performance stuff. Like listening to music, reading etc. I dont think the software needs to be able to harness 8; just 4 because you switch between the two cpu "islands" as the load increases and decreases.

Correct. lower cpu quad-core for lower power needs and high power quad-core cpu for intensive apps. Plus the potential if Samsung releases the code or pushes and update that can use all 8 cores at once is also possible.

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
So if it's always one or the other set of 4 cores, that means in 3dmark, the scores do indicate that the exynos version has better cpu processing due to higher frame rates and not because 3dmark is somehow utilizing all 8 cores at once.

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
So with all the talk about enabling all 8 cores at once, that's great and all but doesn't the app need to have 8 core support? What good is enabling 100 cores if the app you're using can only support 2 at most (like emulators for example, or play store games).

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Engadget review for the note 10.1 wifi is out. From the review, sounds like the exynos can be sluggish while on the note 3 they've been praising that it doesn't hiccup at whatever they throw at it. Is it because once again the exynos is not optimized? Or is it because of the extra pixels? I'm probably going to put my money on the lower clock speed and less optimized chip.