What's so bad about buying products when they first come out?

naivetiu

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I always hear people saying not to buy one of the first few batches when a product comes out. Is this a legitimate concern or should I not worry? The 10.1 just came out in Canada and I am very eager to purchase it but I don't know if I should wait a bit longer!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The batch arriving in Canada would be, by no means, 'a first batch'. While it's only just releasing there, it's been out elsewhere for a few weeks now. The concern is, to a certain extent, legitimate. First articles are always subject to more production flaws because production lines are just 'learning' how to process the new product. I'm in Product R&D and this is a common issue, it's only up to the companies to decide how much time they spend on full inspection on the first production batches. In the case of electronics, there's so much that can go wrong that not every single device can be tested for every single piece and bit. These issues are commonly ironed out as production rolls out and gets better with time.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Most OEM have strict QC processes. Many prototypes are punched before production. Rarely does a company shoot off batches to the public to test then modify the product. That said, crappy products are crappy products.

Most companies don't want to admit their early launch products were inferior, so the strict pre production process is in place for most.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The batch arriving in Canada would be, by no means, 'a first batch'. While it's only just releasing there, it's been out elsewhere for a few weeks now. The concern is, to a certain extent, legitimate. First articles are always subject to more production flaws because production lines are just 'learning' how to process the new product. I'm in Product R&D and this is a common issue, it's only up to the companies to decide how much time they spend on full inspection on the first production batches. In the case of electronics, there's so much that can go wrong that not every single device can be tested for every single piece and bit. These issues are commonly ironed out as production rolls out and gets better with time.

Yes sir, but manufacturing tolerance is put in place before production so as long as that is met, it will be manufactured. Not to say that later versions are not improved, because they are, but most OEM try to get the best out the door first. Reputation is important.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is, but so are deadlines. That's why first batches are always a concern. Again, it's not like all units will burst into flames and have all their buttons fall off, but the risk of getting a faulty unit is always greater on the first batches as on later ones.

Example. First batch of Note 3's had a wobbly home button; newer units don't. First batch iPhone 5S's have issues all around, but most notably, with the battery. Newer batches don't. On the software side nearly all new devices have to release patches to fix something that doesn't surface until the masses begin to complain; first batches will run the risk of having something not work properly until said patch is released.

I'm not saying buying first-batch articles is a mistake, but he asked if it was a legitimate concern and, truth be told, it is. The risk, however, is not THAT bad, especially when all you want is your new toy with you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech