Secure Launcher

csantoro85

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a work tablet that says "Secure Launcher" With a Lock Icon across the top of the Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I'm trying to bypass it so I can use the tablet freely to access the internet, apps, etc but have no idea how. Anyone have any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Secure Launcher... sounds to me like your company either enabled (and enforced) a Knox profile or downloaded a Launcher replacement. If it's the first, it's harder to bypass since, well, it was made for that. Knox is a Samsung service meant to have 'two phones inside your phone' (or in this case, tablet), having one 'open' environment with default OS security and one that is secure, with heavy encryption, harder rules, etc.

If it's the latter, then you'd have to download a different launcher, like Nova or GoLauncher (this is basically the main software that lets you 'launch' apps). If you have access to Google Play, you can download it from there. If not, then you'd have to download the APK file from your PC, load it into your tablet (e-mail, bluetooth, etc.) and then click on the file to let it install the new launcher. HOWEVER, for this to work, you have to enable "Unknown sources" installations inside the Security options of your phone (and if the launcher is properly done and secure, you won't have access to these settings either).

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a work tablet that says "Secure Launcher" With a Lock Icon across the top of the Galaxy 10.1 tablet. I'm trying to bypass it so I can use the tablet freely to access the internet, apps, etc but have no idea how. Anyone have any ideas?

It sounds like it's been set up to prevent people from using it without having a password/authority. However, if that's not the case and there's just some goofy launcher blocking you, I would suggest trying to reboot the device into "safe mode" which is basically booting the device up without any of your 3rd party apps. Nothing would then load up but the bare bones OS apps. That would bypass the 3rd party launcher. You could then remove it or install a different one.

As far as how to enter safe mode it varies per device. On most devices you can just hold down the power button during start up until you see the words "safe mode" show up on the bottom of your screen. For other devices, sometimes you'll have to hold both the "volume up" and the "volume down" buttons at the same time (also until you see the words "safe mode" show up). You can just Google it to be certain how to do it.

Hope this helps.

GeekCop

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? It's your company's tablet, not yours. If they want strict IT policies, that's certainly their right. Don't like the policy, don't use the tablet.