Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Battery life sucks, as does charging

Melirose520

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I can only get about 3-5 hours on a full charged battery doing anything from light browsing to watching youtube videos. Not to mention it takes forever to charge. I plugged it in last night and had it charging for 8 hours and it hadn't even gotten past 90 percent. WTF? 600 dollars and the battery and charging are trash. SMH Samsung.

I am currently on my third note 10.1 as I have had to exchange two already after plugging them in to the diagnostic tool in t-mobile's stores and they were both diagnosed having defective batteries. I suggest going in to tmobile if this is where you bought the device and having them run diagnostics on yours as well, as this is the only way to determine if you really have a defective battery or not. If you bought it elsewhere, contact Samsung technical support and they'll probably swap it out if they determine it's defective. If you go the Samsung route, it'll take quite a bit longer and you'll probably have to go without your device for quite a bit, since it won't quite work like t-mobile's warranties where you receive a replacement and then send back the old one after switching them out.

ereman

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I must, for the most part completely agree. Have used 10.1 3 n 4 both pathetic charge time. Now use time (I am finding just today btw) can be , I dare say, significantly improved. Have to really comb through settings ie wifi scan off when screen off BT if not using.
Continual use I cannot really speak on. I guess I got 4ish hrs. I hate to say but reducing screen brightness to auto or by 40 - 50% Will do wonders. Thats all I got for, what its worth.
Oh btw would always take crappy samsung (gone through 2 7s and 2 10s h/w issues)
over ipud any anyday.

globalgirl1977

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
If you had asked me two weeks ago about the battery life of the Samsung Note 10.1, I would have said it is awesome and that I have never had a problem. Literally in the last week it has all been shot to sh*t. Won't hold a charge (reading a Kindle book drained my battery in an hour and a half from about 90% to shutdown). Won't take a charge (charged for 7+ hours last night, switched off, and did not achieve more than 65% charge whereas a full charge switched off would be achieved in 2 hours previously). Won't maintain a charge if plugged in and being used lightly.

Just tried a "fix" found on another forum on this site and now my tablet is stuck on a screen with a giant Android logo, the words "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" and it won't go away. I'm afraid to turn the thing off in case I end up with an absolutely useless piece of plastic (if anyone has any suggestions, I would be ETERNALLY grateful!).

Please help! This thing and I are joined at the hip and I would be heartbroken if it's in real trouble (it was a gift too!). Thanks, in advance.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
If you had asked me two weeks ago about the battery life of the Samsung Note 10.1, I would have said it is awesome and that I have never had a problem. Literally in the last week it has all been shot to sh*t. Won't hold a charge (reading a Kindle book drained my battery in an hour and a half from about 90% to shutdown). Won't take a charge (charged for 7+ hours last night, switched off, and did not achieve more than 65% charge whereas a full charge switched off would be achieved in 2 hours previously). Won't maintain a charge if plugged in and being used lightly.

Just tried a "fix" found on another forum on this site and now my tablet is stuck on a screen with a giant Android logo, the words "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" and it won't go away. I'm afraid to turn the thing off in case I end up with an absolutely useless piece of plastic (if anyone has any suggestions, I would be ETERNALLY grateful!).

Please help! This thing and I are joined at the hip and I would be heartbroken if it's in real trouble (it was a gift too!). Thanks, in advance.

Do you have a custom recovery on it?

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Send it in to samsung. Had a similar problem with note8. I though it was the battery but it was a defective charging port. Sammy fixed it, runs great now.

eracer956

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree...the Galaxy Note does not equal any other electronics out there, regarding battery. I am not a techie, and I just use it to browse...but I noticed the battery life was very short, and charging it ALMOST takes the amount of time equal to the time used.....I love the product...but the battery sucks!!

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I cant take it to class, because it will not make it through a 2 hour class. Why get started with it;
frustrating. :(

I have never experienced the battery being that bad. I am able to take it to school for the entire 8 hour school day, 3-4 hours of screen on time. Do you have power saving mode on during the day? Also if you go to settings➡controls and turn off pen detection it will save a lot of battery. The only thing the pen detection does is let the device know whether the spen is in the device or not in the device.

note-4

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Clearing cache/factory reset improved my battery life, and quicker charging times

Try it before doing anything else

Posted via the Android Central App

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
This morning i decided to record the time it takes to charge my note 10.1. With a room temperature of about 28c, using standard charger supplied, tablet turned off. I managed to get a 7.5hr charging time to reach 100%.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20150423_152755.jpg
    20150423_152755.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 66

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
This morning i decided to record the time it takes to charge my note 10.1. With a room temperature of about 28c, using standard charger supplied, tablet turned off. I managed to get a 7.5hr charging time to reach 100%.

Is this normal?

I noticed that you are using the stock Samsung charging cable. I used the app Ampere to show me the best cable for charging and I found out that the stock charging cable is horrible for charging. I started charging my tablet using only an LG cable and my charging time was down to 2-3 hours or so. I also use the stock charging brick/ac adapter. The app lets the user see the charging current, the user should then swap out cables until he/she finds the best/fastest charging cable. I am not associated with the app in any way shape or form.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Is this normal?

I had this problem too before and found out 2 culprits. The charger pins has bended and just need to bend it back, so USB cable sit correct. DONT HAVE CHARGER PLUGGED IN WHILE BENDING IT BACK!
Samsungs USB cable is "broken", I got 3-4 of it from old Samsungs devices and only 1 is still working for charging correct.
Use Galaxy Current app to measure while charging the tab and find u culprit for the slow charging.

xenia2015

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Wish I had read this before I bought mine. Charging issues from the beginning, purchased in January 2014, sent it in for repair in May 2014. They replaced the charging unit and it charged OK for a couple months but the battery life was still terrible, 1-2 hours at best with pretty light usage. Got very frustrating to continually charge, so I purchased an iPad air which has tremendous battery life in comparison. But the iPad does not have half the features I purchased the Samsung for, so after several months I tried to use my Samsung again but the charging issues and battery life got worse. Called samsung again and was told the table:Dt was out of warranty but someone from their"non-warranty " department would call me back. Several phone calls and several days have gone by with no response. Now I have a useless $600 tablet that I've gotten about 4 months worth of limited use out of. I've purchased 5 samsung phones and 2 tablets in the last 2 years for myself and my family. When is time for replacement I'll be looking elsewhere.

jaycee22222

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Battery life sucks, as does charging

NO this is not normal. I had this with the device and after sending it back they could get it to charge or hold charge at speed maybe a few times then it reverted back to slow charging and fast battery use. Eventually the replaced the device with a new one and it is fantastic to charge about 2 hours and last about 7-8 hours in use as long as aren't playing games for the whole time

xxGBHxx

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery life sucks, as does charging

So if the Samsung cord is not working for many people, what cord are you using? Anything on Amazon you can recommend because yeah it takes mine like 10+ hours to charge, when it charges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01