Videos capable of streaming to Samsung TV?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I took advantage of Samsung Note offer when you register device. Got the $50 credit in the Hub store and bought movie. Downloaded the movie directly to device.

I wanted to watch it on my Samsung TV that has All share and link built into it. I can run pictures and videos taken on device to TV. Cannot figure out how to watch movie I purchased via tablet on TV with these same features. Anyone even know if this is possible? Figured if you own the movie Samsung wouldn't prevent you from watching it on your Samsung TV. Wifi is all connected properly.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have found some of the most frustrating features of this tablet and the whole Samsung line of so called interactive devices, is the confusing, redundant, poorly documented, and poorly supported mechanics and functionality of these features. You have, screen mirroring, Wi-Fi direct, nearby devices, and Samsung link. these all "seem" like they should do about the same things, and easily "talk" to each other within Samsung devices, however this could not be further from the truth.

What I have found, regardless of all the different options in settings, the only thing that seems to work more or less is Samsung link. That said, it can only send media (pics, vids, music) to a Samsung smart tv that can be "seen" and registered across your devices.

Add for what it can stream, it seems to be limited to actual files on your device, which I think, a movie from Samsung hub, would already be streamed TO your tablet and not an actual file down loaded to the tablet.

but I could be wrong, it's all a tad confusing ;-)

Striker101960

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
So far I haven't found anyway to send the video from Samsung hub to the tv unless you use a mini hdmi cable and not sure of that because haven't tried yet.

Ktrek

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if a rooted Google Chromecast dongle could have the Samsung Direct Link app installed on it and be able to stream to your TV that way? Seems possible anyway.

Kevin

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Humm... I haven't tried it yet but at least on the Note 3 (which should be the same Link software as the Note 10.1 2014) works without issues... I can 'mirror' my phone to my TV and whatever I do in my phone's screen is sent to the TV. Note, however, that SOME material (might be the case of movies downloaded from the Hub) DO NOT ALLOW STREAMING, only mirroring via HDMI. This is due to copyright stuff, and there's no other way around it (except for rooting and hackery hehe).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it... It took about 5 seconds to start streaming my screen to the TV. I just hit the "source" button on my TV, selected "Screen Mirroring", selected the same option from my phone's notification bar and voila, just selected the TV from the list. Video playback was smooooooth

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This problem is specific to the Note 10.1 2014 edition. Samsung has a problem here. I have brought this issue up before and have yet to find a solution. If the problem is due to restrictions on streaming then that issue should have been addressed at the time of purchase. I had no indication that the download would only play on my tablet, if I had been told then I damn sure wouldn't have paid $19.99 for the movie.
I know one individual worked around this problem with a powered micro usb to Hdmi adaptor but I'm not interested in linking to my TV This way.
I won't purchases down loadable movies from the Samsung Hub anymore.

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This problem is specific to the Note 10.1 2014 edition. Samsung has a problem here. I have brought this issue up before and have yet to find a solution. If the problem is due to restrictions on streaming then that issue should have been addressed at the time of purchase. I had no indication that the download would only play on my tablet, if I had been told then I damn sure wouldn't have paid $19.99 for the movie.
I know one individual worked around this problem with a powered micro usb to Hdmi adaptor but I'm not interested in linking to my TV This way.
I won't purchases down loadable movies from the Samsung Hub anymore.

I think a lot of us figured out that Samsung Hub isn't quite the way to go.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Umm...the thing is I believe it DOES say it's not available for streaming to a TV unless you use a MHL (wired) connection. And again, it's not Samsung's fault, it's the content owner that sets these ridiculous 'copyright measures'.

PS, I just asked around and it seems other apps do this as well. HBO Go and MovieCity's apps have the same restriction for SOME content.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
When purchasing a movie from the Hub, the customer is not informed that they can't stream to their other devices before or after the purchase. My experience has been that at no time was I told that this was the reason the movie wouldn't stream to my TV. The only time I saw anything that indicated a restriction was when I finally found the downloaded movie in the video player and clicked on the movie`s properties. Whether this was an oversight or planned omission in order to sell from the Hub is off no difference to me because now that I know this is the case I will just buy DVDs or Blue Ray disc's from now on. I personally think Samsung should be up front with that information. Heck it would have saved me a great deal of time if the video player would have informed me of the restrictions when I tried to share it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, not just Samsung. Google Movies too are restricted in some regions. Again, it all depends on the movie, the region you're in, and the owner of the content's license in that region.

PS: Yes, it's in legal lingo and pretty much open, but it's there if you know what you're looking for (and Sammy's lawyers do). In short, the content for video is meant to play only on authorized devices, it includes DRM protections set BY THE LICENSE OWNERS, and may even restrict already downloaded material if the original license owner requests for it.
https://account.samsung.com/membership/etc/specialTC.do?fileName=samsungvideo.txt

nowt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Had my tab 2014 for a few weeks ( UK) and have a Panasonic tv with Viera Tools. Using the media server feature I have been able to watch any video in the tablet video folder over my home network

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
@nowt, yes, any video you download from other sources and store in your SD card can usually be streamed to your TV (except for those DRM-protected files you might have gotten from a video store).

As for the 'they do tell you, they don't tell you' debacle, to put more or less a final point to it, there IS indication on EVERY SINGLE MOVIE on the Movie Hub on whether it can be streamed (there's the AllShare icon, not all can), if it can be transfered via HDMI (there's the HDMI icon; surprisingly, also not all movies can be seen through HDMI, although most can), if it's available only on SD or HD, and if the HD version is topped at 720p or 1080p. The icons are there, so the info is there.

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Depends on how you downloaded it.
Sometimes you go to Samsung video hub》videos, then swipe right to left.
Maybe easiest to use My files, and check the video tab, otherwise go down the root 》storage》device storage》Samsung videohub》contents....and have a look in thereby clicking on each file, then opening it in the RHS pane. You should also find the Copter sample video helicopter.pyv

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why would you need this app when most phones (all of them, from what I've seen at least in the last three years or so) already support streaming? As long as you have a Smart TV or Smart Hub (like XBox, PS3, Chromecast, etc.) you can stream 'the basics'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2