Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Misterb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cable to connect Note 3 & Note 10.1?

Hi all,

I am looking to be able to connect my Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 together via a Cable instead of Bluetooth, however I cannot find a Cable with the correct Plugs, I already have a USB Cable for the Note 10.1 2014, but I then have to use a second Cable from the Note 3 to connect to the Note 10.1 2014 Cable.

Can you get a Cable with two Plug (male) ends to connect to the two (female) ports of the Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014? Or must I use two Cables?

the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 uses a Micro type B USB Plug,

but the Samsung Note 3 uses a different Plug, a Micro type B USB 3,

Jon

Default Re: Cable to connect Note 3 & Note 10.1?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Posted via Android Central App
    Verizon Galaxy Note 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi,

to Tether the Note 10.1 to the Note 3, so that I can go online with the Note 10.1 - only the Note 3 has 3G not my Note 10.1.

The Note 10.1 has a much larger screen and much easier to read and work from.

Jon

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Just set up a wifi hotspot on your note 3 and then connect your 10.1 to the hotspot or get a micro usb to female usb adapter for the 10.1, then you can use your note 3 cable to connect.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi, thanks,

but does Samsung, or an accessory provider, not provide just one cable instead of connecting two cables together, you would have thought that they, or some other company, would have, after all they have manufactured two devices which are advertised as being able to Tether and be Tethered, but yet not actually provide a single cable for it?

Jon

No need for cables. This isn't 2002. Set up the wireless Hotspot on the Note 3, and your Note 10.1 can get on the Internet through it without cables by using wifi

Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    SpookDroid likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi there

Bluetooth can potentially be a security risk, of course security precautions should be taken such as turning Bluetooth off when not in use, etc. but by using a Cable as a matter of routine, especially in public places, or in business negotiations... Bluetooth security issues can be overcome - by not using it, and Tethering directly using a Cable; especially important when the onus is on the user of the mobile equipment, not the company he is working for, even if the equipment was provided for by the same company, a bit unfair I think, but that's the way it is.

Oh well, two Cables it is then!

Thanks

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon234567890 View Post
    Hi there

Bluetooth can potentially be a security risk, of course security precautions should be taken such as turning Bluetooth off when not in use, etc. but by using a Cable as a matter of routine, especially in public places, or in business negotiations... Bluetooth security issues can be overcome - by not using it, and Tethering directly using a Cable; especially important when the onus is on the user of the mobile equipment, not the company he is working for, even if the equipment was provided for by the same company, a bit unfair I think, but that's the way it is.

Thanks

Jon
    Am I in the Twilight zone here? I never said blue tooth. I said wifi, which can be set up securely.

Verizon Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jon234567890 View Post
    Hi there

Thanks

Jon
    Misterb is suggesting a secured wifi hotspot from your phone. I do this all the time in public places. It's far less cumbersome than using a wired connection.
    If you're running the hotspot for a long time, you can even charge your phone while it's acting as the hotspot.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

Still don't think it's the best idea (I'd rather use the WiFi hotspot like the other posters suggest... you're still using a wireless connection to your phone, and that's always a security concern). But here you go:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hi,

Thanks SpookDroid, that's pointed me in the right direction.

Jon

Question: What app do you use that addresses the tetheriing ports where both ends are Android? Most wired tethering is PC/Android not Android/Android.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcbtmr View Post
    Question: What app do you use that addresses the tetheriing ports where both ends are Android? Most wired tethering is PC/Android not Android/Android.
    No app required. When you plug in it automatically tethers the 10.1 to the N3, or you can toggle it in settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump3r View Post
    No app required. When you plug in it automatically tethers the 10.1 to the N3, or you can toggle it in settings.
    I wonder if this requires the cable to be OTG or not (the pin setup is the same but the "Sense" terminal is grounded on OTG while 'floating' on a normal cable). Mmmmhhh...