Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By double923
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery!

There are some mentioned somewhere that GN 10.1 2014 drains more battery while in sleep mode compare to iPad. Out of the box, between ipad and GN 10.1 2014, I agreed that ipad drains very little when in sleep. What people does not know is. IPad turns off wifi everytime when it goes to sleep. This saves a lot of power. All Mac laptops do the same. GN 10.1 2014 on the other hand ALWAYS has wifi on regardless. Which continues to drain battery while in sleep mode. The good news is. You can turn that off. While in seeting, wifi, click on menu button and select advanced. You can set the "KEEP WIFI ON DURING SLEEP" to never. This will save the power. With is setting, I see very little battery drian from my GN 10.1 2014 when in sleep for a long period.
    Thanked by:
    nettech207 likes this.

Default Re: Battery!

Great observation! Although I'm one who would leave WIFI on constantly I do agree it's a bit unfair to compare without using similar settings.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Interesting tip. But I'm finding the battery life on this quite good even with WiFi on all the time. I'm getting 7-8 hours with moderate use. My only issue is that it does take what seems a very long time to charge after drained down to about 10%.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

And that is what is great about Android. You have option to turn thing off, leaving thing on, change, etc… I am not saying other platform is bad, sometime you just don't want to to be told how thing should work.

Quote Originally Posted by double923 View Post
    And that is what is great about Android. You have option to turn thing off, leaving thing on, change, etc… I am not saying other platform is bad, sometime you just don't want to to be told how thing should work.
    Apple doesn't let you turn this option on or off? I'm not the biggest fan of Apple but I find it difficult to believe that they left out such a basic option.

Sounds good. Too bad there wasn't a setting based on time. This way we could set it to "never" during the night but always during the day or whatever hours we chose. This way when you pick up the tablet during the day and then put it down for a while, when you picked it back up everything was good to go.

Might try it anyway. Thanks.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by joedm126 View Post
    Sounds good. Too bad there wasn't a setting based on time. This way we could set it to "never" during the night but always during the day or whatever hours we chose. This way when you pick up the tablet during the day and then put it down for a while, when you picked it back up everything was good to go.

Might try it anyway. Thanks.
    You should be able to achieve that with that App called "Tasker" or other similar app.

Looks like Battery Tasker might be the way to go at least for this one issue. It's free and not as complicated as the main Tasker App. I will have to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Apple but I find it difficult to believe that they left out such a basic option.
    That phrase comes up regularly with Apple products, which is why I never buy their products. Up until they started diligently copying Android features with iOS5, there was a laundry list of basic options that were left out.

No right click? Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    That phrase comes up regularly with Apple products, which is why I never buy their products. Up until they started diligently copying Android features with iOS5, there was a laundry list of basic options that were left out.

Not a fan of that but I respect those that do prefer Apple. Not my place to judge but my moment of lost respect was when I found out iPhone 5 was the only LTE phone on Verizon without the ability to talk and surf at the same time. Such a basic function gone.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post

I don't hate Apple, I use Apple product, Win, or whatever. Each platform just does thing differently.

BTW: It has right click.

To the OP thanks for the tip

The iPad still receives notifications instantly while sleeping so if WiFi was truly off the whole time, you would not be seeing any notifications.

The place where the iPad saves the most battery is with iOS and the limited background processes that can occur, while your note may have 20 services running in the background, the iPad will have maybe 1.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I don't think the ipad turns off wifi when it sleeps. When I'm home, I receive iMessages instantly, as well as email, game and news notifications when the unit is asleep. If WiFi was truly off, this wouldn't be the case would it? Also, when I am arriving at work in the morning, as soon as I get close enough to the building to start receiving a WiFi signal, my sleeping ipad will automatically connect to the company wifi and give me any outstanding email, news, game notifications that came while I was not connected to any WiFi during my commute. So, to me, this tells me that not only does the iPad not turn off WiFi while sleeping, it actually continues to search for a signal while sleeping.
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Not sure if that is the power nap feature that allows push notifications while in sleep? That is probably app specific that take advantage of power nap. I know my gmail wont come through till I unlock thd ipad. I know OS X has it, I am not totally sure if that made into ios. It is certainly a good discussion topic.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by double923 View Post
    Not sure if that is the power nap feature that allows push notifications while in sleep? That is probably app specific that take advantage of power nap. I know my gmail wont come through till I unlock thd ipad. I know OS X has it, I am not totally sure if that made into ios. It is certainly a good discussion topic.
    My gmail accounts all push notifications while my ipad is asleep. Maybe I have that setting enabled? I don't recall doing anything other than selecting allow push notifications when I set it up.