Can the 2014 Note 10.1 replace a paper notebook?

MisterMe11

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if it can. I still use paper notebooks regularly at work. I write normally write somewhere between 3 to 10 pages of notes / ideas / plans daily with the occasional simple equation or diagram

I'd like to be able to 'digitize' the notes. Some I would need to convert to digital text, and some could stay as hand-written (and some I wouldn't need to keep at all, which is a benefit over a paper notebook)

My hand-writing is fairly messy but I've played around with the Note 3 in the store and I think it is better at reading my writing than I am! :D

I'm considering the Note 3 as my phone. If I get one I can start using the s-pen functionality (to replace post-it notes and scrap peices of paper) and see if expanding that out to a 10 inch screen could potentially replace my trusty paper notebooks.

Hopefully the software is good enough to help me organize all these notes - by topic and date

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you can, but this is less dependent on the choice of hardware. Whether you get an ipad or this device, I'm sure you can.

Having said that (and currently having an ipad), the note 10.1 looks really ideal for this. The integration of the s pen will really help.

I would also recommend you look closely at a platform independent note taking software. I use Evernote which is arguable best in breed for notes.

I am looking forward to moving from the ipad to the note 10.1, mainly for multi tasking and s pen integration.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It is my goal to do the exact same thing, to take all of my business notes on a device and not on paper anymore. I started trying this clear back at the first generation iPad that was issued by my company to me. That was an experience that I was not satisfied with. I disagree with the previous comment that this quest is not hardware related. I think that the device must have a digitizer in it to really accomplish this goal. From the iPad I went to the galaxy note 2. I plan to sell that phone as soon as the Nexus 5 comes out. For my particular use and preference the S Pen in the note 2 is a gimmick. It is not useful for productive note taking. The biggest issue is the limited screen area and the constant need to scroll the page in order to write notes on the equivalent of a normal sized sheet of paper. The other issue with the note 2 is that there is not a natural place to rest your hand and write like you do in a normal pad of paper.

I now have the new note 10.1 and have successfully taken about 5 handwritten pages of notes in 3 different meetings. This is without a doubt the solution for me. I settled on the app called lecture notes and I do not regret that decision at all. It is a great app for my purposes. I created a note template that uses my company logo and mimics the look of our standard handwrite pads. Even on the note 10.1 there is a small amount of scrolling needed to write on a normal sheet of paper. Lecture notes though allows you to zoom out on a normal sheet of paper so that it fills the screen. The only downside to this is that you can't write as finite as you could if you were at a one to one ratio. I choose to run at a one to one ratio and deal with a little bit of scrolling to fill the bottom part of a normal sheet of paper. I find the handwriting to be very natural and the tablet size is good for naturally resting your hand whether you are flat on a desk or leaning back in your chair and holding it on your lap. Of course when using the S Pen, unlike the iPad, there is a setting in lecture notes that marks on the paper will only come from the S Pen so your palm and fingers will have no impact.

Ideally, I would wait for the 12.2 version of the note that is rumored but I simply could not wait any longer for a solution. The only advantage to 12.2 will be able to show a full size sheet of paper at a one to one ratio. Other than that, this new 10.1 gets the job done for me.

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Note taking with the snote is the primary reason I chose GN10 2014 over nexus 10 or any other tablet out there. Snote is working well for me. I am really happy with it. However, I am still evaluating lecturenote, it is a very nice app as well. I think the hand wring is quicker then snote. I wish I had this device back in my school day. My son who is in college now told me, many kids are now with tablet to take note and etextbook. They only bring tablet to the class, nothing else. I want to get one for my son, but I want him to experience the good old note taking method, maybe much later I will.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Been a LectureNotes user for over a year now. I can only see myself using SNotes for handwritten stickies.

So much versatility in LectureNotes and the developer is helpful n quick to respond. His app page on XDA has over 600 posts on which he responds quite often.

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

boltor

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with the previous comment that this quest is not hardware related. I think that the device must have a digitizer in it to really accomplish this goal

yes, I see your point. I guess that my experience has been that you can successfully take notes with just a keyboard, and no digitiser (on my iPad with Evernote). Having said that, I am certainly looking forward to a stylus based way of taking notes. From all reports, the 10.1 (2014) does this really well.

I just hope that the snote --> Evernote sync works well

Steve F1

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had one for 2 days now and have used S note enough to see that it does a good job. It is easy to convert your script to text but you have to be pretty careful about lines and spacing.
Coming from an Acer A500 which was a good tablet for its time to the new Note 2014 is like upgrading from a Chevy to a Cadillac. Amazon is offering a $50 gift card with one right now. That is why I went ahead and got it right away.

The speed really helps. My wife has the original Note 10.1 and it requires much more care in writing with the stylus so you don't get ahead of it. This new one is fast enough to keep up. Also the screen is wonderful and reading is much easier with the higher resolution.

I'll have to give LectureNote a try as it sounds interesting.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Been a LectureNotes user for over a year now. I can only see myself using SNotes for handwritten stickies.

So much versatility in LectureNotes and the developer is helpful n quick to respond. His app page on XDA has over 600 posts on which he responds quite often.

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

Do you have a link to the relevant LectureNotes page on XDA? I can't seem to find it.

th3th3ory

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been using SNote for business notes for about a week; yesterday I ran into an issue with using SNote.
I exported one of my notes to a pdf, when I opened the pdf I realized that only part of my notes were there. It appears that when writing notes, using text to type, SNotes does that automatically go to the next page it just continues going down. Not a problem until you want to export it. I wanted to use text to type so that I could export to pdf and have a "searchable" document across all of my documents. Sounds like I should check out Lecture Notes.

sperho

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been handwriting notes (hundreds of pages so far) on a tablet exclusively for about 2.5 years. On an iPad 2 with a fat stylus. When I bought the iPad, there just weren't enough quality Android apps available for tablets (let alone quality tablets), but that's no longer the case. I picked up a 2014 10.1 a week ago and have finally found the Android tablet that I can love. I use Lecture Notes for notetaking and it's totally fits the bill. Android plus active digitizer = awesome.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the original Note 10.1 for grad school for a year now and it is perfect for taking notes. Plus the multi screen really comes in handy for reading and taking notes in class or when doing research. I'm waiting for a good deal on the new model and I plan to pick one up.

petestl

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I like OneNote myself, since we use all Microsoft Office stuff at work. The Android app works pretty well on the Note 2014 and I like that I can sync across all my devices. I'm now paperless and more organized.

Posted via Android Central App

Torque

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This was my first tablet and it has completely replaced paper. l've been handwriting on it about 6 hrs a day since I've gotten it 4 days ago. l specifically chose this tablet for it's hand writing function throughout the OS not just school and clinical notes (due to a hand injury/ multiple surgeries / daily therapy ) am now able to write again but not type with my dominant hand So an integral stylus was my #1 priority. l have been getting familiar with S note and then l will compare Lecture Notes and Ever note. So far S note has met my needs, the only "hindrance" I dealt with is some of my files are huge and importing these sized files can take 10 min and you cant use s note during this time (always do BEFORE class/meetings!) I'd have been interested in the 12.2 but it wouldn't have been practical in my situation as far as portable both to class / labs and around farms & on clinics and patient-side (when you work around pesky goats & horses etc you don't leave anything sitting around, its gotta stay on your person!) Anyway l'm 100% landscape and find screen size and writing natural and non fatiguing. l'm interested in doing a full comparison bw the 3 and will report back if I can be helpful

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Lecture notes is bad.

Posted via Android Central App

Just like that? Care to explain what's bad? Developer is one of best, always responding to posts, updating the app frequently. Constructive criticism is good, "LN is bad" is useless.

l have no relationship to app nor to developer.

skramer49

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
"but I want him to experience the good old note taking method" - That's like a surgeon saying she'll start taking your appendix out without anesthesia so you can experience the good old surgical method, before putting you to sleep. Why make it tough for your son. Keeping up with info overload is tough enough without learning the hard way!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey