Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Ereader

SheTeck

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 came with a really nice ereader, which I would like to download onto my Note. Is it possible to move apps from one device to another?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: ereader

It's possible if you're rooted or if you can find someone else who 'ripped' the app file (APK), but beware of a buggy experience if the app hasn't been updated for newer OS versions.

The Note 10.1 2014 also has a built-in e-reader, but you could also try other apps like Kobo or Google Play Books.

SheTeck

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Actually, I found a solution - I downloaded the Blue tooth App Sender application to my old tablet, which allows you to transfer apps from one device to another easily and without having to root the device.

Ktrek

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have found Moon+ Reader to be very good. Customizable with many font styles and the background can be changed to whatever color is comfortable for you and it's FREE from Google Play. Now if I can just figure out a way to get all my Nook and Kindle books to work on it. :)

Kevin

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Actually, I found a solution - I downloaded the Blue tooth App Sender application to my old tablet, which allows you to transfer apps from one device to another easily and without having to root the device.

I use Mantano reader, works well. I'd like to try this reader if you can post the apk here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

SheTeck

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Kevin. Yes, I purchased the Moon Reader Pro from Amazon as my old ereader didn't work well on the new Note. To convert your various ebook formats, you will need to download a program called Calibrate onto your computer and convert all formats to epub. Hope this helps.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Kevin. Yes, I purchased the Moon Reader Pro from Amazon as my old ereader didn't work well on the new Note. To convert your various ebook formats, you will need to download a program called Calibrate onto your computer and convert all formats to epub. Hope this helps.

Well, ereaders--maybe my main use (although I'd rather read on my S4 than a tablet), so if I can add a couple things....

First, Kindle for Android (free) works great as an eReader for books in prc or mobi format. It doesn't have to be just for native Kindle books, but if you are into eReading, you will probably want some at some point, so you may as well have it for that, too. IMHO, It's the best eReading app out there, simple, yet powerful. There are plenty of books available in *.mobi or *.prc format for free (e.g., Gutenberg.org, Manybooks.net) or for sale without DRM in compatible formats (Baen, for instance) that will work fine on Kindle, which is an elegant and well designed app that does everything very well. Also, you can email Word Docs and PDFs to the Kindle, too, as well as read various magazines. Big plus: Kindle handles complicated books, that is, very long ones, very well. I have some omnibus books that are 10+ megs. It's rare to find anything else that handles them well.

Downsides: Kindle is limited in the formats it will read (largely prc, mobi, native Kindle books, word docs and pdfs), and in current versions (since Android stopped using sd cards in the same way with Jelly Bean) will not find books stored on the card. Plus, the powerful "whispersync" cloud function of the Kindle app that is so convenient is only for books Amazon sells (or sometimes offers for free! There is a cool site called Kindle Buffet that offers daily listings of free Kindle books: Kindle Buffet). But in any event, whispersync to the Amazon cloud won't work with non-Amazon books (except word docs and pdfs you email to your Kindle or Kindle for Android App). You have to manually copy third party non-native books in formats Kindle will read to the appropriate Kindle directory on the phone's internal memory. You'll have to manually copy books with a lot of independent eReaders, too, but most of them will also find books on the card. Kindle doesn't any more. If you're short on space and carry a lot of books, that might be a problem, but then most people don't carry that many books (I do) and books are relatively small in byte size and don't eat up that much space unless you have a ton of them. Keep in mind if it affects you.

Given Kindle's limits, despite its many advantages, it is good to have 1 other reader, though. Plus, sometimes I like to be into 2 books at once for various reasons, which is easier with multiple readers. I've tried most of the other eReaders and I don't find any as versatile as Cool Reader, simply for the number of formats it reads. It does almost everything (pdb, prc, mobi, epub, for instance) and thus eliminates the effort you might spend on conversions. FREE.

Downside: it does not handle DRM books of any type, and it will not handle very large books well (like my 10+ megs), but that's not much of an issue for most. Other than that, it has a ton of options for customization, it's free, and it would be my choice of the independent eReaders, and I've tried most of them. I find it easier to have non-Kindle books (but for the very long, complicated ones that Kindle handles so well) on the card and then used with Cool Reader rather than jumbling everything up with the actual native Kindle books. If you don't have a lot of books on the device at any one time, you may not care, but I usually do. Cards are easier to backup if you're doing things like downloading lots of books from places like Manybooks.net. Lose the phone, you might lose the library--or at least have some trouble reconstructing it.

But you can do it however you want, of course. Weigh the pros and cons in light of how you use and collect eBooks. (And in fairness, many of the out=of=copyright classic books available for free in places like Manybooks are also available for free or nearly so on Amazon in Kindle compatible formats.)

The program to convert that was mentioned is called Calibre. It is wonderful, quick and almost flawless. Also free. If you need to convert, it's easily the way to go and you'll want to convert something at some point! But having more than 1 eReader installed is a good way to avoid having to constantly convert things.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2