Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrteeth
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By ddavtian
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Knock off Note 10.1

I work at a computer retailer where we fix computers, copiers, phones, tablets, etc. A customer brought by a Note 10.1 2014 edition. He said it wouldn't turn on. His kids played with it, did something with it, and now it won't power up.

Upon closer inspections,I noticed two odd things about this tablet. I took mine out and laid it on top to make sure it was a 2014 edition. It seems to be: same size, physical home button on the bottom. However, there are three glaring differences:

1. The side trim on his tablet has a flat silver finish. Mine was chrome like and has ridges on it.
    2. His MicroSD slot was on top next to the power/volume button. Mine was on the right.
    3. The microphone hole on the bottom of his is on right side of the docking port. Mine is on the left side.

I Googled some of the images to look at the trim. All of them that I saw had the chrome trim with ridges. He said he bought this at Walmart for $499 but didn't say when. So is it possible that they have to different versions of the 2014 edition? Was his a cheap knockoff?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Knock off Note 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteeth View Post
    I work at a computer retailer where we fix computers, copiers, phones, tablets, etc. A customer brought by a Note 10.1 2014 edition. He said it wouldn't turn on. His kids played with it, did something with it, and now it won't power up.

Upon closer inspections,I noticed two odd things about this tablet. I took mine out and laid it on top to make sure it was a 2014 edition. It seems to be: same size, physical home button on the bottom. However, there are three glaring differences:

1. The side trim on his tablet has a flat silver finish. Mine was chrome like and has ridges on it.
    2. His MicroSD slot was on top next to the power/volume button. Mine was on the right.
    3. The microphone hole on the bottom of his is on right side of the docking port. Mine is on the left side.

I Googled some of the images to look at the trim. All of them that I saw had the chrome trim with ridges. He said he bought this at Walmart for $499 but didn't say when. So is it possible that they have to different versions of the 2014 edition? Was his a cheap knockoff?
    It might be. Walmart is notorious for things like that. Do you have pictures of the supposed fake tablet?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Knock off Note 10.1-note2014a.jpg

This is the picture from the top.Notice the trim and notice the SD card slot.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

This is my tablet from the top.
    Knock off Note 10.1-note2014c.jpg

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Note2014a.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	98897

Looks like a non-shiny plastic on the side.

I looked it up and yeah it seems the 2014 edition has a "chrome" finish on the side.

Does the back side have that " sewn leather" look to it?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

This is my tablet from the top.

Name:	Note2014c.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	98898
    Yeah it doesn't seem to add up. Even the pictures from Samsung's website have a different look.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Gee...didn't think about that. I just looked. Nope It does NOT have the faux leather with stitching like mine. It is all plastic but not flat like the old version. This seems to have a white 'carbon fiber' grain to it. Very weird. Is it possible that this is an "International" version? You know how some are shipped with dual core processors and some are shipped with quad core processors.

That's the layout of the original Note 10.1, but there would be front facing speakers if it was.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Correct. But the size is identical to mine. The home button is a physical button, just like mine. I can't turn it on to verify anything else.

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Gee...didn't think about that. I just looked. Nope It does NOT have the faux leather with stitching like mine. It is all plastic but not flat like the old version. This seems to have a white 'carbon fiber' grain to it. Very weird. Is it possible that this is an "International" version? You know how some are shipped with dual core processors and some are shipped with quad core processors.
    That may be possible as they said the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 would come in multiple versions.

Maybe it's a Tab 3, they do look awfully similar...

Interesting. Does it have a 30-pin connector on the other side, or is it a micro-usb connector? Also, could it be one of the LTE models that are sold overseas (the P601 or P605 versions)? On the back, there should be a model number written in tiny font.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

OK. Problem solved. I asked my technician. He told me the model number off the back is GT-P5210. It is indeed the Galaxy Tab 3. They are nearly identical to the Note 10.1 2014 edition in terms of size. Good call Spookdroid.
    SpookDroid and wizzrah like this.

Hehe, the only reason I know is because that's the model that was sold in my country when the new Note came out. For a minute I was shocked to see a new tablet hit Mexican stores so soon after launch, but when I tried it, it was missing a few key features I'd read about the Note 10.1. That's when I noticed the "Tab 3" moniker on the price tag.
    wizzrah likes this.

OK. Problem solved. I asked my technician. He told me the model number off the back is GT-P5210. It is indeed the Galaxy Tab 3. They are nearly identical to the Note 10.1 2014 edition in terms of size. Good call Spookdroid.
    Big difference between Note and Tab versions: S pen.
    SpookDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Hopefully the guy didn't pay 550 bucks for a galaxy tab 3 :o

If he got it in Mexico he did :P (prices can be up to 200 bucks over the MSRP in the US).
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well I spoke to him today. We opened up the thing and there's Coke/Pepsi residue all over the place. You can see all these sticky brown goo on the motherboard. His kid must have poured their pop on this thing. I told him we can attempt a water repair, but there's no guarantee it would work. He said he's disappointed because he paid......$500 for it. I didn't realize Tab3s were that much. He said he got it at Walmart not too long ago. Either he's exaggerating or he got a got food, toilet paper, and his wife's grocery list as well.

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Well I spoke to him today. We opened up the thing and there's Coke/Pepsi residue all over the place. You can see all these sticky brown goo on the motherboard. His kid must have poured their pop on this thing. I told him we can attempt a water repair, but there's no guarantee it would work. He said he's disappointed because he paid......$500 for it. I didn't realize Tab3s were that much. He said he got it at Walmart not too long ago. Either he's exaggerating or he got a got food, toilet paper, and his wife's grocery list as well.
    Yeah, but the galaxy tab 3 isn't 500 bucks. He got ripped off by Wal-Mart o_o

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Yeah he did

I think when the ten inch Tab 3 came out it was either $450 or $499 at Walmart. They have come down to around $359 now for the ten inch Tab 3 but sale prices come in at around $299. Shame the guy didn't think about buying a protection plan. Square Trade Warranty has good prices to cover tablets for up to three years and if you sign up for their newsletter on Facebook they will send you a 30% off coupon. As delicate as these devices are I want mine protected against drops and spills.

Kevin