Question about picking up the SGN 10.1 2014

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
The reviews I'm reading all say the same thing. That it's a bit laggy. I guess I'll out for myself tomorrow. I'll have 45 days to test drive it as a Best Buy Elite Plus customer.

from my Note 3

Great point, forgot about that benefit. Looks like I'll go back to BB tomorrow with my 'tail tucked between my legs', so to speak. ;)

SaSqUaDgE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Within 45 days I'm sure iPad 5 and Nexus 10 will be out, so if I return it I won't be without a tablet for more than a few minutes!

Sent from my Crapple iPhone 5

Don't believe these reviews I've had mine for over a week now, I snagged one from Tiger Direct and it runs very smooth.

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to return one at Best Buy after a couple weeks? I'm jonesing for one but if theNexus 10 comes out with similar specs but better performance due to no TouchWiz Lag and is $150-$200 cheaper I might want to swap out the SGNfor a Nexus 10 refresh.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to return one at Best Buy after a couple weeks? I'm jonesing for one but if theNexus 10 comes out with similar specs but better performance due to no TouchWiz Lag and is $150-$200 cheaper I might want to swap out the SGNfor a Nexus 10 refresh.

Best Buy has a 14-day no-restocking-fee policy so you should be okay to return it if there are problems or you decide something else better fits your needs. ;)

Note 8.0

Nick Pasquale

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Weird question for you. With the Note 3 I have changed my Notification sound to a song so it goes for some time. When my phone rings I can hit the power button and the ringing stops and then i can answer the phone. Good for in the office when I don't want to disturb everyone. When my notification ringer goes off I can't figure out how to silence the notification ringer until the song is done. Any ideas ???

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So I get to Best Buy bright and early this morning. For some reason, I didn't pre-order (don't ask me why). All the 32GB models are gone. All they have is 16GB. I couldn't leave empty handed so I grabbed a 16GB. I'll have to decide over the weekend whether or not it'll do or if I want to take it back and get a 32GB. My Note 8.0 is 16GB and I never gave it a 2nd thought...we shall see.

Last edited:

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
So I get to Best Buy bright and early this morning. For some reason, I didn't pre-order (don't ask my why). All the 32GB models are gone. All they have is 16GB. I couldn't leave empty handed so I grabbed a 16GB. I'll have to decide over the weekend whether or not it'll do or if I want to take it back and get a 32GB. My Note 8.0 is 16GB and I never gave it a 2nd thought...we shall see.

Thanks for this. I was gonna chance it and go after work but you prompted me to call and they are holding a black 32GB at my local BB.

much appreciated.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm jelly. I think next week I might try to go get a 32GB. I will say this. The screen on this thing is GORGEOUS. This is a beautiful tablet.

Sent from my 2014 Note 10.1

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a black 32GB model this morning as well and just started setting it up about an hour ago. Agree regarding the display, very crisp and bright--love how Samsung still includes the option to adjust the color dynamic. The form factor is very impress--much lighter than my wife's iPad 3 and far more comfortable to hold. The new faux leather back panel is infinitely more attractive and offers a nice soft touch.

Still wading through all of Samsung's settings to configure all their added bloa...er, I mean features ;), trying to remember some of the tricks from my Note days, i.e. deactivating S-voice with double click of home button and replacing it with Google Now (any help appreciated with this one--figuted out the first part, not yet the second). Also wish the S-Pen was a touch bigger but that can't be helped considering how thin the device is.

I'll post a more detailed impression after a few days of use.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you notice any of the lag that so many reviewers have been talking about?

Posted via Android Central App

Haven't done too much with it yet, mostly browsing and changing settings. A lot of the complaints regarding lag involved My Magazine and I can confirm they are valid. I only used it for a few minutes and the lag navigating from page to page is very noticeable and quite frankly, terrible. It's a shame too because I'm a fan of both Flipboard and Blinkfeed and this has a lot of potential, just a poor execution, IMO. Otherwise, everything else seems fairly smooth, save for the occasional lag when scrolling in Chrome, I see that problem in Chrome on all of my Android devices. The handwriting tool integrated with the keyboard is pretty cool--wrote this post using it.

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Haven't done too much with it yet, mostly browsing and changing settings. A lot of the complaints regarding lag involved My Magazine and I can confirm they are valid. I only used it for a few minutes and the lag navigating from page to page is very noticeable and quite frankly, terrible. It's a shame too because I'm a fan of both Flipboard and Blinkfeed and this has a lot of potential, just a poor execution, IMO. Otherwise, everything else seems fairly smooth, save for the occasional lag when scrolling in Chrome, I see that problem in Chrome on all of my Android devices. The handwriting tool integrated with the keyboard is pretty cool--wrote this post using it.

I bailed on driving to Best Buy last night to pick mine up because of comments like this. I feel like at this point paying $600 for a tablet there shouldn't be "slight lag" out of the box. So as much as it's killing me I'm gonna wait til I can get my hands on one and if the lag bothers me I'll wait to see if the new Nexus 10 gets announced next week or what the next iPad has in store. I'd be happy with the '14 SGN without the SPen and touchwiz features if you took those away and the tablet ended up performing like the specs would lead you to think it would perform.

I suspect the Nexus 10 will be my compromise because I really like the idea of the micro sd card slot to expand memory which isn't available on Nexus tablets.
Maybe I'll go to Best Buy, fool around with one and not notice the lag at all anyway. we will see.

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza