Things I hate about my Note 10.1 2014

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a love/hate relationship with my new Samsung Note. A lot of its features are utterly fantastic, and it has so much more functionality than my iPad, which is an attractive but pretty useless toy by comparison. After about 8 weeks ownership of the Note I'm still learning how to use it, but here in no particular order, are some of my pet annoyances that I've been unable to solve thus far. ...

1. When I click on a .pdf download (and many other file types), I get a flash warning (believe these are called "toast"), saying "not a supported file type". Yet if I open up Polaris Office, hunt for the download then click on it, it opens just fine, so it IS a supported file type. This I think merely indicates the OS simply doesn't know Polaris or other apps capable of opening given file types, exist.... ie *in Windows speak, the file type associations aren't set.

2. The Toast warnings don't stay on screen for long enough. I generally only notice them just as they are vanishing. They are too quick to read at that stage and as far as I can see, the display time isn't configurable.

3. The keyboard size options are either too large or too small.

4. The keyboard has no left/right arrow cursor. (Few do, but would be a nice feature, and some of the wasted keyboard real estate could be better utilised I'm sure).

5. The stock android email app keeps deleting my emails. (The iPad doesn't). Tried lots of settings, but couldn't cure this. (However now sorted by using the wonderful Aqua Mail Pro app).

6. Multi window has a rather limited range of associated apps, eg, Polaris isn't on the list, and my new email client Aqua Mail, doesn't show, only the stock android email client, which I no longer use. (Can you add or delete apps on the multiwindow bar? )

7. The keyboard letters change to lower case when lower case is selected. You might think this is to be expected,*but this behaviour makes key selection/recognition less easy as it is constantly changing.

8. When dictating text using the microphone, I can't use voice commands for punctuation and formatting. eg full stop, new line, exclamation mark, brackets etc. *Using Siri on iOs, and Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows OS, you can!

9. Although there are a few text-to-speech options, there are none for speech-to-text.

10. Using the S pen, highlighting text accurately for cut or copy, is just about impossible. In Polaris it's pretty appalling, but on Web pages or email, it is so bad, it's unusable. *This feature on my iPad, by comparison is a delight.

11. The cut/copy/paste/etc. toolbar often vanishes before I have completed the required selection, because I generally need several attempts at this... toast display time interval again I guess.

12. The S pen is way too skinny and the button is nearly invisible.

13. The S pen plastic is very soft and after a couple of months of daily use, the finely textured button bars have become polished to the extent that I can barely feel them now with my index finger.

14. Depending on the screen I'm in, cut, copy and paste options appear in different ways or menus, making for a confusing, inconsistent and often awkward interface.

15. Can't rename a document directly in Polaris. *

16. The Smart screen options (stay, pause and scroll) simply don't work reliably. ... *unless the screen is about 8 inches from my face, at which distance I can't focus!

17. Scrolling Web pages with the S pen hover technique, the scroll speed is too fast and is not configurable. It works on some pages but not all, eg Polaris, so is additionally inconsistent and confusing. I know there is a scroll bar and slider in Polaris, but the latter doesn't always appear.

18. Although I've stopped apps auto updating, they are continually checking for, and advising me of available updates. This is even true for apps I've uninstalled!

19. The dreaded time lag when opening Web pages etc. *I improved this somewhat by stopping as many background processes as possible and by a hack in developer options, but still not great. *(I like my current layout and interface look, so am loathe to ditch Touchwiz in favour of Nova launcher, as I don't think I can revert if I don't like it).

20. Screen mirroring to my Samsung 3d Smart (allegedly) TV doesn't work reliably, and only in part. Some videos eg from U tube will show, but in appallingly poor vision and sound quality. *

21. Wireless streaming of purchased videos from Samsung video hub is impossible.

22. Although the TV finds my tablet, along with music and pictures, on the Note screen after scanning it says "no devices found"?

23. It seems to be impossible to mirror the tablet screen for email or Web etc. without using an HDMI cable.

24. Screen mirroring, Allshare play, Connect and share, Wi-fi direct, Multi share, Multi-connect, Samsung link, Media play, permitted devices, nearby devices, ...why so many names and so complicated for what should ostensibly be a simple feature?

25.The User Manual is badly written, not detailed enough, and the search feature difficult to use.

26. The search feature on the Samsung Manual.pdf, just plain doesn't work..

27. *Screen capture degrades and re-sizes the image.

There are a lot of quite complex interactive features on this tablet, and Samsung is to be commended for doing a pretty OK job of putting all this together, but they really should document and support this better.
These are just my views and experience, others may disagree.
This is not intended to be a rant, I really love this tablet, but it's disappointing to have all these minor annoyances, *and it's somewhat cathartic to get it off my chest. I'm sure a lot of other owners will identify with some of the points I've raised. Here's hoping Samsung takes in constructive criticism from these forums, and in the meantime, *I look forward to any comments/solutions proffered by the members of this great community.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow you put a lot of effort into putting all that together. I won't address each one but I will offer help on one

6. Multi window has a rather limited range of associated apps, eg, Polaris isn't on the list, and my new email client Aqua Mail, doesn't show, only the stock android email client, which I no longer use. (Can you add or delete apps on the multiwindow bar? )

Multi view does support Polaris as well as the Gmail app. To add apps to the panel, tap the little dots triangle on the bottom of the panel, then tap edit and you will see the apps you can drag to add to multi panel

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
24. Screen mirroring, Allshare play, Connect and share, Wi-fi direct, Multi share, Multi-connect, Samsung link, Media play, permitted devices, nearby devices, ...why so many names and so complicated for what should ostensibly be a simple feature?

TOTALLY AGREE with you on this one. I have spent countless hours on the phone with the ill equipt Samsung tech support on trying to decypher this

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help on Multi window dianehelen. I did have a look at this before, but obviously didn't try hard enough.
On the screen mirroring, I'm buying a new Samsung TV in the next few days, so I may yet manage this, but don't hold out much hope.
26 to go then. ...

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Quick question, if I install Nova Launcher and don't like it, can I revert back to TW ?
Granted, some points raised could be considered a bit picky, but some of them like the difficulty encountered accurately highlighting text for cut or copy, or inability to dictate formatting commands, are MAJOR functionality flaws in my book, bordering on a deal breaker! Depends though on what you use the tablet for.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
And just a tip on the screen mirroring. If you use Samsung link, its really quite easy to send pics and videos to your samsung tv. The whole confusion with screen mirroring, wifi direct, etc, is very annoying, but for me, it came down to using samsung link, and I can EASILY send pics and vids to my samsung tv.
Also, not sure if you knew or figured this out yet, Polaris can print directly to a network printer if its on your wifi network. I really love this, as printing via cloud is annoying and buggy. I use Kingsoft Office for my docs, as its much better and more user friendly than Polaris, but does not have direct printing. So I do the docs in Kings, then just open them in Polaris if I need to print.

No perfect world, but its still a great device and I have been able to be very productive with it

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have found Apex Launcher really good, I like it more than Nova. And YES if you change launchers you can always change back. Also, you dont lose access to your touch wiz features, it just makes the whole interface better, more customizable, and maybe a bit snappier, but I really dont have issues with lag or speed. I just have used Apex for a while and love it.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
8. When dictating text using the microphone, I can't use voice commands for punctuation and formatting. eg full stop, new line, exclamation mark, brackets etc. *Using Siri on iOs, and Dragon Naturally Speaking on Windows OS, you can!

Try the Swype keyboard, it comes with Dragon, and is pretty good, also I think it actually does take some voice commands for formatting and puntuation. Its free to try and the paid one has a few more features.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a love/hate relationship with my new Samsung Note. A lot of its features are utterly fantastic, and it has so much more functionality than my iPad, which is an attractive but pretty useless toy by comparison. After about 8 weeks ownership of the Note I'm still learning how to use it, but here in no particular order, are some of my pet annoyances that I've been unable to solve thus far. ...

1. When I click on a .pdf download (and many other file types), I get a flash warning (believe these are called "toast"), saying "not a supported file type". Yet if I open up Polaris Office, hunt for the download then click on it, it opens just fine, so it IS a supported file type. This I think merely indicates the OS simply doesn't know Polaris or other apps capable of opening given file types, exist.... ie *in Windows speak, the file type associations aren't set.

Install Adobe Reader. That should set up a PDF file association. On my S4, there is no problem, though, choosing all the programs that read PDFs. It gives me a list.

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have found Apex Launcher really good, I like it more than Nova. And YES if you change launchers you can always change back. Also, you dont lose access to your touch wiz features, it just makes the whole interface better, more customizable, and maybe a bit snappier, but I really dont have issues with lag or speed. I just have used Apex for a while and love it.

When you reboot or restart your tablet, does the Widget disappear like it did with mine? I had to delete Apex and install Nova.

RedSwedishFish

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
12. The S pen is way too skinny and the button is nearly invisible.

13. The S pen plastic is very soft and after a couple of months of daily use, the finely textured button bars have become polished to the extent that I can barely feel them now with my index finger.

There have been many recommendations on how you can create a more "weighted" pen, at this thread on XDA: Any full size weighted stylus that is confirmed to work? - Page 12 - xda-developers

I like the idea of hollowing out a Pilot G2 pen and dropping in the stylus. Note that if you get any other sort of stylus (e.g., for any previous galaxy model or otherwise), there will likely be an offset, which you may or may not be able to adjust in each application. Personally, I went out and bought one of these: Samsung Galaxy Note S Pen Holder Kit (Bulk) - $19.95 and just carry it around separately from the tablet (but note that this pen is for the galaxy note 8 or something, so there is a slight offset if you hold the pen at an angle rather than perfectly perpendicular, but it's not enough to bother me). If/when I get a proper case that I like for the tablet, it will have a pen loop in it for the stylus.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think he's asking about Touchwiz specific widgets not being available in Nova or Apex. I think.

None of the OP's list particularly resonates with me because it's not connected to functionality I don't use or simply doesn't bother me.

The only things I particularly hate about the Note are the battery (doesn't last long enough and takes too long to charge) and the awkward placement of the buttons in portrait mode.

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I only have a note 2 right now but I do agree with the bulk of these complaints. And sounds like a lot of it could be fixed if touchwiz was given the boot and we had stock android. Waiting on cyanogenmod for the note 10.1!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I only have a note 2 right now but I do agree with the bulk of these complaints.1!

All I can say is, with all these complaints, I bet there would be a lot of folks happy to take the 2014 off anyone's hands, at a steep discount, of course, since it's used and has all these problems! :) :cool:

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Got my new Samsung telly, a UE46F7000., and guess what, it took me about 5 seconds to set up wireless screen mirroring, which works perfectly. Haven't tried it with purchased videos from the Samsung video hub though. Unfortunately I didn't like the TV for a lot of different reasons, and it wasn't a patch on my previous UE46C7000 so it's going back to John Lewis this week.

Haven't got round to trying some of the other suggestions proffered in this thread yet, as I've now got a new problem..... my Note occasionally refuses to boot.
First time the battery was at 47% in the evening, switched off overnight, tried to boot, no joy. Plugged it in to the charger, which told me the battery was at 0%?

Second time, switched off at 64%, but wouldn't boot 2 hours later? Eventually managed it though by holding down the start, home and volume up keys together. Battery still at 64%.... Worrying!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
are you using the charger that it came with? I was having charging issues using another usb micro charger (I have tons of em around the house). when I tried with the charger in the box, never had the problem again.

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yup, using the original charger that came in the box with the tablet. I do have a 64 Gb card in the tablet, and have since new. I see some people get issues with boot loops etc with these.