Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Battery life sucks, as does charging

I can only get about 3-5 hours on a full charged battery doing anything from light browsing to watching youtube videos. Not to mention it takes forever to charge. I plugged it in last night and had it charging for 8 hours and it hadn't even gotten past 90 percent. WTF? 600 dollars and the battery and charging are trash. SMH Samsung.

Default Re: Battery life sucks, as does charging

Not at all what I've been reading and/or hearing... Are you using the supplied charger? Maybe you got a faulty unit...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Not at all what I've been reading and/or hearing... Are you using the supplied charger? Maybe you got a faulty unit...
    Been using the charger that came with the device. Everything is superb Except for the battery after installing nova launcher and dolphin browser. I can't imagine it's just the battery and or a faulty unit.

I have been getting about the same. I think I actually got about 1 whole hour one time playing games or something. If I don't user it for games, it tends to lay a bit longer. Hoping maybe an update our something can fix this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Since 2008: HTC Wing>Sidekick 3>Sidekick Slide>Sidekick LX 2009>Palm Pre>Blackberry Curve 8330>Motorola Droid>HTC Thunderbolt>Razr Maxx>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeorge36 View Post
    I have been getting about the same. I think I actually got about 1 whole hour one time playing games or something. If I don't user it for games, it tends to lay a bit longer. Hoping maybe an update our something can fix this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    I highly doubt Samsung will update this. But I could be wrong. Let me state by saying I think the device itself is better than the Ipad. However, if the battery life + the time it takes to charge is this ridiculously slow for a premium tablet. Than in my opinion it's a deal breaker for me. And I don't think that makes me a "hater" or a "whiner". I think it's honestly a valid point that the battery time and charging time should be exponentially better on a $600 dollar product.

I know that people are going to probably bash me for comparing it to the Ipad. But it's fair to compare because of the price tag and the fact that these are the two premium flagship tablets on the market. While saying that. Apples Ipads seem to be light years better in the battery department (as far as time spent using it and time it takes to charge) than the Galaxy Note. If I were Samsung I'd be pretty embarrassed by the battery performance and the fact that it seems ( though I of course don't have the numbers) that a large number of people feel the need to root their device just to get rid of TouchWiz. If I'm missing something please tell me.

And let me not forget to mention the device won't charge if I'm using it.

I'll be getting (hopefuylly) my Note 10.1 next week... I'll run it through 'my' test and share my results. That being said, I do expect the iPad's to be better. Just this week I left my fully charged iPad (4th gen, soon to be sold) on my desk on Monday and didn't remember about it until today; this morning, five days later, it was at 87%. I doubt the Note will be able to match that. But I just can't stand iOS anymore, so much I'm used to do with Android that I just can't do on iOS now and I rather keep my tablet charged on a daily basis than live with the frustration and risk wanting to smash the iPad against the nearest wall :P

I'm getting 7 hours screen time and about 4.5 hours for a full charge.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Battery life sucks, as does charging-tempfileforshare.jpg

Started at 18% not even at 100% after 5 hours. Is there something wrong with my device?

I'll be getting (hopefuylly) my Note 10.1 next week... I'll run it through 'my' test and share my results. That being said, I do expect the iPad's to be better. Just this week I left my fully charged iPad (4th gen, soon to be sold) on my desk on Monday and didn't remember about it until today; this morning, five days later, it was at 87%. I doubt the Note will be able to match that. But I just can't stand iOS anymore, so much I'm used to do with Android that I just can't do on iOS now and I rather keep my tablet charged on a daily basis than live with the frustration and risk wanting to smash the iPad against the nearest wall :P
    Can you give some examples of things you are used to doing on Android that you can't do on iOS?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Can you give some examples of things you are used to doing on Android that you can't do on iOS?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Multi tasking and having a ton of keyboard choices.

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post
    The battery life doesn't suck, YOU suck!

lol just kidding man.

Your post and the others regarding battery life inspired me to write up this guide: [GUIDE] Longer Battery Life (or How You're Being Robbed!)

Follow what I wrote. If you are still getting lackluster performance out of your battery, then it is probably defective. It's happened to a few others on here and on XDA, exchange the device immediately.

BTW here is my first ever run down on the device:

Attachment 90945

EDIT:

SON OF A B$#%@!!!! I just realized I should have called my guide "The Battery Life Doesn't Suck, You Suck."
    May I ask how much you are using your device? What I mean is during that day 31 hours do you have an estimate of how much you were actually using it? And were you using it for light, moderate or heavy usage.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post
    Also, Where did you purchase the Note from? I ask because, if it's Best Buy, then your return window is only 15 days. In fact a lot of places are now only offering two weeks for returns. So do your testing and everything, but I want to make sure you don't get stuck with it if it is in fact defective. If you do, I'm sure Samsung will replace it for free with a new one, but why go through the hassle, you know?
    I understand and I appreciate all your help and that post. I charged it to 100 percent and played fifa for a bit and browsed the internet. I have my brightness on about 30 percent however after about 1:47:33 off the charger, mostly in stand by, it is already down to 84%. I'd say I've been playing with it for about 35ish minutes.

I'm not sure if my expectations for this thing is unreasonable. This is my first tablet. Though I know plenty of people who have ipads and they their battery lasting time is amazing. I did get it from best buy. My only fear of returning it is if I decide to pick up another one it will have the same issues. I've been reading about bestbuy banning people who return too much. Although, I rarely shop there. First time in two years I got something from bestbuy.

Just to add. Right after I took it off the charger I didn't mess with it for about 45 minutes. And in that 45 minutes of it in stand by mode it dropped 5%. Is that not a red flag?

For info. 20hrs useage on one charge (moderate no games!!) 2 hrs to recharge fully to 100%

Quote Originally Posted by bendawgs View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempFileForShare.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	90933

Started at 18% not even at 100% after 5 hours. Is there something wrong with my device?
    My similar screen shows 18 hours with 69% screen time and battery still at 49%. I don't watch many videos or play games. I can get several days before I need to charge, unlike my PlayBook that was a partial day for similar use. I think the battery life I get is incredible. I make sure I close all apps, etc running before turning the power off or just the screen off. I don't use it all day long like I assume many others do.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Yea, I think I'm going to take it back to Bestbuy and get it from Amazon. It's $569.99 for the 32g! I turned all the settings down VDC after your guide and I still think not great. I did play Fifa and watch videos for a bit but I subtract the total amount of time actually using from the 45 minutes it was on stand by. Thanks everyone for the responses and help.Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Battery life sucks, as does charging-tempfileforshare-1-.jpg
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Nexus 10.2 FTW!

I have a trip to San Antonio next week and imagine my horror, I was hoping to buy this tablet and I can't find it in any store in Best Buy! :S And it's listed as not available for Store Pickup I hope the site's just not updated. I COULD get it from Amazon but my trip's only for a weekend, and I don't have an US address, just the hotel.

BTW, BestBuy does offer Price Matching even 15 days after your purchase, and Amazon is in the listed retailers that are accepted for the match policy.

I have a trip to San Antonio next week and imagine my horror, I was hoping to buy this tablet and I can't find it in any store in Best Buy! :S And it's listed as not available for Store Pickup I hope the site's just not updated. I COULD get it from Amazon but my trip's only for a weekend, and I don't have an US address, just the hotel.

BTW, BestBuy does offer Price Matching even 15 days after your purchase, and Amazon is in the listed retailers that are accepted for the match policy.
    I've had Amazon deliver to hotels for me many times. In fact I've had them deliver to me in hotels in San Antonio before. Some hotels will charge you a fee to accept the package on your behalf and others won't. The Embassy Suites on Huston St. won't charge you to accept your package. The Weston on the River Walk will charge you to accept your package. In any event, it's worth doing. You could also look at the Best Buys in San Antonio (or even Austin) for a store pick-up.

Global Posts
    8,889 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

iPads have excellent idle drain but the screen time isn't that much better.

I have found mine to be phenomenal in terms of battery life. Last night when I went to bed I had a total time on of 1 day 17 hours and change, with 7 hrs and 56 minutes of screen on time and still had 27% battery remaining.

I've had my Note 10.1 2014 for 3 weeks now and the battery life has been very reliable, gets me through the day with note taking and research for my college classes, with games and video streaming thrown in at random. I have always made sure that all of my excess settings (gps, blutooth, multiwindow, etc) have always been off unless I was using it on all of my Android devices, so that probably helped me out a lot. I would just get in the habit of turning these various settings off unless you're using them.

As for the charging, I usually charge overnight and it seems to be fully charged after about 5-6 hours starting from around 10% when I plug it in.

Posted via Note 10.1 2014
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boprice2012 View Post
    I've had my Note 10.1 2014 for 3 weeks now and the battery life has been very reliable, gets me through the day with note taking and research for my college classes, with games and video streaming thrown in at random. I have always made sure that all of my excess settings (gps, blutooth, multiwindow, etc) have always been off unless I was using it on all of my Android devices, so that probably helped me out a lot. I would just get in the habit of turning these various settings off unless you're using them.

As for the charging, I usually charge overnight and it seems to be fully charged after about 5-6 hours starting from around 10% when I plug it in.

Dude don't let your battery get below 20%, otherwise you'll just be draining it.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

Quote Originally Posted by alexlam24 View Post
    Dude don't let your battery get below 20%, otherwise you'll just be draining it.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    What do you mean?

Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boprice2012 View Post
    What do you mean?

You'll be damaging your battery

I posted this in the thread for Poetic case but it applies to the battery also.

I just got a Poetic case yesterday and it's great for the price. Fits great and super cheap price. I power off the tablet, not just the screen every night or when I leave for work. Battery lasts for days and no issues for almost a month now. Last night I think I had close to 50% power before turning it off. This morning it was dead!!!!! Anyone else using a case experience this? This case is supposed to wake up or sleep the screen but it shouldn't be turning the tablet on if the power is off!

UPDATE: I researched other threads and tried pressing the power button 10 to 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, the battery icon appeared with over 2/3 charge! Pressing the power button the normal 2 to 3 seconds now turns it on and it shows 72% power! Any ideas what happened?
    Last edited by dllrogers55; 11-14-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: update
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast