Old Dog and New Tricks

prstlk

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I will be the first to admit that my computer "tech" knowledge is extremely limited. Until recently our computers were both over 10 year old tower computers still running on Windows XP. We recently upgraded to a laptop with Windows 8 and have now purchased the Note 10.1 2014 as a more portable item to carry with us. Herein lies our problem.

This is the first Android item we have ever owned. I am finding out it is a lot different than a Windows based item like our laptop.

We received the Note and have to admit that it is getting the best of us. Now please be nice to me on this question:

Is there somewhere I can go on the internet to learn what the dickens what each of these apps will do? I find some of them discussed on review websites and some discussed here but nothing that I can go to and have it tell me exactly what it will do. I downloaded the help files but I couldn't really find anything on the apps in that.

For instance - here is one example - I got frustrated last night trying to move photos from my "camera" file into other files that I have set up for photos. It seems like the only thing it will let me do after I mark them is delete them. Is there a way to just drag and drop things into files?

I would really like to keep this tablet because I love being able to take photos and show them to friends and family on the nice screen (which is about all we have been able to figure out how to do so far.) but I also want to be able to utilize everything it came with as well.

Or am I just too darn old to teach new tricks?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Is there somewhere I can go on the internet to learn what the dickens what each of these apps will do? I find some of them discussed on review websites and some discussed here but nothing that I can go to and have it tell me exactly what it will do. I downloaded the help files but I couldn't really find anything on the apps in that.

For instance - here is one example - I got frustrated last night trying to move photos from my "camera" file into other files that I have set up for photos. It seems like the only thing it will let me do after I mark them is delete them. Is there a way to just drag and drop things into files?

I would really like to keep this tablet because I love being able to take photos and show them to friends and family on the nice screen (which is about all we have been able to figure out how to do so far.) but I also want to be able to utilize everything it came with as well.

As far as getting a better description on certain apps, maybe try going to the developers website if they have one?

In reference to your picture moving problem, I personally never use the stock gallery app. I use QuickPic which allows you to move photos to different folders.

To be honest, I learned about a lot of apps just by word of mouth and trying them out myself. If I liked them after playing around with them then I would keep them and if not, they would be deleted. Android can seem a bit overwhelming to someone who's new to the OS but once you sit down and play around with it you'll realize how easy it is to navigate.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the most frustrating thing to get past is the difference in file management and the new nuance of getting comfortable with a touch screen environment. Get the free app Astro File manager. It will let you visually navigate around your files/folders etc. With that you can see the contents of a microSD card or flash drive where you may be keeping copies of stuff you want to save on your Note. Also the "long press" is usually a good thing to try to learn of certain options. For example, in Astro file, a long press on a file, brings up an options menu that lets you select copy or move. Once done, navigate to where you want that file and tap paste. If you want multiple files there is a multi icon on the top of the screen.

it takes a little time to get used to, but Android is such a nice OS after years of Windows. any questions just ask. :), You'll do fine

And PS You are not too old, I'm old and do just great with it :)

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
First, get the 200-page user manual from Samsung's website. It mentions all the built-in features of the Note, but doesn't go into great depth. But it should get you started. As the other poster said, you need a third-party app like QuickPic to organize your pictures better. The manual, of course, doesn't cover third-party apps.

If you need help on Android specifically, take a look at some help books like this one. Amazon lets you read sample pages.

If you need help with the built-in apps, and the manual doesn't help, you can come here and start a specific thread for topic you need help with or try contacting Samsung.

For help with a third-party app, if it is from a notable developer, there may be an official website with help info. If it is from a minor developer, it may be harder to get help. Since you are just starting, I think it is the built-in apps you need help with the most?

It may help to set some goals on what you need to learn. I think below are the basic essentials you really need to master:

1. Navigating around the Note's various screens: home screen, app screen, widget screen, lock screen, settings screens.
2. Configure settings for your Note's various functions: Wi-fi settings, account settings, S Pen settings, display and sound settings, etc.
3. Setting up accounts for email, Dropbox, Evernote, etc.
4. Typing text with keyboard, and with handwriting recognition (using the S Pen) .
5. Drawing with the S Pen, using apps like S Note and Sketchbook.
6. Shoot videos and photos: set resolution, flash, aspect ratio, etc.
7. Download essential apps that don't come with the Note: weather app, stock market app, news app, etc.

Advanced topics:

8. Install microSD card for extra storage.
9. Connect Note to a PC with the micro-USB cable for file transfer.
10. Connect Note to a PC via Wi-fi for file transfer.
11. Learn how cloud computing can help you: store personal files on Dropbox, sync notes with Evernote, use web apps like Google Docs and Microsoft SkyDrive to manage office documents.

RussBad

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I will be the first to admit that my computer "tech" knowledge is extremely limited. Until recently our computers were both over 10 year old tower computers still running on Windows XP. We recently upgraded to a laptop with Windows 8 and have now purchased the Note 10.1 2014 as a more portable item to carry with us. Herein lies our problem.

This is the first Android item we have ever owned. I am finding out it is a lot different than a Windows based item like our laptop.

We received the Note and have to admit that it is getting the best of us. Now please be nice to me on this question:

As far as moving files around, I think the easiest thing for you to do is to connect your device to your computer. It would then act like an external hard drive where you can see the folders and then you can copy and paste or drag files around just like any windows folder.
For learning about Android, or anything really, go to YouTube and search a topic you would like to learn about. A good search tip would be to type in "basics for android devices" or "tips and tricks for android". The learning curve is not that difficult, you'll have it down in no time!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae