Reboot loop

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else had their Note go into a reboot loop?
I bought mine in Saturday and spent all day playing with it, installing apps, trying to configure it, etc . Once Sunday came, I decided to put it down for a bit and let the battery charge without it being used. I turned it off when I did this.
Once I went to turn it back on, it went into a reboot loop for about 5 minutes before it finally came on. I was actually looking online to see how to do a factory reset when it finally started all the way.
In kind of curious, and a little scared to turn it off again in case the loop doesn't end.
Just checking out there to see if anyone else had anything like this happen to them.
By the way, I upgraded to the Note 10.1 from my old trusty Motorola Xoom.... Loving this thing so far... :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Yup, mine did the same thing but got all the way up to showing the lockscreen wallpaper before rebooting but it was clear that it wasn't going to stop the reboot cycle. I exchanged it at Best Buy. So far so good on the new one.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Well - after 5 days and re-installing all of my apps on my new (exchanged) Note I got the boot loop thing again. I had to do a complete reset to stop it. I'm not messing around anymore with it -- too much time invested in this already. So, back it goes to Best Buy tonight. I'll continue to monitor the topic and if Samsung releases a fix for this issue I'll probably purchase again. Third times a charm, right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So this goes into a boot loop after a certain number of app installs? That used to happen to BlackBerries oO I never thought I'd see an issue like that in modern tech... shame on you, Sammy... shame on you... ??'

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone still going through this or is there any fix, I've tried the link, did a factory reset 4 times, reloaded some apps, rebooted, sometimes it loops, sometimes it does not, one I have everything on it loops. I am simply setting it up just like my Note 10.1 (Non 2014) and have not even ran any apps as I can never get it set up totally.

I am using Nova launcher, thought I don't switch to Nova over stock till the very end of loading the apps.

I've sent it back for an exchange, I'm starting to think being an early adopter was a bad idea.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got brave and went back to Best Buy to try a 4th (yes -- 4th) tablet. The first 2 boot looped and the third had an S-pen that didn't seat properly and was constantly slipping out far enough to make the tablet think the pen was detached. So far I have had no boot looping with tablet #4. I did turn off the search for wi-fi option as suggested in a previous post right from the get go and I installed Nova Launcher before installing any of my other apps. So far (after about 5 days) everything is great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I really do want to like this tablet.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I got brave and went back to Best Buy to try a 4th (yes -- 4th) tablet. The first 2 boot looped and the third had an S-pen that didn't seat properly and was constantly slipping out far enough to make the tablet think the pen was detached. So far I have had no boot looping with tablet #4. I did turn off the search for wi-fi option as suggested in a previous post right from the get go and I installed Nova Launcher before installing any of my other apps. So far (after about 5 days) everything is great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I really do want to like this tablet.

Thanks,

So Nova first, was going to do that last.

Did you do a restore from your account or manually add your purchases? I'm thinking all system updates first. (the restore seems to time out often and I have to pick the apps that failed and tell them to install. Oddly my Note 8, Two Note 7.0 2's and my 10.1 Note (non 2014) were fine on the auto full restore, not sure why this one times out over and over (four times reset, times out every few hours on restore and takes a full day)

Also, Have you rebooted the new one. Everything was going fine the other night till I rebooted it just to test the cycle. Sooner or latter I will have to reboot it or the system will to install and update and I really don't want to have to set everything up again. It's getting old.

If this one does not work I think I will send it back and give it six months, was one bad, even worse I have two cases and a screen protector and I don't want to eat those costs.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I let the google apps download and update then did the 2 system updates. Next I installed nova and then manually did my apps. I don't think this is necessarily a magic formula but its been working so far. I think turning that wifi option off was what did it. I have shut it down and powered it back up several times so fsr with no problems. That is when I usually got caught in thst boot loop from which there was no escape.

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 had the problem too, but I never got it again after I did the WiFi adjustment seen on the XDA thread:

-Go to System Settings / WIFI
-Press the Menu soft key and select Advanced
-Uncheck "Always Allow Scanning"
-Go back and Power Off the Note, then turn it back on.

I haven't seen it yet on the Note 10.1

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Maynard, ZarathustraHead and dafuse
Shall turn off wifi scan and remove the memory card, only did that on try number 4 and did both hours into the setup, shall do both firs thing.
PS: Maynard, Thanks for all the help, I know the order may not be the whole key but hey, it worked for you so might as well be a beta tester to help others, will report back when I get the unit and start this weekend.
I expect the real fix with be an update but till then perhaps if this works we have the groundwork for a workaround, seems wifi scan and the memory card are likely an issue.

Will report back later.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
REPORT:

Second one, had it two weeks, everything was great after hours of setup, properly ejected the SD card to put a book on it, put it back in, endless reboot loop, (and did not install the screen saver till a few days ago just to make sure I did not waste it).

Called Samsung, It's a known issue, they suggested a wipe, I did that with my last tablet (Note 2014) 4 times in the first week I got it due to the loop, now this one is doing it, It seems memory card related though I am using the class 10 they recommend and it is the exact same setup and programs and card type as my other old note ( 10.1 non 2014) other than a few programs that are not compatible with the newer Android 2014 OS.

I think I am giving up, it takes me about 8 hours to fully set up a new one due to accounts and passwords on endless programs and setting up pulse and so forth the way I want it. I'm not doing this every few weeks.

My Old Note 10.1 (non 2014) my Note 8 and two Tab 7's have never done this ever, though a fluke once a year would not bother me, this is now 2 Note 2014's and 5 times setting them up. I give up, it's clearly a firmware issue and I am a Beta tester.

This thing is not ready for prime time or quality control must be horrible.

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Update,

On my third, Samsung said a update is coming in a few weeks to fix the known problem, the problem is sometimes it glitches and thinks the memory card is the main memory and tries to boot from the card, removing the the card after the loop does not stop the loop for me, since I have 11 cards loaded with books and movies I swap them often. This seems to increase the odds of the loop as it often happened after a card insert. Have not put a card in this one yet, I can wait a few weeks though I hope the update shows on time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
It really looks like you have a different issue. I have never seen this. Having said that, I am beginning to think that the tablet has an issue with the card reader. Mine keeps spontaneously ejecting, without any reason. Just tells me that the sd card has been unexpectedly removed, then re-mounts it 10 minutes later. Driving me nuts, so I factory reset the unit. I was also having serious performance issues. That seems to be better since the reset. I haven't tried an sd card yet.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

msani

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I just bought this Note 10.1 (2014 edition) this morning. Have the same problem with you guys, search the internet with hope, I got many friends in fate instead...

I've tried the uncheck "Scanning always available" solution, it doesn't solve the reboot loop. And I never put any SD Card, I don't think it's the issue. As I observe, the freezing screen (before restarting) happens when it has heavy work loads (well it isn't that heavy actually, just installing several apps for example).

Disappointed with Samsung :-(

Last edited:

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The trigger is acoording to Samsung, if u can get someone to talk about it is the handling of the memory card, it sometimes thonks the OS is on the card.

For some taking it out is sort of a fix, for some they never had one in but it still thinks it needs to adress the os on the card that never was. I have been through three units and five loops on the first two, (and factory resets) on the last loop and reset a card never touched it

The card statement was from Samsung, though they said a update ould be out to fix it in two weeks, its been over three weeks.

On my third one no loop yet, When I did set it up it started auto restoring, I stopped each program from installing as fast as I could, then took the first firmware update, rebooted, took the second, rebooted and so far so good. Not thar I claim to be on to something here, my second one worked perfect for a month then looped.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app