1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default cannot open file

hi all,

i have a problem on my galaxy tablet, someone send me an email attachment and i cannot open the file.
    what driving me nuts is the file is in the pdf form but the icon is showing as a gallery picture.

thak you in advance...

Default Re: cannot open file

can you save the attachment, then go look at the file name? maybe the sender did not create/save the file correctly? have you tried to receive then open it on another computer?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thank you for the reply diane,

yes i tried but still error cannot open file. the file is on .pdf the funny thing is that the icon appearing on the file is gallery icon not the adobe icon and on the computer its openning correctly.

Try saving the file to your phone, then opening the file directly from your PDF reader (I don't know which one you use). Also, if the problem is that it wants to 'read' it automatically as a picture, then go to the Application Manager in Settings, scroll to the All tab, look for the Gallery, and in there select CLEAR DEFAULTS. This should let you be asked what to do when you want to open the file.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

spoorkdroid thank you for the reply,

my setting is on default, everytime i open a file its asking me what apps do i want to open the file. this is an email attachment a scan documents if that will help. the file name is like this: 25152452.pdf but the icon is gallery.

So, when clicking the file it wants to open a gallery app? It might be the mail app settings then... which e-mail app are you using?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

normally it will ask what apps to used but it will notify me directly "cannot open file" im using the stock email on my samsung galaxy tablet.

it almost sounds like whoever scanned it, saved it as an image instead of a true pdf. Try saving it to your download folder, then renaming it to something with a .jpg extension. Then see if you can open it on the tablet as an image. Also can you forward that email to someone else to see if they can open as a normal pdf. A bit of a mystery here for sure. There seems to be something in the meta data of the file that is telling your tablet it's.com image.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

It sounds like at some point you accidentally picked the gallery app to be the default for pdf files which is why you are getting that error message..

Follow Spookdroid's advice: Application Manager in Settings, scroll to the All tab, look for the Gallery, and in there select CLEAR DEFAULTS.

The next time you go to open the file, it will ask you which app to use.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

hi diane,

I already save it to the download folder, but there is no other option but to delete the file it wont allow me to rename the file to .jgp. I open the file on the laptop and its opening as a pdf.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

hi cobravision,
    the settings is on default already.

other file is asking me which app I want to use but this one don't, its just notify me the "cannot open file".