Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 - CASE (Discussion & Reviews)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
For construction sites, you might also think of a good screen protector.

(I still can't seem to find a good tempered glass protector for the 2014 from most manufacturers, but I think Spigen has a relatively pricey one.)

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
What I mean by rugged is something along the lines of Gumdrop or Otterbox. Anyone know of any manufacturer making something that can be used at construction sites? I need 32 immediately.

Very sadly, NO. I had mine in a Poetic case (one of the few case options for the 2014 edition) and had a very, very soft drop and the screen completely shattered. I've only had it a month. I've had lots of other tablets, cell phones, laptops, etc and I'm extremely careful with my equipment. I'm devastated and disappointed with the delicate screen of this $500+ tablet. If I knew then what I know now (I.e., flimsy screen, no otterbox case available), I wouldn't have bought the 2014 edition.

Posted via Android Central App

lizcardenas

Banned
Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Just letting everyone know their are now rugged cases for the 10.1 2014 and tempered glass screen protectors both are on ebay. May I also suggest to the person wanting them for a construction job site to buy a tempered glass screen protector. Hope this helps. (Unfortunately these rugged cases are not otterbox though. Otterbox has no plans to make one for this tablet)

aelaan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just letting everyone know their are now rugged cases for the 10.1 2014 and tempered glass screen protectors both are on ebay. May I also suggest to the person wanting them for a construction job site to buy a tempered glass screen protector. Hope this helps. (Unfortunately these rugged cases are not otterbox though. Otterbox has no plans to make one for this tablet)
It took me 4ever to find the right combination, got my screen Ghost Armored and finally found the right case http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FCU6NWM?tag=hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3486051 - technically we should expect many more cases since the TabPro came out yesterday and has the same specs as the note 10.1 2014. What I simply do not get is that in all of the quad cities where I live there is not one store actually carrying cases under 70 bucks, like... really?

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
After searching the dark depths of the internet I finally found a tough rugged case. The only flaw is that the case cannot stand on its own.
Trident Case - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Found it cheaper on amazon Amazon.com: Trident Case Kraken AMS Series Case for Samsung Galaxy Note10: Computers & Accessories

That Amazon link is for last year's version of the Galaxy Note 10... our tablet is not the same size and it would not fit properly. Always make sure it mentions "2014 Edition" when shopping for accessories.

aka10

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
No, you are incorrect it is for the 2014 edition. Trident did not make a case for last year's version. If you examine the pictures that is clearly a 2014 edition, the camera slot is a dead give away. You can also compare it to the one on Trident's website, they are identical.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
No, you are incorrect it is for the 2014 edition. Trident did not make a case for last year's version. If you examine the pictures that is clearly a 2014 edition, the camera slot is a dead give away. You can also compare it to the one on Trident's website, they are identical.

My apologies. Most cases specify 2014 in their description. Further down on that listing, in the Questions & Answers section, look at how the vendor answers. That spurred me to reply as a warning to others. Trident.jpg

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link Rickgsx, I wasnt familiar with the Poetic cases but they are quite nice!! The slimline case looks very similar to the Samsung model for 1/3 of the cost! Thanks again.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I got Poetic Slimeline case and less than 2 months. Bottom right corner dont secure the tab in place the case anylonger, little touch and the tab will fall out. Putting the tab on a table, will also make the tab fall out of the case easily and quite annoying.

Now I want find a new case, that protect the tab also on the side and with cutouts for the speakers and microsd/SIM slots (SM-P605). Is there any case that have it? Been looking around Ebay and most dont have sides protected.

I do like Poetic case, the magnetic isnt too strong enough to cause any problem, but dont want to buy same case again and same problem occur again.

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I got Poetic Slimeline case and less than 2 months. Bottom right corner dont secure the tab in place the case anylonger, little touch and the tab will fall out. Putting the tab on a table, will also make the tab fall out of the case easily and quite annoying.

Now I want find a new case, that protect the tab also on the side and with cutouts for the speakers and microsd/SIM slots (SM-P605). Is there any case that have it? Been looking around Ebay and most dont have sides protected.

I do like Poetic case, the magnetic isnt too strong enough to cause any problem, but dont want to buy same case again and same problem occur again.

This has side protection, but no cut out for micro sd /sim card.

Wholesale IMUCA Original Tablet PC Cases For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition P600 P601 Leather Case Ultra Thin Smartcover Free Shipping, Free shipping, $27.46/Piece | DHgate Mobile

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I have the rooCase Origami Slim Shell case. I love it. It's very slim and uses magnets to allow you to stand the tablet up vertically or in landscape mode. I'm not sure if it has as much protection as you'd like. Here's a link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Samsung-Galaxy-10-1-Note/dp/B00FPT4Q06/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1394214122&sr=1-3&keywords=roocase+galaxy+note+10.1+2014

I had a rooCase for another device a few years ago. It held up well, too. I don't have this particular case, but maybe it's closer to what you've looking for: http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Samsung-Galaxy-10-1-Note/dp/B00FQ1MW7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394214847&sr=1-1&keywords=roocase+galaxy+note+10.1+2014

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Did read about roocase, since I couldnt find any suitable case with protections all around the sides too and was going to order it. But Amazon.uk seller gonna send me new replacement Poetic case and think Im gonna stick with Poetic for a while. I do like Poetic Slimline case, just the corners that holding the tab in place is kinda bad construction.
Reason I want side protection too, is it looks more stabil to secure the tab inside the case and not like Poetic, roocase, Moko etc that have only small "snap on" at corners to hold the tab in place.

tsweeney77

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the Trident Kraken A.M.S. cases for a few years now with my Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3,ipad 4th Gen, and now for the Note 10.1 (2014). With a toddler at home, I swear by this case. He has whipped my ipad across the room and even dropped it on the concrete. Not even a scratch or dent on the case or tablet. I don't need a physical keyboard and I abuse my phones and tablets, so this case works perfectly for my needs.
There is two things I don't like for my Note 10.1 (2014). First, it sucks major A$$ installing this case. It literally took me an hour trying to get it on. The silicone piece wouldn't work with me. Secondly, the touchscreen isn't as responsive as my previous phone/tablets. You need to press a little harder with this edition.
Overall, I like these cases over the Otterboxes and others.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you just got a bad one John. I've not read of anyone else with that problem or any issues with the Poetic. I'm sure it's under some kind of warranty. Either where you bought it or the manufacturer themselves.
Monica

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the Trident KRAKEN case with the optional handle/stand and it should be here tomorrow. I needed a rugged case because I use my tablet at my warehouse as well as outdoors (shoot coaching videos for the high school track program I coach for). I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get some time with the case.

I like the case. It's sturdy but a little difficult to put together - it took a bit of wiggling to get the power and volume rocker buttons to fit through the holes. I'd say it took me about 10 min to finish getting it all together. The screen protector is as I expected - a little shiny so there is some glare - but it's responsive to touch. The pen is a little sensitive but works well. It's a little "sticky" so your handwriting needs to be a little deliberate. I am guessing that over time it will calm down and the pen might glide easier. The speaker ports work great and don't hamper the sound at all. Trident says the case is water resistant - like when you get caught in the rain. Could be true because each of the ports have rubber flaps that cover the open ports. The one thing I don't like about those ports is that they don't seal shut by snapping into a locking position.

I also purchased the stand. I like the design and not only does it stand the tablet up in multiple modes (it rotates around so it can stand the tablet on all 4 sides) but it can be used to hang it from the wall or a door knob and it can act as a hand hold. It can be easily removed from the case.

Overall, I like it and will hold out hope that the screen calms down so the pen glides more smoothly.

2014-04-01 09.41.01.jpg
2014-04-01 09.41.14.jpg

Last edited:

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My tablet falls out of the poetic case all the time. Definitely more of a case for convenience than protection. It doesn't project worth a crap.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My tablet falls out of the poetic case all the time. Definitely more of a case for convenience than protection. It doesn't project worth a crap.

Did it fall out of the case from the beginning? I've had my case for about 3 months and haven't had that trouble yet. I was wondering if it's something that tends to happen with wear.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Had mine for months now, too, no problems like that. It is easy to pull off, to be sure.

It's not an impact resistance case. It's a flip cover intended to provide some basic screen protection from scratches and what not, plus act as a stand. That's all. Expectations must be in line with what it is intended to do. There are other types of cases. Some of them may not work so well with the smart cover feature I've come to like, though.

I could never use a case like the one I'm using on my tablet on my phone. It's a different issue--the phone is in and out of my pocket with 1 hand use all the time. The likelihood of dropping it at some point is, well, 100%. :) If I get a Note 4 this Fall (likely), I will very much be inclined to sacrifice the lightweight and convenient flip cover type case for something sturdier like an Otterbox. Can't take the chance. It's different with my tablet.