Behavior I don't understand in trying to play an mp3 in DropBox

thecaptain42

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
In my DB folder, I have several 50MB mp3 files that are about 2 hours long. If I launch DB, navigate to them and click one, I see a horizontal scroll bar, with my file name and a music note icon. Progress goes very slow, never finishes in my 10 minute display timeout. Looks like this 50MB file is being copied somewhere???, but takes a very long time to copy. I tried an experiment of putting a short mp3 in the same folder, and a few seconds later, am asked which app to play it and it plays fine. I also put some 3 minute or so mp3's on my micro-sd chip, which play just about immediately.

Does anyone know why a copy needs to take place, and why it takes so long? I was hoping it would play the mp3 file, wherever it is.

Thanks, Norm

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
DB does NOT stream your files, that's why it needs to be downloaded to a temp placeholder in your device, first. If it's a small file, it takes less time. There are apps that let you 'stream' files but that requires putting up a server somewhere, and I haven't seen any that can stream directly from DB, but I might be wrong. In any case, if what you want is for MP3s only, Google Play Music lets you upload quite a hefty amount of songs for free, and then let you stream them.

thecaptain42

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
OK, DB doesn't work like I thought it would. On my laptop (not connected to the Internet), I can play these mp3's very quickly, as they are stored on my hard drive. I assumed Android devices were the same, but, see they're not. You're right, if I turn off wifi, the copy (stream) process doesn't take place.

I always wondered how you could actually use the 50GB in the Note 2014 promotion, as DB can't use the micro-sd chip, and our tablet does not have 50+GB of storage. This streaming you talked about explains how DB works in Android devices, Thanks.

I'm copying the DB mp3's to my micro-sd chip so I don't need the Internet to play them. Actually copying them pretty quickly, think all 9 mp3's will copy during my 10 minute display timeout.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, most people actually have that gripe with the DB app for Android (it just doesn't really sync more than just browse and upload pictures). That being said, I do remember seeing an app that allowed you to 'emulate' the DB app for the desktop, truly syncing DB with your phone (selecting folders, whatever is in DB downloads to your phone and whatever changes you make in your phone are done to DB). Just beware, like you said, this can make you run out of space pretty quickly if not careful (not to mention the battery drain).

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with spookdroid about using Google Play Music for mp3 files. It's free and you can upload 20,000 songs. That is really alot. I have a huge collection of music, and I am barely at 9000 songs. You can also get them to upload to there directly from the Note, via DropBox , once you set it up on a PC. Google play music streams very well, even from an average 3g connection from a cell phone. Drop Box is great for storage but not for playing media.

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I do remember seeing an app that allowed you to 'emulate' the DB app for the desktop, truly syncing DB with your phone (selecting folders, whatever is in DB downloads to your phone and whatever changes you make in your phone are done to DB).

Look for dropsync in market.