Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Playing large video files on the SGN

I have a question concerning playing large video files. I've read that this tablet (or any Android tablet for that matter) will not play videos larger than 4GB in size. Is this correct?

If so, would this condition hold true for streaming movies from my wifi hard drive?

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Playing large video files on the SGN

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Ray View Post
    I have a question concerning playing large video files. I've read that this tablet (or any Android tablet for that matter) will not play videos larger than 4GB in size. Is this correct?

If so, would this condition hold true for streaming movies from my wifi hard drive?
    Playing large files (>4GB) isn't the problem, it's transferring files that large that's a bit more difficult. I'm sure someone else with a more technical understand can explain in more detail but in simplest terms, you cannot natively transfer files >4GB via USB--I believe it has something to do with FAT32 formatting. I tried it myself using my Nexus 7 (2013) and confirmed that Android File Transfer would not let me move a 7GB file to my device via USB. Did a little research and there are a variety of workarounds, some more technical/involved than others. The simplest solution appears to be to format your microSD card using exFAT (vs. default FAT32), which allows files up to 16GB in size, transfer the files directly to the card from your computer, and insert the card into your Android device. I'm not sure if this is viable using both Windows PCs or Macs, will investigate further once I have my Note 10.1. Obviously though this is not an option for devices with only internal storage. I also was able to transfer large file movies to my Nexus 7 (one 7GB, another over 8GB) via Wifi using AirDroid and iSyncr.

While iTunes can often be a noose around one's neck, it does make moving video files to an iDevice far simpler than the hoops one has to jump through getting the same files onto an Android device.

The explanation was quite close.

While Android uses a Linux-Filesystem that allows files greater than 4GB, it offers FAT32 if connected to a Windows PC. FAT32 is also used for SD-Cards for the same reason.
    You can change this but need root - access and Windows won't access the data without further tools.

So the transmission via USB is not the problem, but storing it on the device is.

Nonetheless: If you access your file from your android device (or use streaming) this is NO issue at all. And: It is not a Notes-specific behaviour.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks to both of you for the detailed responses. Very helpful information.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Albers View Post
    The explanation was quite close.

While Android uses a Linux-Filesystem that allows files greater than 4GB, it offers FAT32 if connected to a Windows PC. FAT32 is also used for SD-Cards for the same reason.
    You can change this but need root - access and Windows won't access the data without further tools.

So the transmission via USB is not the problem, but storing it on the device is.

Nonetheless: If you access your file from your android device (or use streaming) this is NO issue at all. And: It is not a Notes-specific behaviour.
    Thanks for the clarification. Related question--I attempted to transfer from a Mac to my Nexus 7 via USB and encountered the same problem. Is the FAT32 limitation Windows specific or does or also apply to Macs?