How laggy is the SGN 10.1?

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading a bunch of reviews on this tablet because I really want to purchase it, but one thing that still haunts me from when I previously had a Samsung device is how laggy it was. I've read in a couple of reviews how the new Note 10.1 seems to be laggy out of the box and this really freaks me out. I'm fine with it being a little laggy after a couple of months, but right out of the box is just crazy to me. I'm just really upset about this because I've been waiting for a while to get a new tablet and this one seemed so great with the S-Pen and all the great built in functions, but I really really REALLY hate lag. I plan on using it for school and if it lags on me and crashes while I'm taking notes, I'm gonna be pissed. If I don't get the SGN 10.1 then I'd get the new iPad, but that would make me kind of sad because I would be really missing out on all the S-Pen features.

TL;DR: Is the Note 10.1 really as laggy as people have been saying? Should I be worried?

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have it since last week, very little lag. And no lag when using Nova. For me it was slow at the beginning because it was scanning hundreds of files on SD card for S Find, had been great since. It will become better when we can root and remove unnecessary Samsung services.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a week as well thanks to Tiger Direct and I'm also using Nova launcher with no lag whatsoever! This thing is faster, lighter, and sharper than my last year's Note 10.1 and it's very noticeable!

Sometimes a new and improved comes out and it's kind of hard to really see a big difference but not this time.

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This tablet flies the reviewers are just nit picking. The vertical sync is off sometimes which makes it look a little stuttery but I have owned the s2 s3 and s4 and used all the other tablets.... This is by far the best tablet samsung has made and for me the best tablet in the market. You won't be disappointed!

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Only noticed a slight bit of lag while setting up accounts etc. Now very smooth 12 hours into owning it. Looks like i can finally hand down the retina ipad, which is laggy with iOS7. This tablet, in my opinion is a worthy replacement to the ipad. Have had the tab2, note 10.1, still use daily note8.0, and this is the best by far.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Only noticed a slight bit of lag while setting up accounts etc. Now very smooth 12 hours into owning it. Looks like i can finally hand down the retina ipad, which is laggy with iOS7. This tablet, in my opinion is a worthy replacement to the ipad. Have had the tab2, note 10.1, still use daily note8.0, and this is the best by far.

Finally!!! I've been waiting for someone to say that :) I'm soooo frustrated by iOS and how restrictive and dumb it all is when compared to Android, but in terms of tablet power and content there hadn't been any true competition. So, Hehehe It looks like this might be my next purchase then... I was waiting to see how the next Transformer turned out, but it's just taking soooo long to release any info and my inner geek (OK, I'm a geek all around) wants a new tablet now :) hehe

Hey, guys... now that you have the tablet, can you confirm if the US version comes with an Exynos processor or Qualcomm's? I've read mixed statements and to make things worse, BestBuy's specs don't even mention it, but Amazon's do (Exynos). So, I'm a bit confused.

Also, according to Android Central's review, they saw 'lag' when they let the tablet do all the app installing upon first set up. They said that they did a factory reset and chose to install each app manually (instead of letting Google Play download everything associated with your account) and that the lag disappeared. I'm also wondering if it's true about the Gallery; some reviews say that it took almost a minute to load! :S

Last edited:

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Finally!!! I've been waiting for someone to say that :) I'm soooo frustrated by iOS and how restrictive and dumb it all is when compared to Android, but in terms of tablet power and content there hadn't been any true competition. So, Hehehe It looks like this might be my next purchase then... I was waiting to see how the next Transformer turned out, but it's just taking soooo long to release any info and my inner geek (OK, I'm a geek all around) wants a new tablet now :) hehe

Hey, guys... now that you have the tablet, can you confirm if the US version comes with an Exynos processor or Qualcomm's? I've read mixed statements and to make things worse, BestBuy's specs don't even mention it, but Amazon's do (Exynos). So, I'm a bit confused.

Also, according to Android Central's review, they saw 'lag' when they let the tablet do all the app installing upon first set up. They said that they did a factory reset and chose to install each app manually (instead of letting Google Play download everything associated with your account) and that the lag disappeared. I'm also wondering if it's true about the Gallery; some reviews say that it took almost a minute to load! :S

I've only had it for about a day now and while for the most part is very quick, it is not without lag. While I've seen occasional hiccups througbout all apps, it's very pronounced in My Magazine and the Gallery. My Magazine lags terribly when navigating within, no getting around it. Thankfully you don't have to use it, but unfortunately you also cannot disable it so whatever resources it uses will persist.

Gallery didn't take minutes to open as some have stated, but the lag was awful, as in I would select an album and it would finally open 10-15 seconds later, if at all. Gallery crashed and 'stopped working' the first two times I tried using it. I have tried using it again and it does seem to be improving--probably needs to build up a bit of a cache. Regardless, it's something I'll be monitoring.

Also, similar to my previous experiences with Samsung devices and from accounts I enjoy read online, it's a good this they've included 3GB of RAM as I've been hovering between 1.8-2.3 used without doing any heavy lifting. I'm running NOVA launcher and while it doesn't lag in use, checking cached processes shows it gobbling up about 250MB of RAM, FWIW.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm enjoying the 10.1 very much so far. Just want to be clear though that it doesn't appear to be without its little flaws.

Last edited:

Joey_C

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've only had it for about a day now and while for the most part is very quick, it is not without lag. While I've seen occasional hiccups througbout all apps, it's very pronounced in My Magazine and the Gallery. My Magazine lags terribly when navigating within, no getting around it. Thankfully you don't have to use it, but unfortunately you also cannot disable it so whatever resources it uses will persist.

Gallery didn't take minutes to open as some have stated, but the lag was awful, as in I would select an album and it would finally open 10-15 seconds later, if at all. Gallery crashed and 'stopped working' the first two times I tried using it. I have tried using it again and it does seem to be improving--probably needs to build up a bit of a cache. Regardless, it's something I'll be monitoring.

Also, similar to my previous experiences with Samsung devices and from accounts I enjoy read online, it's a good this they've included 3rd of RAM as I've been hovering between 1.8-2.3 used without doing any heavy lifting. I'm running NOVA launcher and while it doesn't lag in use, checking cached processes shows it gobbling up about 20 B of RAM, FWIW.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm enjoying the 10.1 very much so far. Just want to be clear though that it doesn't appear to be without its little flaws.

Yeah, this is pretty much unacceptable for me at $600. Thanks so much for your honest assessment.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that this thing caches and indexes and scans your images for text and notes... The first couple of days it may show signs of lag because of it, depending on how much data you're storing in the SD card.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Also remember that this thing caches and indexes and scans your images for text and notes... The first couple of days it may show signs of lag because of it, depending on how much data you're storing in the SD card.

Well, I haven't even used an SD card yet, still awaiting delivery from Amazon.

And should have previously qualified by Gallery experience that the only photos being displayed so far are from cloud based sources (Dropbox, Picasa) so that can certainly account for some of the initial lag. That being said, it's still not snappy and Gallery stopped responding agsin, this time while I wasn't even using the app but rather, Web browsing.

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have it since last week, very little lag. And no lag when using Nova. For me it was slow at the beginning because it was scanning hundreds of files on SD card for S Find, had been great since. It will become better when we can root and remove unnecessary Samsung services.

when using Nova (or any other launcher), do you lose the S Pen launching functionality, multi window, etc?

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
great, thanks! so, retain all the existing functionality but smoother / less lag.

I didn't really notice any lag navigating the TouchWiz home screens, and that's all NOVA, or any launcher for that matter, replaces. And as I previously mentioned, NOVA's cache uses a pretty good chunk of RAM (about 250MB in my case) so it actually may inadvertently cause lag elsewhere if you're bumping up against the RAM limit (not sure and I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than I could clarify). I just personally hate the look of TouchWiz and love the added customization NOVA brings--use it on all of my Android devices.

Only thing lost is S Calendar widget, don't see it with Nova. Everything else is the same.

Yeah, generally you lose that ability to utilize any of the OEM's native widgets in a launcher so any Samsung TouchWiz specific widgets won't be accessible in NOVA. Same goes for HTC Sense widgets on a HTC One, etc.

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I would like to ad.....if you like the Amazon app and Craigslist app, which I use quite more than I realized on the ipad.....Amazon doesnt have a widget on this note10.1 for some reason. The CL app on any androud is junk at best. Very disappointed with CL for Android. Anyway, this isnt a ipad comparo, just an fyi if you like those things. Love the note so far.

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
No lag here. Using nova, but used Touchwiz yesterday with no lag as well.

-g-

almost seems like the reviewers on the various tech sites didn't let the tablets settle down? seems like a lot of slightly negative reviews out there, mainly about price and lag. but seems like lag isn't really a problem.

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There's a slight lag but not enough to detract me from all the useful features this tablet offers compared to the rest on sale or in production. No buyers remorse here.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
There's a slight lag but not enough to detract me from all the useful features this tablet offers compared to the rest on sale or in production. No buyers remorse here.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

This. Either the review units were bad or not on the update because mine is smooth. Fer few hiccups but I feel some of the reviews blew it way out of proportion. The My Magazine app is laggy...that's about it for me..Some reviewers decided to focus all on that app for some reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nephalem42